It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting Today, Britain Will Be Banning 'Harmful' Gender Stereotypes From Ads

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Then you are clueless how to read research if you think I did not. They use correlations to prove causation, if you don't understand how bad that is the problem is you.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The entire thing started because of that advertisement. So how is that advertisement fine in everyone's mind when it started this?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Why don't you research fat shaming and advertising?

Here, I'll start you off.

There’s plenty of science to back the idea that body-centric advertising affects people’s self-esteem. In 2002, a meta-analysis found that 25 studies generally agreed that girls under the age of 19 feel significantly worse about their bodies after viewing images of the slim women who dominate mainstream media. Similarly, a 2008 meta-analysis of 77 studies found exposure to media is linked to body-image problems in women. And it’s not just women: Another recent meta-analysis of 25 studies found that media images are linked to body dissatisfaction, lower self-esteem, and excessive exercising in men.

psmag.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Who is "they"? The "Beach ready" advert was not banned, or found to be offensive.

Read your source.

Before investigating the issues raised below we told Protein World that, due to our concerns about a range of health and weight loss claims, the ad could not appear again in its current form.

It was banned.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
The entire thing started because of that advertisement. So how is that advertisement fine in everyone's mind when it started this?

The "Beach ready" advert and the current guidelines around harmful or offence gender stereotyping advertising are two different things. You are misunderstanding the difference and confusing the two, and I say that with respect.

link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Start yourself off and get a clue.

In 2002, a meta-analysis found that 25 studies generally agreed that girls under the age of 19 feel significantly worse about their bodies after viewing images of the slim women who dominate mainstream media.

So media, like the fashion mags I listed. Mainstream media creates the problem, and advertising is based around it. The issue will never be solved by going after advertising, it will be solved when you get rid of the photoshopped images creating ideals that are not even humanly possible.

link   

One just has to probe a little deeper. Here is a pic of the founder of said protein drink company promoting his product.

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

The "Beach ready" advert and the current guidelines around harmful or offence gender stereotyping advertising are two different things. You are misunderstanding the difference and confusing the two, and I say that with respect.

One of the supporters of this law is the one who said the beach body advert started this. The fact is that advert is now banned. I would never want government to have that type of power.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You're demanding that people deny their very nature. That is what is harmful and toxic. It will lead to a loss of agency and a life of anguish for the ordinary people that don't excel at a particular area. You are teaching them that doing what comes natural to them is bad. It is literally the same authoritarian B.S. the identitarian right did to the homosexuals.

I'll just leave it at this. If you're interested in a sociological experiment go to Twitch.com and just sit and observe males and females playing a coop survival game together. Overwhelmingly, despite all attributes in-game being equal across the board, the female players will stay behind and build and organize the base while the male players will go out hunting and gathering (and in a lot of instances fighting which leads to a lot of early deaths for the males).

Sometimes there are even male players that choose to roleplay as female characters that almost always end up still out roving with the males. Why? Because it is our nature. We are hardwired.

There are outliers when a male chooses to stay with the females or a female chooses to come out with the males -- and they excel at doing either activity. And guess what, no one cares. Why can't it just be that. Do what you want, do what comes natural and who freakin' cares?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Enough said.

Very fit and nice looking girls. I don't see anything wrong with this. Are progressives/liberals having a race to the fat and ugly bottom and want everybody else to join into their madness?

Cheers - Dave

It has to do with fat shaming.

www.dazeddigital.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Fat shaming is BS.

Have some self control and stop projecting negative body image issues onto everyone else for not being fat asses.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Sorry, it doesn't. Fat people would be better off losing weight and being healthier. Saying so and creating a healthy ideal is not wrong. Fat shaming is real, this is not an example of it.

Now explain this, if what you claim is happening is true, then why are people getting fatter every year?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Start yourself off and get a clue.

In 2002, a meta-analysis found that 25 studies generally agreed that girls under the age of 19 feel significantly worse about their bodies after viewing images of the slim women who dominate mainstream media.

So media, like the fashion mags I listed. Mainstream media creates the problem, and advertising is based around it. The issue will never be solved by going after advertising, it will be solved when you get rid of the photoshopped images creating ideals that are not even humanly possible.

No, here is a deeper clue for you. It is advertising that keeps the problem ongoing.

According to The Guardian, this response is not unusual: “the traditional reliance on so-called aspirational advertising has limited change, despite high-profile campaigns against perceived racism and the encouragement of unhealthy female physiques within modelling… While ‘real’ models have made their way into campaigns for a range of products in recent years, when it comes to the luxury sector the door remains shut.”

mediasmarts.ca...

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Sorry, it doesn't. Fat people would be better off losing weight and being healthier. Saying so and creating a healthy ideal is not wrong. Fat shaming is real, this is not an example of it.

Now explain this, if what you claim is happening is true, then why are people getting fatter every year?

I have a niece that is hefty but she has not one ounce of fat on her body due to a healthy lifestyle...was she fat shamed all her life...you bet she was and still is.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Enough said.

Cheers - Dave

www.dazeddigital.com...

Awww, feewings. Call it anything you want, it's an excuse to be lazy. I gained 30 lbs recently over the last 6 months, it makes me feel like sh!t, so I am getting rid of it. That extra weight increases the chance of diabetes, chrones, ibs, bone/joint issues, hydrotrophic myocardiopathy, enlarged heart, circulation problems, organ damage, kidney/thyroid/pancreas/gall bladder issues, etc., and your groceries cost more. I'm 6'3" and 238lbs right now, but I will be back down to 208 inside 60 days, I don't make excuses.

Advertising fitness is not a problem. You calling it fat shaming is an excuse and your problem.

Cheers - Dave

That is not advertising fitness, it is advertising drinking a caffeine-laden drink instead of eating healthy.

It goes beyond fat shaming and trying to tell us what a 'perfect' woman's body should look like. Any tactics will be used to sell their products...I always research the product reviews and usually find the truth lies there.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

So what you are saying is society is the problem. Exactly what I said. Thank you for agreeing. Does she see a model and feels fat shamed merely by seeing someone skinny?

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
On the one hand I am outraged over yet another step over the top of free expression.

But ill be damned if i will defend the scumbag advertisers and their negative effect on human culture.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

So what you are saying is society is the problem. Exactly what I said. Thank you for agreeing. Does she see a model and feels fat shamed merely by seeing someone skinny?

Also advertising is the problem because in the last article I posted advertisers complain when normal women of all shapes and sizes are portrayed as beautiful in magazines which forces the magazines to cater to advertisers and not to their clients' wants and desires (as in ignoring all the letters from people hailing them using regular beautiful women). Money is king.
edit on 16CDT11America/Chicago012111130 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join