It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A CALL TO EVERYONE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hello All fellow ATSers.

For the sake of this thread I would love everyone to put their differences aside; political, economic, social etc etc...

ATS is a wonderful place and I have been scouring the forums on and off for the last 2/3 years. It's not always doom and gloom, but very rarely do we ever get positive posts were everyone can join in.

I would like us all to share a story of the most impacting positive gesture someone has shown towards you.

Like i said this is a safe place for EVERYONE.
So if you find yourself wanting to flex your ego or grab your shield and sword because your all of a sudden a "keyboard warrior" please politely vacate to other threads.

*apologise for any misspellings or punctuation flaws, im posting on my phone which is kind of awkward*

Go...
edit on 1-7-2019 by brandonforsyth11 because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I was working security at a local campground on weekends. The manager called me to the office because a shabby looking guy on foot had used the rest room nearest the office at the park entrance. The manager wanted to to get him out of the park because he looked suspicious and had caused concern of his intentions.

When I got up there he was on his way out just past the entrance gate. I recognized him. He was the local drunk that was likely looking for returnable bottles and cans to get his next beer. When I caught up to him he was near the dumpster and I told him that the manager was upset he was in the park, but instead of treating him like some criminal I told him the manager wanted him gone and that I normally didn't do this when I jumped into the dumpster and retrieved some returnables for him. I then gave him a handful of cigarettes and told him that that I was sorry to have to make him leave.

I knew him by his street name and that he lived only about a mile from me. He told me his real name and said "God bless you." before he left. He was pretty much scorned and shunned by the community, but he really appreciated that I treated him well. Just a couple years later when he was walking on the road near his home, he was hit by a car and died on the street, just as I imagined he might end up one day. He was one of very few people who ever said "God bless you" and really meant it. I give more weight to his blessing than anyone I met at a church including the pastor.

Hebrews 13:2
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If we can count a teacher in your catagories I would like to talk about my senior lit proffessor in high school..

His name was Mr. Switzer. He was old and close to retiring and was one of those teachers who truly took an interest in his students who showed desire to learn. He had a peccadillo. It was cliches. He hated them.

We were constantly harangued with his hatred of them, going so far as to flunk any paper written for him that contained one. He would mark the grade we might have received for a paper right under the big F that went in the record. He had no leniency for them.

He made out a list of chiches that he gave us on our very first day and told us if we used any of them on that list we would flunk the term.

He taught us that cliches were a cheap way of writing, relying upon old and hackneyed phrases to make our points. He told us to find new ways to express what we were thinking and saying.

Little did I know at that time that by escaping the use of cliches would allow for inventive thought,creative thought that approached life with the perspective growth and inquisitiveness. That man and his teaching has helped me throughout my life.

Side note. The final week of the school year, my senior year, had a number of special activities. Every morning announcements were made over the school intercom during first period, the period I sat in his class.

Well, I had to make one of those announcements for a band event and went on the intercom. In writing the announcement, I had taken his list of cliches and stuffed the announcement with as many of them as I could. When I was done, I walked down to his class room opened the door and walked to my seat. Mr. Switzer was walking up and down the isles, waving his hands in the air like Bernie Sanders and was fuming from his ears. Half way down one isle, after having noticed me coming in late , he stopped, and got very quiet. He turned around looked at me, pointed and said, Mr. McGuire, that was you wasn't it? I said, ''yes sir, it was. He smiled and walked over, shook my hand and said, good one Terry, good one.
It was a great boost to have had him accept my joke on him.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Many years ago a neighbor asked me for help wiring and plumbing an unfinished basement in his brand new home; he had virtually no experience doing this sort of work. He and his wife were perhaps 10 years younger than we were at the time, and they had two young sons, three and seven years old.

After working hard all day pulling wire, installing breakers, sockets, switches and lights, and plumbing in a half bath, we were out on his back deck having a cold beer. We were both too beat to talk much.

After a minute or two of silence, he says, "I hope my boys grow up to be like you."

I had no immediate response, and I got tears in my eyes. That is probably the finest compliment I have ever received.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: brandonforsyth11

Oddly enough, I'd venture to guess everyone has "mortal enemies" as highly regarded friends in society. Race, ideology, creed, ect fall to the waste side when we all go to work. When people go to their PTA meetings and homeowners association gatherings, maybe there is some tension... But at the end of the day, I bet humanity wins out.

For every story of decisiveness, there are overwhelming instances of normality. Most people don't buy into the hype. Most people don't take sides. Most people are just individuals worried about their family, and happy to see the same drive out of others.

Those who tow lines are usually looking for what others have found, acceptance.

