It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine election: Comedian Zelensky wins presidency by landslide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Ukrainian comedian Volodymyr Zelensky has scored a landslide victory in the country's presidential election.

With nearly all ballots counted in the run-off vote, Mr Zelensky had taken more than 73% with incumbent Petro Poroshenko trailing far behind on 24%.

"I will never let you down," Mr Zelensky told celebrating supporters.

Russia says it wants him to show "sound judgement", "honesty" and "pragmatism" so that relations can improve. Russia backs separatists in eastern Ukraine.

The comments came from Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, in a Facebook post on Monday (in Russian).

He said he expected Mr Zelensky to "repeat familiar ideological formulas" that he used in the election campaign, adding: "I have no illusions on that score.

"At the same time, there is a chance to improve relations with our country."

Mr Poroshenko, who admitted defeat after the first exit polls were published, has said he will not be leaving politics.

Source

The Chocolate King is out and he has been replaced by the Jester.

Poroshenko has been in charge of the country ever since a special election held in 2014 following the impeachment of ex-President Yanukovych. While his strong stance against Russia and the Russian backed separatists in the East garnered him support in his early days, his presidency has been on a steady downward trajectory for the past few years.

The new President-elect Volodomyr Zelensky almost comes across as Ukraine's answer to Trump. He's a political outsider whose biggest claim to fame is his television work and he has a strong anti-corruption platform. While Zelensky may be a novice to politics, he has plenty of experience in the role of President. Zelensky is best known for his satirical drama, Servant of the People, where he plays a teacher whose rant against corruption in politics goes viral and gets elected as President. For his campaign Zelensky drew heavily from this character. This has led many to worry that Zelensky may not be up for the job as he never really discussed policy or plans during his campaign.

Here is what we do know about his platform. The main thrust of it, much like his fictional platform in the show, focuses on political corruption. He wants to remove the corruption in Ukrainian politics and crackdown on the oligarchs that try to run the country behind the scenes. He has also stated that he wants to renew negotiations with the separatists in the East and work towards a true ceasefire. While Russia is hopeful that a new President could help bring Ukraine back under their sphere of influence, Zelensky's approach to Russia sounds very similar to that of Poroshenko.

Considering the rhetoric that gets thrown around about Ukraine by some people I think it is also important to note that Zelesnky is Jewish. So electing him in such a landslide seems like a very radical move for a country that some openly claim is packed with Nazis.

This will certainly be an interesting time for Ukraine. Poroshenko has been running the country since all of their troubles started and he has done nothing to right the ship. It was definitely time for someone else to take the helm. We'll have to wait and see if giving the job to an inexperienced comedian was the right move.
edit on 4/22/2019 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I have got a really bad feeling in my bones about this play they are currently airing about all the things right now.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

Would you oblige me and elaborate?

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I noticed how he was smeared as an agent of Russia by the media there too.
It's pretty common now, whoever gets in the way of globalists is painted as an idiot and Russian agent.

It's interesting to see such familiar tactics rolled out in different countries. No doubt he'll be under investigation of some sort in the near future.

I also see that the OP framed the new Presidents' expertise exactly as the media has done. Dig a little deeper and you'll find he has a law degree, started his own business (successful), is an actor and director and a pretty smart fellow all round. But, of course, he's characterised as a 'jester' by those that don't like it when an election doesn't go to plan.

This is yet another rejection of globalist fascists. Good.
edit on 22/4/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

The vibes man, the black goat of the woods is seeding all the beasts.

Too much Easter sacrifice, too much geopolitical tensions, and natural disasters. They just keep coming, too many RPM.

Allright.. allright. .My stomach demanded me to edit, it says the amount of oldschool devil worshippers are upsetting the balance and a short period of "Masks Off" is expected in the coming summer, around july 13th.

edit on 22-4-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

If ever evidence were needed that politics is a joke electing a comedian is a good way to provide it.

Well done Ukraine !

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

This isn't exactly a part of the world where they hold investigations. At least not until the populace has risen up and looking for heads.

