It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I see a claim, I can't access the source for that claim so I can not evaluate it. I also think it is crazy to claim advertisers complained about a heavy set model so the magazine HAD to use anorexic models. I am not willing to accept opinions, I prefer facts.

Again, what we have is the magazine doing this.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Flavian

More like the progressives in the UK have fully demonized and shut off anyone speaking out against the far left in the UK.

How do commercials damage any gender from achieving their dreams to do anything? Do you have some tyrannical law saying women need to stay at home and raise children? How about businesses advertise however they want to reach their customers and make money so they can pay their workers without government overlords telling them to be PC.

Or how about you simply have an even playing field? Subtle negative stereotypes influence all of us - why else do you think ad agencies use them? Do you think it is some evil plan they have or simply that they know they work so have more effect?

Only for people looking to be offended and outraged. Majority of people won't spend their day thinking about how an ad messed up their entire day/week/year.

How come we make laws about gender norms but cant accomplish anything that actually makes people lives better. Like food money infrastructure etc

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: InTheLight

I see a claim, I can't access the source for that claim so I can not evaluate it. I also think it is crazy to claim advertisers complained about a heavy set model so the magazine HAD to use anorexic models. I am not willing to accept opinions, I prefer facts.

Again, what we have is the magazine doing this.

It's a big problem everywhere.

Santos recently addressed an international conference in Singapore to urge the marketing industry in Asia to push harder for more progressive portrayals of women and men in advertising. She believes that the continuing gender imbalance in advertising is harming society because “it means we’re not showing people in an authentic, positive, and representative way”.

It particularly affects young people, who are exposed to the influences of such advertising more than the general population because they are heavy users of social media.

www.scmp.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

It has to do with fat shaming.

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

That is not advertising fitness, it is advertising drinking a caffeine-laden drink instead of eating healthy.

It goes beyond fat shaming and trying to tell us what a 'perfect' woman's body should look like. Any tactics will be used to sell their products...I always research the product reviews and usually find the truth lies there.

I can tell you what the perfect body looks like like and all those women in yellow bikinis look pretty damned close. It isn't fat shaming, it is advertising and some retarded gubermint agency shouldn't be cowtowing to bunch of lazy ass obese women because of feewings. Liberals and progressives have gone off the rails crazy, stop trying to drag down the rest of us to your subterrainean levels, please!

I wonder how long fat women would have lasted in the pre-civilization era being chased by lions, tigers, bears, wolves, etc.? Just remember the line, "I don't have to run fast, just faster than you" lol.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/14.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

That is not advertising fitness, it is advertising drinking a caffeine-laden drink instead of eating healthy.

It goes beyond fat shaming and trying to tell us what a 'perfect' woman's body should look like. Any tactics will be used to sell their products...I always research the product reviews and usually find the truth lies there.

I can tell you what the perfect body looks like like and all those women in yellow bikinis look pretty damned close. It isn't fat shaming, it is advertising and some retarded gubermint agency shouldn't be cowtowing to bunch of lazy ass obese women because of feewings. Liberals and progressives have gone off the rails crazy, stop trying to drag down the rest of us to your subterrainean levels, please!

I wonder how long fat women would have lasted in the pre-civilization era being chased by lions, tigers, bears, wolves, etc.? Just remember the line, "I don't have to run fast, just faster than you" lol.

Cheers - Dave

Do you really think those women in the yellow bikinis use that product? Of course not...it's all manipulation and lies.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

originally posted by: ketsuko

So either you show all the possibilities (you show every size, shape, color, gender, orientation, religion, etc., who can become a ballerina, mountain climber, and engineer in the ad) or you show no one ever doing anything? I know which one will be cheaper.

Why didn't the UK just more or less say they banned ads?

I think pretty much everyone would like to see all ads about anything and everything banned.

Ads drive me nuts and ruin a good tv(television) programme.

The ads are literally the reason you're being offered the television programs. Take them away and most TV networks would close shop immediately.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

The Left are behind this madness and because of this, people are now walking on eggshells everyday, scared that they may say or do something that upsets someone's feelings. ENOUGH ALREADY!

No they aren't, this had cross party support. And also, there isn't a big Left / Right thing like in the U.S.

