It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea level rise could hit 2 metres by 2100 - much worse than feared

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Yes and we will likely see a lot of Dutch style land reclamation damns going up on various parts of the world to both recover land lost to rising sea level and also to keep land viable.
Much of Holland is actually already below sea level so expect expert's to look to them for old solution's and new one's.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

What if an asteroid slammed into the earth in tomorrow? I don't want to destroy everyone's way of living and hand over all our money to corrupt politicians, all for "what if's".

Plus, we all know India and China aren't cleaning up their mess. This is a global issue, not a western civilization issue. Being told by foreign governments we could clean up the world by paying money to corrupt politicians is never gonna fly with a man that deals in common sense.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

No but they have built huge underground city's for the elite to survive of course.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

However, the latest data sets show quite large increase (statistically) over the last 30 to 40- years and much more particularly over the last decade. For example, the annual rise now is nearly double a decade ago.

The problem is that the rise is statistical, not actual. An actual sea level rise will occur everywhere, not in isolated areas. Isolated reports are indicative of local events, such as land subsidence (which is actually a problem as oceanfront areas become saturated with homes and businesses).

When I see widespread reports of people selling their homes and condos and others being condemned because the sea has encroached too far for it to be habitable, then I'll be of the opinion that we need to look at sea level changes. Until then, the predictions have all proven false and I place sea level rise in the same category as claims the earth is flat.

Right now beachfront property is so expensive only the wealthy can afford it. If it were going to be underwater in the foreseeable future, it would be practically worthless. No one spends big bucks for a building lot in the Atlantic Ocean.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I wouldn't doubt that is where this money is really going.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

I suspect you are correct but certainly a very large amount of it already has.
If breakaway civilization theory is correct though?.
But most likely short sighted monetary megalomaniac's with a narcissus like delusion have simply pocketed it, for them it does not matter about the rest of us or even the future only there own financial ego matters.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wow, six and a half feet? That is not all that bad unless you own property in Florida and many other areas that are close to sea level. I think the people who own properties on the shores should have considered the risk of spending a fortune on them before buying them.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the people who are claiming these disastrous futures are actually buying up beachfront property. What better way to devalue them?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I wonder where they are going to move NASA to? Or if there will still be a NASA. Hey, the good news is Capitol Hill will be submerged. All that debt our govt doesn't give a damn about makes sense now. Probably won't be a US at the end of the century.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Could , Might, maybe real professional sounding to me. Will or is going to would sound better. Only 11 years and 6 months to go anyway.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
my thinking on sea level rises

is that the Ocean Floor Crust...being thin to begin with … will stretch and sink with the additional water volume from the melt-off of ice from Glaciers or Ice Sheets at either Poles

the additional pressure from the water volume in the Oceans will result in the outflows of Lava from the molten rock beneath the Earths crustal plates … as the displaced molten Mantle oozes to the Planet surface as the Oceans become deeper than ever....

no discernable rise in sea water levels in this scenario... only the threats of Asteroid strikes and island volcanos sliding into oceans and causing Tsunamis will increase in chance-of-happening and increase In the severity of any such event

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sea level rise could hit 2 metres by 2100 - much worse than feared

They need to stop watching bad Kevin Costner movies.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement
I believe in man made climate change.

Why does anyone need to believe if the evidence is so overwhelming?

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It's so curious how some agencies are already planning for this, sea-levl rise, while so many people have their heads in the sand.

I found some of this info the other day and wanted to post it, you provided the forum, thanks

The state of CA has many tools available for preparedness;

coast.noaa.gov...

www.coastal.ca.gov...

onesanfrancisco.org... (includes potential of 100 year storm scenario)

Florida is doing what it can:

sealevelrise.org...

It's safe to say that sea level rise and climate change are real and costing billions with no end in sight. So much data, so little acknowledgement.
edit on 5/21/2019 by BlissSeeker because: added SF info

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
However, this would mean Commifornians and New Dorkers would be moving inland....polluting the Midwest with their holier than thou mindset.

Are they smart enough to move?

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement
I believe in man made climate change. The correlation between heightened co2 levels and the industrial age is compelling to me personally. I don't know how much it has affected it, it's just my opinion that it has.

Sounds like a religion to me.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Sorry , gotta Call FAKE NEWS Here . Doctored Data Confirmed ..............

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BlissSeeker

I have a running philosophy that has served me quite well: if someone will lie to me about what I do know, they'll lie to me about what I don't know.

So from sealevelrise.org... :

Most flooding happens during the fall

In Florida, this is when the combined gravitational pull of the moon and the sun pulls water inland and when the Gulf Stream slows, which allows the water to rise even more. This causes unusually high tides called king tides. In places like Southeast Florida, king tides are typically nearly a foot higher than normal tides.1 Add that to the 8 inches of sea level rise since 1950, and you end up with flooding even on sunny days.

Where to start?
  • The sun's gravitational pull does not increase in the fall.
  • The moon's gravitational pull does increase slightly around the harvest moon, but not just in Florida.
  • Gravity that causes tides does not pull water inland... it pulls water up.
  • There are established reports that show the coastal areas around Miami and the Keys is subsiding due to increased building weight.

So no... I call BS. If you'll lie to me about what I know, you'll lie to me about what I don't know.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: johnb

Fact.

The sun is getting warmer as it get's older and some estimates state that natural warming caused by an increase in solar radiation may turn earth into a second Venus were life as we know it will no longer be able to survive in anywhere between 500 million to 2 billion years meaning that the earth is not only in what we call a Goldilocks zone around our star but also in a Goldilocks period in time after which time life here will be unsustainable through natural process.

Hard to take this kind of science seriously. Are these the same people that tell us that our globe is warming? Could you please tell me for what length of time we have been capable of accurately measuring the sun's surface temperature?

And I need to be beg your pardon, but did you say there would always be climate change deniers? Call it what it is... what you think it is... global warming. You seem to deny that climate changes, and in Fact, you declare that the sun is warming as it ages. Here's a point of significance- they changed the name to climate change because um...yeah. And then you pontificate and claim the moral high ground, what a fraud

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

But what if current rates double over the next decade? And then those rates double over the following decade? It soon starts to stack up.

The sea level cannot rise more than 2 meters. Even if it gets warmer and warmer, once the full ice sheet is melted there is no sea level rise anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join