It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favourite Sci-Fi Book?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I agree with Diaspar and my favorite is the Foundation Series by Asimov. With the coming of micro-electronics and AI this future is a distinct possibility. My best,

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Right now it’s a newer entry into the genre. The book is called Empire of Silence it’s the first book of the Sun Eater Trilogy.

It’s basically humans spreading out across the stars and find they are the only race above Bronze Age tech. They have a society that’s based on old Roman ways. The ultra rich are gene edited super being that live for hundreds to thousands of years. The poor are plebeians that only have access to lives of basic tech and disease. They worship the Earth and Sun as Gods.

It follows the life of a young elite who rebelled against his father it’s a great read and I couldn’t put it down.

a reply to: Diaspar

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Wheel of Time is my favorite fantasy.

That is one of my all time favorites. I actually got the PDFs so I could read through them at work for the 100th time.

If I had to stray closer to technology SCI-FI I would go with the Otherland series by Tad Williams. A true virtual reality story line over 4 books that will suck you into another world.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Big Dumb Object

I think arrival is based on a book.

Short story by: "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

'The Mote in God's Eye' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle remains my favorite.

I always meant to read this one. Having read Ringworld i looked for other Niven books and this one looked good.
Thanks for reminding me!

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

The book is called Empire of Silence it’s the first book of the Sun Eater Trilogy.

I had a quick look into this series and it looks interesting.
I'm adding it to my list! Thanks

edit on 26 6 19 by Diaspar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well, let's see...

No one has mentioned Phillip K. Dick or Alfred Bester.

Any thing by Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven and Issac Asimov (he ties up his world so well)

Horror - I like Koontz - Watchers & the Christopher Snow novels (still waiting on the third).

Fantasy - Melanie Rawn's "The Golden Key", the sequel - not so much.

Grand Favorite - for enjoyable reading - Mike Resnik "Santiago" (not the sequel) and "Dark Lady". Interestingly I wrote Mr. Resnick when I was so disappointed with Santiago 2 and he sent me a free short story.

There are so many I can't think of now.

Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" anyone??

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I picked up Battlefield Earth from Elron Hubbard from somewhere and actually read the whole thing. Not too bad after seeing the movie as a kid. Theres also a collection of stories from the random characters in the original Star Wars trilogy that was awesome to read as well but I cannot recall the name of the book.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Huge sci-fi junky here. Favorite is the Dune series Frank Herberts but I have read his sons books but they are not as good. Some others, Sea of rust was awesome, no human characters so it was different, but awesome. The 40k universe is awesome but i do not like to admit i like it. has anyone read the Tom Corbett space cadet series? they were written in the 50s but i really enjoy them a light and fun series but kinda bland by today's standards. the firefly book big damn hero i thought was awesome but I am biased as a huge firefly fan. Empire of silence is another favorite and as already mentioned a newer novel. The Last exodus by Paul Tassi was amazing too, cool take on a war with a superior species. Jack campbells the lost fleet was a cool series focusing around large space battles.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The 1984 version? I always had a thing for the actress who plays Irulan in that movie. Never seen the extended addition gonna check that out

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diaspar

Ray Bradbury's, but his anthologies rather than his novels.

There is something about his prose that's hypnotic.

edit on 26/6/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Right now it’s a newer entry into the genre. The book is called Empire of Silence it’s the first book of the Sun Eater Trilogy.

It’s basically humans spreading out across the stars and find they are the only race above Bronze Age tech. They have a society that’s based on old Roman ways. The ultra rich are gene edited super being that live for hundreds to thousands of years. The poor are plebeians that only have access to lives of basic tech and disease. They worship the Earth and Sun as Gods.

It follows the life of a young elite who rebelled against his father it’s a great read and I couldn’t put it down.

That sounds amazing, I think I'll wait until the series is done but it sounds like it's right up my alley.
edit on 26-6-2019 by JohnS23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diaspar
a reply to: bally001

'The Mote in God's Eye' by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle remains my favorite.

I always meant to read this one. Having read Ringworld i looked for other Niven books and this one looked good.
Thanks for reminding me!

Give it a read. You won't regret it.

Kind regards and thanks for your reply.

bally

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Chindi. Hardcore sf that presents a novel idea on how to achieve light speed. Or anything from Phillip K Dick.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Novel: "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke

Short Story: "Ifth of Oofth" by Walter Trevis

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Always loved the Perry Rhodan series...from the late 60's but still up to date !

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Asimov's Foundation series is definitely my #1 SciFi series.

Add to that one most of Robert Heinlein's works and Philip K. Dick as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Nice list. Agree with most, but for horror, I'd have to say Clive Barker.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It’s really good! The second book comes out July 16th and I’ll be ordering it, it’s called Howling Dark. Is also worth mentioning that just the Primary human empire is Roman like, their church the Chantry controls all the tech and who can use what in order to keep the peace through power and intimidation on a planetary scale. There are other factions of humans that live a sort of ultra libertarianism life style and have free access to tech on all levels assuming your social score is high enough. There is also a faction of humans fused with machines but they are only mentioned a few times.

It’s got gladiator style fights, wars, mystery, class struggles, and some great world building.
Everything I mentioned is in the books forward or first chapter so no spoilers.

a reply to: JohnS23

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Before I knew what Scientology was, and while I was skipping classes in my first semester of college, the bookstore stocked quite a bit of scifi. My favorite still to date is L. Ron Hubbard Mission Earth.

Fantasy is Alan Dean Foster series Spellsinger

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join