May everyone find their peace.
edit on 1-7-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandonforsyth11

I would like us all to share a story of the most impacting positive gesture someone has shown towards you.

I'll let you know when it happens a single time.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

This event would never happen in New Jersey.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

This event would never happen in New Jersey.

Never been to Jersey. Perhaps you could explain what you think would have happened there.

I live in a rural area, basically a recreational tourist community, but very few people would show any kindness to the town drunk. I'm sure he got harassed where ever he went, even though he was a harmless drunk. I showed compassion, he appreciated it and blessed me for it. Then he became road kill, just some trash on the road, basically what people thought of him as and no one really cared when he got run down. Seems like dead possums and raccoons get more sympathy.

A sad end to a sad life. I'm glad to dumpster dive for him and show some humanity, even though I was obligated to send him on his way. I wish I was brave enough to have done more for people like him, but I would be looked down upon by most people around here if they knew what I had done. We all fall short, but at least I tried, most would have spit on him and shouted insults.

One night I was riding a bicycle on the same road and was in a hit and run accident. The cops didn't even file a report until my girlfriend called the precinct, they denied it was their patrol car and didn't even try to follow up on the two witnesses vehicle description or when I told them I got clipped. All because I had some beers in my bike saddle bag. When I got to the hospital, they assumed I was just some drunk who fell off his bike. Six broken ribs, broken clavicle, broken scapula and closed head injury, but no, I was just a drunk who took a spill and had no serious injuries to follow up on. I should be dead too. Ever since that accident I've looked for a reason I'm still alive. This is why I take his blessing so seriously. Perhaps I was being looked after for my act of compassion.
edit on 1-7-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

edit on 2-7-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: brandonforsyth11

Nice to see some positivity for a change on the boards.

When I was eighteen I used to work at an office in Glasgow city centre.

On my lunch break I used to go for walks around the city and follow my nose to wherever the food watered the mouth so to speak. Would take it back to my desk, eat, then go outside for a cigarette or two and just enjoy the atmosphere of the place. Always something happening.

Was just after finishing my lunch and enjoying a cigarette when a homeless man approached me. When I say homeless man, he was not the best smelling, his clothes were in tatters, his face was not clean and in general his appearance was a bit of a cause for concern if you get me.
He asked me how my day was going. I responded that things were not too bad.
Guy sort of stood around right next to me, which I did not mind but after a few minutes I asked him if he would like some money or if I could help him. He refused and said to have a good day then walked off.

Next day, he was back again. I offered him a cigarette, he refused, offered him money and he said the same again. Asked him if I could help him and he smiled saying he just liked to have a chat.

This went on for quite a few weeks, during which I asked him how his day was going, offered him food, offered to buy him clothes among other things… all refused. The man would just come over and stand next to me asking how things were going in a general sort of way.

Until I was standing outside as usual on break with him next to me again when I realised I was out of cigarettes. I told him I was going to buy a packet and would he like anything from the shop. Again he refused but when I went inside the store I had the thought of just buying a scratch card for him. I don’t gamble aside from putting one bet on per year on the Grand National (family tradition) but I just thought it might be something different to do.
When I came back over to the man, I held out the scratch card and he was quite offended, he said he did not gamble and did not want anything at all, just the company and conversation. I insisted that he take it as a gift, he put it in his pocket before he left as my break ended.

Next day, he was waiting at the front entrance of my work early in the morning. He came over to me before I could go inside and produced about £100 from his pocket saying that he was returning the gift back. It turned out the scratch card was a winner and he claimed not to be a gambler so wanted to return it.
I told him that it was a gift from me to him and I wanted him to have it. He certainly looked like he needed a bit of a hand in life so to speak.

What happened next was unexpected. He grabbed me, pulled me close, pointed in my face and said “I know you (said my first and second name which was impossible for him to know) and although you don’t know me, we met on the hill beneath the skies near the throne, one day we will meet again and until then know that you are loved”.
He then hugged me, I was quite startled, started shaking a little, teared up and I don’t know why either to be honest. He said “goodbye for now” and walked off.

When I went back into the office, noticed something sticking out of my suit jacket when placing it over my chair, was the cash. I asked my work colleagues if they thought the homeless guy who stood outside each lunchtime is a bit nuts or something and told them about the money etc.

They all said the same thing “What homeless guy?” The office claimed I was just standing myself having a cigarette each day and they had never watched anyone stand next to me.

Never came across him again. Not sure what to make of it and not sure if this fits the thread topic but its one of the nicest (most confusing/random) experiences ive ever had.