I made it clear I thought Poroshenko failed as a President. My issue is not with his past or what he has done. It's the fact that he essentially ran his campaign as his character from TV and didn't really address anything.

It should also be pointed out that Hillary is a qualified lawyer with an impressive resume. Does that make her Presidential material?

Ken Jeong is a medical doctor but is best known for his role in The Hangover. Should we elect him as our next President?
edit on 4/22/2019 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This really doesnt feel that good...

Ukraine, of all places?

Surely all factions (UK, FR, RU, US, GE) had a stake in who won this race... so who chose this guy?

danger signs flashing

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Just to counter, Etonians and Bullingdon Club members are not a joke, or should I say, an insult to UK politics? The Tories are a bunch of parroting, self-enriching puppet masters beholden only to the establishment.

What has May been doing for the last 2 years? Having cosy little tea-parties in Brussels, that's what.

Back on topic, I hope this man is a change for the better. Go Ukraine!

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Just to counter, Etonians and Bullingdon Club members are not a joke, or should I say, an insult to UK politics?

Of course they are but they were dressed as politicians to give the impression of respectability , this on the other hand is in your face comedy with no pretense.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

This isn't exactly a part of the world where they hold investigations. At least not until the populace has risen up and looking for heads.

I made it clear I thought Poroshenko failed as a President. My issue is not with his past or what he has done. It's the fact that he essentially ran his campaign as his character from TV and didn't really address anything.

It should also be pointed out that Hillary is a qualified lawyer with an impressive resume. Does that make her Presidential material?

Ken Jeong is a medical doctor but is best known for his role in The Hangover. Should we elect him as our next President?

Hillary's legal qualifications and resume would indeed make her Presidential material - but her character and policies were rejected. She didn't lose because she was a lawyer or held several roles in public service.

The point is that the new Ukranian President has a background that shows he is a smart, well educated indivudual. His entire campaign was indeed based on 'no promises'. The people of Ukraine were happy with that. That's all that matters. The media, and those that pull their strings are not happy about it and hence the smears, which you seem to have accepted at face value.

Ukraine IS a part of the world where they hold investigations - many are underway and some were used to try and influence the US elections in favour of Hillary Clinton (with direct involvement from Hillary's campaign).

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Rooting out corruption in places like that only mean culling the smaller two bit players and old schoolers, leaving room for only a few if not one major faction that just happens to have a more "Humanitarian" approach to things, which is preferable and more akin to what amounts to some form of stability.

There will still be corruption obviously, just not as much and so openly apparent lol.

I do offer congratulations to him for the fact of being an outsider and beating the establishment.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
If ever evidence were needed that politics is a joke electing a comedian is a good way to provide it.

Bah.

We've had a comedian, an actor, a professional wrestler and a reality TV host among others, Ukraine has nothing on us.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Hey , What A Country !

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Yanukovych was literally stealing billions of dollars from the country. It was only when Russia made him look like a b***h on the global stage that he was ousted.

There's a reason Zelensky was so successful running on an anti-corruption platform.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Good, this means we can all watch Adam Baldwin get crushed as he tries to run for president.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Ummm...that's funny...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Yanukovych was literally stealing billions of dollars from the country. It was only when Russia made him look like a b***h on the global stage that he was ousted.

There's a reason Zelensky was so successful running on an anti-corruption platform.

Corruption is not the same as a country that doesn't investigate.
Like I said - the Ukranian govt aided Hillary Clinton to investigate Trump and pass on information to help her campaign. They are well versed in using govt powers to investigate - they have just done it for political reasons, much like the USA.

Bottom line - there's nothing that disqualifies the new President and nothing to suggest he is not up to the job, yet the snappy leftist headline of labeling him a comedian is quite typical of the vindictive nature of the ideology the media around the world seem to worship. It's nothing new.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think Ukraine needs a disruptor to sort out some of the deeply embedded problems, primarily corruption and addressing continued Russian belligerence.

<<   2 >>

join