It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impossible Foods, Now Valued At $2 Billion, Is The New Beyond Meat

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I have tried the Impossible Burger while visiting family last week in Texas, one of the chains has it.

It honestly is really hard to tell the difference between it and a regular burger from say Hardees or Carls Jr.

The Texture and aftertaste are almost identical to beef, you can tell if you know youre eating it.

But honestly if you just gave it to someone, in their order, you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

I was really really surprised, im a huge meat eater , and have tried "veggie" type burgers many times, Im honestly a bit taken aback by how close to beef this tastes and feels to the mouth.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I agree. Farmers call it “RoundUp Ready Corn, Soybeans, wheat, or cotton”. There’s now another pseudo round up called “Harmony” (DuPont) not interchangeable at all. But works the same way. Farmers will get it mixed up or forget what cheap brand they bought, tell the sprayer the wrong brand and have disastrous results. Seen in many times. Or drift spray from one brand of crops destroyed the same crops next door but of different brand.

edit on 19-5-2019 by 38181 because: Mistake

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Im sure I'll try them once they come out, especially if they taste decent. But aren't they more expensive too. And what are the caloric savings in comparison to a real hamburger. LOL have tried a lot of the veggie patties and burgers and while I can choke them down usually with some sriracha sauce its not something Id drive out of my way to eat.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry
I went to a chain restaurant the other week, I hardly go out. Anyways the burger I ordered was pretty good, but I could tell something was just a tad off with the patty, texture or something, didn’t get sick or anything. I hope it wasn’t fake meat, after reading the OP. Just thought of that instance. Is Impossible meat cheaper? I’d be pissed if it really was a fake meat they used.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: gallop

I've never found a food substitute that is even close to what its supposed to be replicating.

Not sure it will ever happen.

They are betting on that in 30 or 40years, no one will remember what steak/beef/chicken/pork/fish tastes like. That way they can just call their crap tasty (fill in meat product type) and charge big bucks for it. Like tasty beef with a carcinogenic aspertame aftertaste lol. Don't want those peasants making it to pension age after all.

Cheers - Dave

I doubt fast food today resembles anything on the menu from 30 years ago.

But at least they're being innovative now, and trying to mimic the quality of real meats.. as opposed to crap that doesn't even spoil after a decade.

And unless you've tried one of these new things, to write it off in the same vain as tofu burgers is a bit sloppy...

I've not, but I'm willing to try before I write it off, at least.

Buy a mass spec, an HPLC, a TOCA and maybe an NDIR and a gas chromatograph to check the gaseous byproducts from the TOCA exhaust.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Impossible Foods

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

I'd give it a try for novelty, but I doubt I'd stop eating real meat. The fake stuff actually costs more than the real thing, so there is that to consider.

I have a hate relationship with the flavor of soy products and if it's discernible, it would be a no go for me. Even a little soy filler in real meat turns my tastebuds off.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
So based on your post, this "meat" has 240 calories per 4 oz serving. Typical intake is based on a 2000 calorie diet, so that's 8.333 4 oz servings per day. That's 19,583.333% daily recommended value of Thiamin or B1. Even one single 4 oz serving is 2,350% daily value of B1. Is that a healthy amount? 2000% daily recommended value for any vitamin/mineral sounds like way too much for a whole day's worth, let alone a single serving.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
"Do I, uhhhhh, just cut 'em up like regular chickens???"

I hope everyone knows...this is where it all leads!!

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I am a meat eating American.

But I also believe we should be looking into meat alternatives and other ways of producing meats (lab grown). I'll go try one out.

So long as it is packed with nutrients and tastes good, I'm all for it.

I believe nature does it best

That’s why I only buy naturally organic produced fruit and vegetables instead of lab grown fruit & veg

So I wouldn’t expect a lab grown steak 🥩 to do to well either

But ...maybe we can feed it to those in the booming over populated 3rd world

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: thov420

No idea on that. I just posted the stuff from their site.

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I've never found a food substitute that is even close to what its supposed to be replicating.

They are betting on that in 30 or 40years, no one will remember what steak/beef/chicken/pork/fish tastes like. That way they can just call their crap tasty (fill in meat product type) and charge big bucks for it. Like tasty beef with a carcinogenic aspertame aftertaste lol. Don't want those peasants making it to pension age after all.

Cheers - Dave

But at least they're being innovative now, and trying to mimic the quality of real meats.. as opposed to crap that doesn't even spoil after a decade.

And unless you've tried one of these new things, to write it off in the same vain as tofu burgers is a bit sloppy...

Buy a mass spec, an HPLC, a TOCA and maybe an NDIR and a gas chromatograph to check the gaseous byproducts from the TOCA exhaust.

