It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen goods on ebay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
What is the best way to deal with stolen goods on ebay?

I own a small business. One of my products is a small transducer speaker. A few months ago I had ordered some from the manufacturer along with some other parts. These are custom made for me and my business. When the shipment arrived, they were all gone. The manufacturer made things right with me, and collected the insurance I believe.

Now however they are up on ebay. They are for sure the ones, as they have my logo, and in the original shipping package.

Anyone have anything like this happen?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Hell hath no fury like an insurance company scorned...

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Report it to the manufacturer, so he can tell his insurance company.
That insurance company WILL take matters into their hands.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If you want advice, you need to give people the relevant information.

Why not start with what country you are from and what State you are in.

Then perhaps some advice would be forthcoming.

P

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Report it to ebay!!

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Report it to the manufacturer, so he can tell his insurance company.
That insurance company WILL take matters into their hands.

If the seller is a "legitimate" company the insurance company will go after them to recoup their costs from paying out a claim.

So yes, report it to the manufacturer, or if you know what insurance company he has report it to them. Nothing may come of it, but they are the ones that ultimately have the largest recourse and interest in pursuing the seller of stolen goods on ebay.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   
One caveat though.

If your manufacturer is in china and the seller of stolen goods is in china then you might as well not even spend another second wasting any time/mental energy on this.
edit on 16-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

eBay has an active loss prevention team and they coordinate with law enforcement to help recover stolen property and prosecute people for selling stolen property. A lot of retail theft ends up on eBay and they are typically pretty aggressive about trying to get rid of it and identify the sellers for law enforcement.

File a report with your local PD and give them all the eBay information. The seller ID, item information, how you know it’s stolen, etc. Do not contact eBay yourself because they won’t work with you directly. It’s no different than asking your local Best But for their CCTV footage: they won’t give it to you but they’ll give it to law enforcement.

It sucks for you but the good news is this is a pretty routine occurrence for eBay so they won’t have to reinvent the wheel once LE contacts them. Just don’t wait too long to file a report.

Hope this helps

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
OK, thanks guys. Honestly, it is probably not worth the trouble. I figured they were damaged in shipping, and just got tossed, but apparently they made their way into someones hands.

I see 2 different sellers have them. One has 5, the other 25. I think in that order I had 100, so either a bunch already sold, were damaged, or are floating around someplace.

It just sucks that people do this kind of thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Literally as simple as giving a statement to your local PD.

People do this kind of thing because people think giving a statement is “not worth the trouble.”

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

People do this kind of thing because people think giving a statement is “not worth the trouble.”

If it's all internet based and involves other countries(I assume it does), a local PD report would seem like an absolute waste of time.

I'd still report it, but to the company or the insurance company that payed out. But calling a county station to report a international seller selling a product of mine manufactured in a different country would get filed away and forgotten, rightfully so.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think that the authorities should be contacted, but who do you contact? I am sure they will just give you the runaround unless the seller is right from your precinct or local area.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   

True. By not turning it in, it could encourage more. Did not even think about it that way. Thanks for the good advice.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Insurance companies have investigators to look into their claims and such. They would be the ones that would actually care to and have a reason to followup on something like this.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
How is the price on ebay?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

If it's all internet based and involves other countries(I assume it does), a local PD report would seem like an absolute waste of time.

I'd still report it, but to the company or the insurance company that payed out. But calling a county station to report a international seller selling a product of mine manufactured in a different country would get filed away and forgotten, rightfully so.

Actually, it is all within the US. Shipped from Buffalo, to Corning NY area. The seller is in Georgia. Who knows how they made it that far.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

Actually, it is all within the US. Shipped from Buffalo, to Corning NY area. The seller is in Georgia. Who knows how they made it that far.

Well that is different, but still involves multiple police agencies. See my post above. The insurance company has the most incentive to investigate this, getting the information to them would be the most beneficial way to seek any sort of outcome.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
How is the price on ebay?

Really good actually. $200 for 25 of them. I wire them up with the proper connectors, and individually box them. These are no wires, in the plastic shipping container as they would come to me.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Well that is different, but still involves multiple police agencies. See my post above. The insurance company has the most incentive to investigate this, getting the information to them would be the most beneficial way to seek any sort of outcome.

Would the insurance company even bother over a couple of hundred bucks? They would probably spend more than that investigating.
edit on 16-8-2019 by MrRCflying because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Would the insurance company even bother over a couple of hundred bucks? They would probably spend more than that investigating.

Probably not, but they are the only ones that would have any recourse. Since you were compensated with product and the manufacturer was presumed to be compensated for the loss. They are the only one that is "out" anything.

They wouldn't bother probably for a few hundred bucks.

If that's the case(the small cost) you might as well contact ebay and try to get the seller removed for selling product with your business name on it, that they are not a part of. That's the best you could probably hope for.
edit on 16-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join