It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus May Have Had a Wife, Ancient Text Suggests

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I would assume people who have wondered for themselves might have heard or thought Jesus had a wife; regardless of the Catholic Church or the absence of a wife in the new testament writings. Yes there have been books written and theories put forth that he was married but many lacked any substantial proof but, IMO they did make sense considering the society and the times Jesus supposedly existed ..

It would appear that a new scrap of evidence has been discovered and I do mean a scrap. news.nationalgeographic.com...

Papyrus fragment makes first reference to Jesus' spouse.
That's the question that scholars are asking after a centuries-old scrap of papyrus surfaced with a reference to Jesus' wifeβ€”a subject of much speculation over the centuries but with no compelling evidence to back it up.
The papyrus made international headlines when it was cited in a new paper by Harvard historian Karen King. Smaller than a business card, the fragment includes several lines of handwritten text, composed in Coptic language, which uses Christian symbols.
The final line of text includes the words: "And Jesus said, My Wife..." while quoting Jesus.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The article you linked is from 2012. There are several threads about this on ATS.

New Early Christian Text, Indicates Jesus May Have Been Married

'Proof' Jesus was married found on ancient papyrus that mentions how son of God spoke of his wife

Gospel of Jesus's Wife is fake, claims expert
edit on 31-7-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Poor sod!

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Poor sod!

hahahaah Actually I hope he was married and got to enjoy the love of a woman.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Jesus also had a older brother, James, from the same mother. Kinda puts a dent in the immaculate conception thingy.

I think one of the reasons TPTB hide information on Aliens is so that, if we found out Aliens existed in other constellations, why would God send his only begotten Son to this little planet and not the others?

Anyways, good op, been following that, seems to be legit, especially the ink matching the papyrus age.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Poor sod!

Sandwiches n stuff... πŸ˜‰

On a serious note... this will piss of a couple of bible bashers methinks!?

Lags

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
oooooOOOOOO

That time of the day for double posts.

Gnuuurrffffff....

Lags
edit on 31-7-2019 by Lagomorphe because: It’s that crap time of the day.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Jesus' wife is the church.
Even a cursory glance at scripture shows this. Don't forget as we get closer to the end deception will spiral out of control.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Village Idiot

how ???????????????

there are scores of logical issues with the claims of jesus and the bible

but the claim of a brother [ born of natural means ] - is not one of them

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I wonder if she was a fishwife.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Poor sod!

Lags
Why would that piss off bible bashers? There is nothing sinful about marriage. Even if he had children with her I would not be upset. His purity is still intact.

I doubt that he did have a wife because I feel it would be mentioned in scripture, but the bible tells us what we NEED to know. It does not necessarily tell every there IS to know.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

Poor sod!

Lags
Why would that piss off bible bashers? There is nothing sinful about marriage. Even if he had children with her I would not be upset. His purity is still intact.

I doubt that he did have a wife because I feel it would be mentioned in scripture, but the bible tells us what we NEED to know. It does not necessarily tell every there IS to know.

In my own humble opinion the bible tells you what you WANT to believe or know.

Lags

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 05:36 AM
link   
According to the norms of the day it would have been incredibly unusual if Jesus hadn't been married and given the highly censored and selective nature of The Bible there's really nothing to suggest he wasn't.

Not too sure about Jesus being 'The Son of God' but if he did exist he certainly seems like a decent sort of guy, definitely well intentioned.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Removing this post because it was offensive to some.
I will leave this discussion now.

edit on 7312019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Well that explains going out with your friends for supper staying late drinking wine things going bad and disappearing for 3 days.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
The Da Vinci Code is not ancient text.
It was written in 2003.
They even made a movie about it starring Tom Hanks.
It is completely fiction.

What are you on about?

Did you read the link from National Geographic in the OP?

Lags

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
The Da Vinci Code is not ancient text.
It was written in 2003.
They even made a movie about it starring Tom Hanks.
It is completely fiction.

What are you on about?

Did you read the link from National Geographic in the OP?

Lags

It is better to avoid pink in some threads.. As opinions come regardless of the topic or the proof provided.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It's tempting to believe that due to the normal expectations of the times that Jesus was married. But I find it hard to believe that a guy that wandered around the middle east without money or a home base would be married. I think that would have been used against him and mentioned in the Bible. He would have gotten the same treatment that the president is getting but far worse IMO if he was married and didn't provide for his family.

If he was married and his wife was a follower, she would have been mentioned for the part she played. Maybe there is a conspiracy because it wasn't stated in the Bible that he was single or married, or that a lot of information outside of the accepted biblical texts is omitted. IMO, that is the main concern with this new finding, not that he was actually married.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Hasn't it also been suggested that Jesus was a relatively wealthy, possibly even royal, person.
If so then even more reason to think he would have been married and explain how he provided for his wife.

The writings that comprise The New Testament are highly edited and very selective.

I suspect no-one will ever know 'the truth' about Jesus and his life.

Whilst personally not being religious I do however have huge respect for Jesus's teachings and message.
Shame its been so manipulated and twisted in so many of its interpretations.

posted on Jul, 31 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Nope.
You recommend it?
Dont you think if Jesus was married we'd know about it already?

Sounds like a plot to disrupt the foundation of the Catholic church.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join