Cheers - Dave

I'll just go with taste and mouth feel. We're being poisoned to death just walking near a major road, not to mention all the toxins in everything else we ingest. Even making toast releases carcinogens.

I don't want to bring a science lab just to eat a burger. Way too cumbersome.

Besides that, I have no idea what any of that means..

posted on May, 19 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Be very careful with so called replacements

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 20 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Cheers - Dave

Cheers - Dave

I'll just go with taste and mouth feel. We're being poisoned to death just walking near a major road, not to mention all the toxins in everything else we ingest. Even making toast releases carcinogens.

I don't want to bring a science lab just to eat a burger. Way too cumbersome.

Besides that, I have no idea what any of that means..

Mass spectrograph
High performance liquid chromatograph
Total organic carbon analyzer
Non-dispersive infra red analyzer
Gas chromatograph

In my early days, I was regional engineer for Canada for a large analytical instrumentation firm, so I do know how these devices work and they are what you need to determine toxicity levels and material contents of organic products including the inorganic components. You can separate out the toxins with the chromatographs using specialized reagent packed columns. The TOCA burns off organic and non-organic carbon to leave heavy metals and other toxins that don't break down at 600 or 900 degrees. The ndir can be used to look for dissolved so2/so3/pcb/etc.

Unfortunately the taste/feel test will not suffice when trying to determine how corporations are poisoning you.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/20.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Doesn’t soy cause excessive estrogen in males? I don’t want boobies, I’ll stick to real meat. Although that does sound like a sustainable substitute.

Yes, soy in any sizable quantity is bad. Its not just an estrogen booster in males, but in females too, which means it also raises cancer risks.

I remember before I learned to think for myself, I spent several years eating a lot of soy and tuna. I was probably a walking glob of estrogen and mercury.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: projectvxn
I am a meat eating American.

But I also believe we should be looking into meat alternatives and other ways of producing meats (lab grown). I'll go try one out.

So long as it is packed with nutrients and tastes good, I'm all for it.

I believe nature does it best

That’s why I only buy naturally organic produced fruit and vegetables instead of lab grown fruit & veg

So I wouldn’t expect a lab grown steak 🥩 to do to well either

But ...maybe we can feed it to those in the booming over populated 3rd world

That's kind of my thoughts. Maybe it sounds a little heartless, but for those who want it, whether for animal, environment, or whatever reasons, and those who can't afford the "real thing" can be the ones to eat this stuff. Nature for me!

However, I'm not opposed to buying in to Impossible stock and making some money off of it so I can continue eating real meat.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   

In my book veggies are what you put ON the burger. Tomato, onion, lettuce, pickels.
Inside the burger is 100% cow.
But I am traditional that way.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Beyond meats are very good. I would say, unlike most veggie meats, they are maybe 75 percent tastes like real meat. The others are at maybe 10-20 percent. I love their sausages.

Now they aren’t like a good burger or beef barbeque or a good and tender brisket but their very very good.

Overall Beyond Meat is an excellent choice for a vegetarian, I think the best!

I wish I had invested but I had never heard of them.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

I am not a vegetarian, but I've been cutting ground beef from my diet to avoid saturated fat and cow #.

The Beyond Meat patties are pea protein. So, no phytohormones to worry about. They do have some beet juice added for color.

The Impossible Burgers are wheat, potato and soy protein, with coconut oil.

Neither of them is perfect, but the Beyond Meat burger cooks better. I add a little butter to crisp them a bit. Plus the Beyond Meat crumbles are indistinguishable from ground, browned beef.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

So after a quick search, it seems overdosing on vitamins is actually a thing.
Wiki: Hypervitaminosis

Hypervitaminosis is a condition of abnormally high storage levels of vitamins, which can lead to toxic symptoms.

Although it seems it mostly applies to certain vitamins:

With few exceptions, like some vitamins from B-complex, hypervitaminosis usually occurs with the fat-soluble vitamins A and D, which are stored, respectively, in the liver and fatty tissues of the body. These vitamins build up and remain for a longer time in the body than water-soluble vitamins.[2] Conditions include:
Hypervitaminosis A
Hypervitaminosis D
High-dosage, regular and slow-release vitamin B3; Niacin; and very high-dosage vitamin B6 hypervitaminoses are associated with side effects that usually rapidly subside with supplement reduction or cessation.

Also this link says:

Overdose or toxicity of this vitamin is very rare. Your body can easily handle large (200-300 mg) of this vitamin.

No idea how trustworthy that site is, but seems my worries were unfounded in this regard.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Have you had one of these "burgers" They are absolutely disgusting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join