It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ancient gods are humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I have a thoery about the ancient gods and goddess. of course this is just a theory i have thought of. i beleive the ancient gods egypt, greek, roman, norse, ect are or were humans. they mearly had more abiltys than the avarege human. they were then obviously ambitious and used this ambition and there extra gifts to become the ancient gods.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Nice theory......could have happened. Not to highjack the thread....but my theory is that the ancient gods were and are the "angels" and saints (lesser gods) of Christianity. The angels of today have the same "abilities" and correspondents (sp?) that the ancient gods had.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by MacMerdin]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
Nice theory......could have happened. Not to highjack the thread....but my theory is that the ancient gods were and are the "angels" and saints (lesser gods) of Christianity. The angels of today have the same "abilities" and correspondents (sp?) that the ancient gods had.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by MacMerdin]

But the ancient gods are SO much more diverse than the angels... Angels are there to serve God, no more no less. Their "abilties" as you put it focus on the divine mind, wisdom, soul, healing, mercy, etc and so on. The ancient gods on the other hand are as devious as they are numerous.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by merka]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonbeam13
I have a thoery about the ancient gods and goddess. of course this is just a theory i have thought of. i beleive the ancient gods egypt, greek, roman, norse, ect are or were humans. they mearly had more abiltys than the avarege human. they were then obviously ambitious and used this ambition and there extra gifts to become the ancient gods.

We've known for a long time that certain people get turned into deities by their culture. One of the most striking examples is the goddess, Pele (of Hawaii), who -- according to native Hawai'ian scholars -- actually was a real woman. I can't find the reference now, but it was one of the royalty of the Hawai'ian peoples who did the research and wrote about it.

And of course there's Asclepus and so forth.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin

Yes, that's well-documented as well. Christianity co-opted the old gods into the religion as saints in hopes of winning more converts. The old gods were around long before Christianity, though.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
its an intresting version however there is just one prob with saying angels were gods. if you look at the bible god say you will not bow down to any other god so why would he allow angels to immortalise themselves like that. another problem is that angels are not human and fame and power is a human qualitie, something i doubt angels would seek.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
``

good eye & thinking there moonbeam13

if we didn't have TV & such today, people like Mother Theresa
and illusionists like David Copperfield would be thought of as
godlike & having supernatural powers, abilities, discipline.

not too long ago, the legendary characters like Merlin or
Lancelot were held in lofty esteem...their legends flourished
because of traveling bards & storytellers, minstrels & such.
the anglos and every other culture or peoples or tribes or clans
had (and to a degree still have) these 'extraordinary people'

Paris Hilton? Donald Trump? Martha Stewart?
Neo-cons? Jihadists? Oligarchs?
**sheeze- -i perfer the ancient men&women of renown!**

[edit on 4-3-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
id choose Isis over Paris Hilton anyday

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonbeam13another problem is that angels are not human and fame and power is a human qualitie, something i doubt angels would seek.

Wasn't Lucifer an angel that sought power?

Why were we commanded not to worship any other god if there is only one god?

And...what about angels verses arch-angels, like Gabriel? Different levels of power and fame?

As for the ancient Gods being human...we were made in "thier image" that is in the image of the Elohim. Why do we not use all of our briain? Maybe ancient man and or the Elohim used all of thier brain and so were much smarter thus powerful than we are today.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish

Originally posted by moonbeam13another problem is that angels are not human and fame and power is a human qualitie, something i doubt angels would seek.

Wasn't Lucifer an angel that sought power?

Why were we commanded not to worship any other god if there is only one god?

And...what about angels verses arch-angels, like Gabriel? Different levels of power and fame?

As for the ancient Gods being human...we were made in "thier image" that is in the image of the Elohim. Why do we not use all of our briain? Maybe ancient man and or the Elohim used all of thier brain and so were much smarter thus powerful than we are today.

you make a good point. but the diffrent levels arent levels so to speak they are diffrent angels created for diffrent jobs. remember as i said they arent human with human desires. im not sure on luciefer i have my own theorys on him.
that is though where all extra abiltys come from is people able to use a part of the brain most cant so that would fit into my theory.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i think the gods in mytholgy were real..but i don't think they were humans, but rather the angels cast out of heaven.They have supernatural powers that would have been viewed as Gods.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by moonbeam13

We've known for a long time that certain people get turned into deities by their culture. One of the most striking examples is the goddess, Pele (of Hawaii), who -- according to native Hawai'ian scholars -- actually was a real woman. I can't find the reference now, but it was one of the royalty of the Hawai'ian peoples who did the research and wrote about it.

And of course there's Asclepus and so forth.

Byrd i am a native royal hawaiian decendent of queen lilliokalani and king kamehameha and Pele the god of fire is a shapeshifting woman legend tells that during a volcano eruption Pele will choose one person and ask them nicely for some thing like a can of sausage to a pillow she will not ask for things that you do not have giving her what she wants will lesson the magnitude of the eruption but if you do not give her what she wants she will make the devestation worse

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I dont think that the mythilogical ancient gods were mere humans, nor do i think they were angels.
The best theory ive heard was that they were a adanced alien race, probably very similar to humans but nevertheless way more advanced.
Now when i say alien i do not only mean a race from outer space, but it could of easily also of been a race of humans from other parts of the world who were much more advanced. As to say for example the anciet gods could of been aryans, or even atlantians.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
I dont think that the mythilogical ancient gods were mere humans, nor do i think they were angels.
The best theory ive heard was that they were a adanced alien race, probably very similar to humans but nevertheless way more advanced.
Now when i say alien i do not only mean a race from outer space, but it could of easily also of been a race of humans from other parts of the world who were much more advanced. As to say for example the anciet gods could of been aryans, or even atlantians.

that is very possible it could explain a lot.

new topics

top topics

join