Cheers

edit on 1-7-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The most impactful comment someone has ever said to me was "Someday you are going to make someone a very happy woman".

The context of this was that at the time I was on a summer swim team, that had morning practices at a public pool. This meant that lane lines had to both be put into and taken out of the pool every day, along with starting blocks and flags. I regularly would show up early as I would run or bike to that pool from another where I would have another practice even earlier than that and I would be there early and help the coaches set up for beforehand. Then later after another practice (for the younger swimmers) I would help take down all of the equipment before the pool would open, as I life guarded at that pool as well. One of the girls on the team would help on occasion, and her and I would work quite well together. As in she and I could communicate without words what needed to be done next and work together in unison to complete the task at hand.

One day near the end of the summer leage's seasons she dropped that comment, and I was taken aback. I was just 16 at the time and it took me completely be surprise. Yet to this day I remember it and cherish it as the ultimate compliment I have received.

Of note she joined eventually joined the military, and completed several tours of duty in Iraq after attending college and swimming there, and is married with two kids now. I saw her at a few college invite meets, and I am proud to have known her. Her comment still hits me right in the feels when ever I recall it, especially considering how genuine and heartfelt it was with no pretext to or manipulation intended in making that comment

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

An incredible story! Certainly fits the Bible verse I quoted in my first post here. Bravo.

Certainly gives one something to remember for the rest of their life and quite possibly beyond that.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Being homeless to a fair majority of homeless people in first word countries anyway is a choice made of refusing to conform to the system that rules humanity the rest are usually addicts with their priorities in the toilet.

This guy clearly was the afore mentioned. He didn't want handouts or he would be in public housing or on welfare or accepting your kindness. He is making a stance against the system. (Which in his eyes you represent by working and paying taxes)

By "grabbing you pulling you in close and pointing in your face" he was showing you he had a problem (this was aggressive behavior especially the pointing in the face) but due to his spiritual connection to a higher level of enlightenment he could not follow through with his aggression for risk of taking backwords spiritual steps but end of day he still is human (as he was able to touch you) here on earth and still wrestling with his pre programming by society/schools etc 'v' his spiritual agenda.

Maybe he was a old school rival who you bullied or tormented, a religious opponent ie- catholic/protestant as was particularily rampant in glasgow or similiar hence knowing your full name.

His conversations with you daily was his weighing up of are you deservant of his forgiveness now or are you still his and humanities enemy. Clearly due to your friendly unjudgmental demeanor he choose forgiveness but was not necessarily happy to have to have exercised that forgiveness hence his aggressive finger pointing.

The "know your loved" and a "hug" line was his spiritual presence showing you that you with your helpful friendly demeanor change have (for the time being) been accepted/protected and therefore as far as he's concerned or been advised spiritually god now loves you again hence his forced forgiveness.

But be aware the fact no one else say him is particularly intriguing as he's either a masterful deciever which means he's spiritually connected to the darkside which is especially lucky for you that your demeanor was on the right path spiritually - or perhaps your colleagues simply just pay no notice as society often does to these types.

If he was spiritually on the good guys side whole heartedly you would not have had the finger pointing in the face so leads me to believe he is a -

Good soul being actively and aggressively persued by the darkside and he is more than well aware of this.

If i may be so invasive to make a suggestion - avoid hanging outside for a while at lunch or even better find a new spot out back or something out of streetview if possible as he may not win his battle judging by his initial demeanor towards you at actual physical contact. He could become dangerous.

So in keeping with the thread your grand gesture would be recognising the encounter for what it really is and ensuring that the friendly accomadating giving demeanor you expressed remains a permanent part of your psychi. Thanks to him.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Is this some kind of trick to get us thinking more positively?

Having someone open or keep open a door for me is a positive gesture.

Having someone just take the time to have a chat is a positive gesture.

Having someone stop and help when my bike is stuck in the mud is a positive gesture.

As for what has been the most impacting positive gesture someone has shown towards me, seeing them pick their own life up after helping them through some tough times.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I had an unusual meeting with a very dirt encrusted homeless Man that gave me an odd feeling I have not experienced before. He was a large guy with blond shaggy hair and I couldn't imagine how his face could have so much dirt, it is not that easy to get that dirty it rains all the time here. But I felt a strange feeling from him that I never forgot and I had handed him money from my truck window but felt always I should have don't something else, something more and more personal.

. Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares (Hebrews 13:1-2).
edit on 2-7-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: brandonforsyth11

I'll let you know when it happens a single time.

From your thread I'm an asshole

I've been an asshole and still the ATS fam got my back. WOW.

new topics

top topics

join