It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, another thread about Atlantis.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
a reply to: Harte

Sorry for the delayed response back.

Are you calling into question Plato, or Critias?

It's pretty certain that the conversations in all the Dialogues are made up.

So... Plato.
He's the only one talking there.

I pointed out that Plato used the "true story" literary device in several other dialogues so it's not surprising that he would use it in Critias.

Harte

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Fair criticism. It's the confusing issue with Plato and his dialogs isn't it. Is he reporting on what he heard or did he make it all up in an effort to discuss his concepts of forms? We have to make a judgement call on this before we start down the road of dealing with the Atlantis puzzle.

If we assume that Plato at this time was reporting on conversations his witnessed, then we can call into question Critias and his understandings of the Athenian/Atlantean war. On the other hand if we were to assume that Plato just made it all up then questions can be raised about the value of Plato's Academy, or even the value of Alexander the Great's tutor Aristotle.

Coming to terms with how we view Plato's writings is the first step in looking for Atlantis. I take it that your view on Atlantis is that it's a metaphoric place. If this is true then you should come back when I address that possibility. As for now though I'm going about this thread as if Atlantis is a real world place.

To paraphrase Plato; "In order to understand the prefect form, we must first accept and view the imperfect". In other words (Harte, you seem to be someone that would understand this, but I'm still typing it for others to read) in order to understand Atlantis, we must look at it as a real place.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
NO, I haven't forgotten this thread, I'm waiting for my copy of Herodotus' Histories to arrive. There is an interesting area in his discussions about geography where Herodotus states the three great continents. Asia, Europe, and Libya it is because of this I wanted to read his thoughts about this since Herodotus claims that the Phoenicians had navigated around the entirety of Libya, but he had doubts since the Phoenicians had stated that the sun was in the wrong place in the sky. This would be correct if you were tracking the sun and sailed south across the equator.

Why does this matter? According to Herodotus the territory of Atlas was located near Libya. Understanding what is meant by Libya is important, does Herodotus mean Africa or was Libya different geologically back then than it is now? A simple Google Earth view of Libya could make it look like a possible location of Atlantis. As seen below:

If the sand was supersaturated with water, then the point Critias makes about travel being blocked by mud could be strangely true, and the flooding could be water leaving the area rather then entering.

I'll update some thoughts after reading Herodotus' Histories. There could be something more to this Atlantis tale then we all first thought (and before anyone asks, points out, or attacks me I already know that Herodotus never mentions Atlantis by name. This doesn't mean that he doesn't hints at it, after all if the story is known at his time but a negative slant is taken on the Atlantean Empire then why should we expect a direct naming of it)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Or, you could just read it for free online here.

Harte

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte
Or, you could just read it for free online here.

Harte

Thank you for the link, but there's something about a real book in ones hand that makes research engaging.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join