This has much more to do with the fact that most of us over here believe that anyone can be whatever they want to be, provided they work hard for it. So, for example in the ad that you mentionned, there is nothing wrong with girls becoming ballerinas. But to show that only girls can be become ballet dancers (rather than engineers, etc) is wrong - both morally and socially.

And if you think that only women should do housework, that says more about you than it does about anything else.

Women can do much more than housework. They can get groceries, cook food, watch the crumb crunchers, and then do the laundry and cleaning. And if time permits, she can take some time out in the evening to pamper her man after a hard day at the office.

She won't have time to be a ballerina, that time will be spent making sammiches. See how open us "Mericans can be?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

Do you really think those women in the yellow bikinis use that product? Of course not...it's all manipulation and lies.

And you seem fully aware they are manipulations and lies, as are virtually everyone else. So, if we're all smart enough to know it's manipulation to push a product how is it harmful?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What the U.K. is trying to do is to identify gender stereotyping which may cause harm and how it may cause harm.

10. How could media and advertising industries fight against gender stereotyping and disempowerment of women? The Advertising Standards Authority proactively published a report on ‘depictions, perceptions and harm in advertising’ (www.asa.org.uk... ). The Committees of Advertising Practice (CAP) and Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) subsequently consulted on a new rule and supporting guidance to proscribe adverts from depicting harmful or offensive gender stereotypes, including stereotypical gender roles and characteristics. In parallel with this regulatory action, the industry is developing initiatives to include positive and diverse gender portrayal in adverts. The Government has committed to take forward work to tackle harmful gender stereotypes in advertising in collaboration with the industry to ensure that the action we take complements their existing initiatives.

www.ohchr.org...

www.asa.org.uk...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So, will tampon commercials be gender neutral "over there?"

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

And you seem fully aware they are manipulations and lies, as are virtually everyone else. So, if we're all smart enough to know it's manipulation to push a product how is it harmful?

I have been around the block several times and don't need anyone's approval for any life choices I make, but not all women or men, esp.young people, have my life's experience to recognize society's BS and reject it, or see beyond the veil of unconscious and/or conscious biases. I always try to look deeper for the real truth.
edit on 16CDT12America/Chicago022121230 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
On the one hand I am outraged over yet another step over the top of free expression.

But ill be damned if i will defend the scumbag advertisers and their negative effect on human culture.

The only thing the bastards have actually done is expose how pathetically weak minded and easily manipulated many human beings are. I can't blame advertisers for taking advantage of humanity's short comings, especially when many humans have proven how simple it is to be self disciplined and not let the commercial world get them.

That said, I will give a huge "Thank You!" to all the folks who railed and revolted against "fat shaming" in advertising. These MVPs have pushed Hollywood, media, and advertisers into gracing us with models like Tess Holliday and Ashley Graham. I like Rubenesque women far more than twigs and I certainly would prefer seeing a fluffy woman in an ad than a skinny one. So, by all means, keep that particular form of advertising and activism going.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

I have been around the block several times and don't need anyone's approval for any life choices I make, but not all women or men, esp.young people, have my life's experience to recognize society's BS and reject it, or see beyond the veil of unconscious and/or conscious biases. I always try to look deeper for the real truth.

So you want to baby-proof the world so they never get the chance to learn to detect and reject BS like you did? I that really helping them? Why would you deny them life's experience?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

edit on 14-6-2019 by bastion because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

link   

link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: paraphi

The problem is they think a woman on a weight loss poster is harmful, and a female ballerina is harmful.
The other problem is the government is determining what can and can not be said, that is extremely dangerous. That is the job of consumers.

You're still very mistaken, the Advertising Standards Authority is an independent watchdog, the government have no say in any of this.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

So you want to baby-proof the world so they never get the chance to learn to detect and reject BS like you did? I that really helping them? Why would you deny them life's experience?

Their life's experiences will be such that they won't have to learn about it, then learn to deal with this type of BS if it doesn't exist anymore.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I hope they include those "clueless dad" stereotypes that seem to never want to die. And on the other hand, how about killing the ads where the mom is tired but she finds a handy product that helps her cook or clean or take care of some snotty kid because that is her job.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join