It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why all the hate for the material world my dudes?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Thank you,

For me to receive any praise is rarer than rocking horse # so I appreciate that. I’ll throw some back at you for your posts and your quotes in your avatar.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

I thought as well your reply was an interesting take on the subject.

Sometimes magic happens.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

If you have no proof of a spiritual world or the absence there of, what type of belief would make this observable material reality more enjoyable? That upon death you simply cease to exist or that you have an immortal soul?

Would there be any consequences to belief in a soul, especially if you could ditch the religious BS?

Maybe that would allow some freedom that being atheist doesn't provide? Maybe the simple belief in the soul (without the religious BS) will elevate mankind.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: Omniview

It’s not the material world, it’s the material mindset that values material things over others. This leads to the wanton greed that causes so much of the worlds problems.

But all there is are material things. What “others” do we value material things over?

Our ideas aren’t material, the Information Age we exist in isn’t material, though it could be argued everything is in fact information on a quantum level but that’s another subject.

If you like and value someone because of who they are as opposed to what they can do for you, that isn’t materialistic either. The way it should be if you ask me.

Let me be clear though I have no problems with material things, I am not like the aesthetics who reject all worldly desires. I just don’t give them any real value in the sense that I know they can only bring a fleeting happiness at best and be a burden or an obstacle to real happiness at worst.

Rather I value genuine friendships and relationships, the good and even the bad interactions with others. As bad interactions help you grow and appreciate the good all the more so. I get more joy from giving than receiving especially when that other has a genuine need of something I can provide. The best thing anyone can give is their love and friendship.

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Your confusing me!

the lightning only hits once? And then everything is clear and nothing has to be added or taken away?
Can this state of mind be put into words?

do we have to face things we don't like, or is there nothing to be fixed?

What is this long established paradigm your talking of?

posted on Jul, 11 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Have you ever had dreams about flying?

Birds don't hate the physical world. Neither do fish. Rich people don't either. Only poor people who can't afford a hoverchopper or a scubamarine. Obviously humans could fly/swim through the air before coming to the physical world and being stripped of that right.

posted on Jul, 12 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Prene

Is there air in a non physical world?

i have met many people that would be considered poor that love their experience!
I'm one of them!
We don't have lots of money but we have lots time!!!

NC

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuckyWunderlick

It’s not the material world, it’s the material mindset that values material things over others. This leads to the wanton greed that causes so much of the worlds problems.

But all there is are material things. What “others” do we value material things over?

Our ideas aren’t material, the Information Age we exist in isn’t material, though it could be argued everything is in fact information on a quantum level but that’s another subject.

If you like and value someone because of who they are as opposed to what they can do for you, that isn’t materialistic either. The way it should be if you ask me.

Let me be clear though I have no problems with material things, I am not like the aesthetics who reject all worldly desires. I just don’t give them any real value in the sense that I know they can only bring a fleeting happiness at best and be a burden or an obstacle to real happiness at worst.

Rather I value genuine friendships and relationships, the good and even the bad interactions with others. As bad interactions help you grow and appreciate the good all the more so. I get more joy from giving than receiving especially when that other has a genuine need of something I can provide. The best thing anyone can give is their love and friendship.

If you value someone for who they are, their being, you value their material body, because that is who they are. If you value what they can do for you, you only value the idea of them, not their reality.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Couldn't find another comment to use that video on, as somewhat expected and described by the word "rare" in my previous comment about it.

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I agree with the sentiment of what you're saying - but I think it comes down to mental illness of the perpetrator as well. Sex simply shouldn't be stigmatized for young people like it is, as its a totally natural thing. But i cant see it purely being the cause of teenage minds snapping to the point where the best feasible option is mass murder - other factors have to come into play. If it was simple as that, surely they could just go find a hooker - get their jolly's and not feel the need to ruin many lives.

Unfortunately today, mental illness is just awfully prominent due to the fk'd up nature of social media and hell; their everyday lives.

Personally, I think alot of it boils down to kids these days not having a hobby - something positive to put their energy and thoughts towards. For me, I started building and racing cars when i was 11. Throughout my whole teenage life, my motivations for working hard in school, having a after school job and practically everything i did were too further my hobbys. Sure I tried drugs and drank, but it never impacted on my life because I always had set goals and if what i was doing wasnt making that goal more attainable, I didnt put alot of thought or time into it.

Take these goals away from kids, suddenly all they have to do is browse the vitriol that's spat all over social media what with awful comments and society's expectations of you, surely that # has to affect your brain negatively.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think it more or less, how mundane it can end being
People put all sorts of time an energy into the idea that having all sorts of possessions will make them happy. While it great to have options that material wealth can give, it will only go so far. A lot of people do it to impress others, while some do it for themselves an are content...while still impressing others.

Not that I have anything against materialism, but it might be the actual journey rather then getting to a destination that makes it worth while.

Sort of like revenge, what does one do after it accomplished, since they cant rest. Where as the idea of enlightenment, ascension, blahs blahs, is about finding peace in the most unlikely of places.

edit on 20-7-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Jesus, make us all spiritual. Yes, Jesus, free us from psychological enslavement!

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The real purpose of this realm is not to escape but to experience all the extremes of dualities in our sensations. So as long as we have egotistical desires, we will not awaken. Its only when we have experienced, all that we can experience, will we feel a desire to awaken from the dream.

If the world was perfect (true love for one another) then how could we experience all the extremes of dualities in our sensations. The thing is, our ego-brain isn't perfect. Its incapable of understanding true love. If the ego-brain didn't achieve anything in return for love, it wouldn't be in love, its only looking for self rewards.

So the real issue for you are your desires. If your inner self wants you to experience more dualities in this realm then perhaps religion is not for you.

posted on Jul, 20 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge...
Ephesians 3;19

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

I agree with the purpose of this life!
It is the beauty of emotions!

But this state can not be achieved through religion only!

You need to be able to integrate everything that is into a simple but graspable model, so your mind isn't worried about reality anymore and can understand and work in it!

I guess 3 is to complicated for most so they settle with one, it's the same, but one can not paint nor dance alone!

Sincerely No Clue

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Outside of time and space is this that actually is!!

Time is a thought that happens.... where and when do thoughts happen?
Do thoughts happen in time (past/future)? Or do thoughts that speak of time happen presently and disappear presently?

There is no actual time in direct experience..... time is a mental concept... an idea that happens presently.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   

So what is there really?

Just the present appearance is.

Where is 5 minutes ago? Where is 5 minutes from now?

So where is the material world?

There is only ever what there is..... everything else is a concept (an idea) appearing presently and disappearing presently.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge...
Ephesians 3;19

What is there if thought and language is not?
Thought and language speak about 'things'....... Alan Watts said 'thinking is thinging!'....
Here and now there is no thing..... the non conceptual is what is.
Only when the non conceptual aware space is unveiled will true love be experienced.
True love is when no things conflict....... when there is no thing there is love.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: NoClue

Think you have hit the nail on the head, noclue.

posted on Jul, 21 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: NoClue

All painting and dancing simply happens...... there isn't a separate doer.
All is done (on earth as it is in heaven).

There isn't anyone..... it is just happening.

Dancing is the one dancing (dancing is being dancing) .... if there was someone doing dancing that would be two.

Only when the illusory two are found to be one shall the kingdom be revealed.
edit on 21-7-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join