It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah bans abortion after 18 weeks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Utah governor signs into law bill to ban abortion after 18 weeks

Utah being one of the most religious led states shouldn't be surprising anyone with this type of legislation.
I've spent some time there and my brother has been a resident for 30 years.
He has lots of great mormon stories.

"This ban adds to the long list of restrictive abortion policies that legislators have already enacted in this state. For example, Utah already forces people seeking abortion to complete a state-mandated online education module and a face-to-face informed consent session designed to discourage people from seeking abortion services, and then wait 72 hours before receiving abortion care," according to the statement."

www.deseretnews.com...

This one is bound to head to court soon.
Guess we'll see how much power states have to control their laws.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Utah governor signs into law bill to ban abortion after 18 weeks

that is interesting
from your link

The ACLU of Utah and Planned Parenthood announced in a joint statement Monday they will challenge the ban in court, calling it unconstitutional.

seems this is the beginning of a fight

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

18 weeks sounds reasonable. that's like more then 4 months. Why would you even want to wait that long to do it ?

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That's four months and some change.

What's wrong with asking people to be pertinent about matters?

I'm for legal abortion, but we as adults also have responsibilities. Four months is more than enough time.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I have no issue with abortion but I do believe in term limits.
4 months is a reasonable time frame in my opinion.

I do wish this type of legislation would deal with adoption issues though.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You are never going to stop women getting abortions if they do not want a child all you will do is force people in the hands of back door abortionists.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: MyToxicTash

to an extent...but many will be discouraged by the legislation. We certainly need not to stimulate it...right ?

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   

As long as emergency contraception is available I think this kind of law is reasonable:

Campus vending machines offer emergency contraception

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
A bit of sense in the much polarised and divisive abortion debate in the US. While people may paint this as a religious argument, it's actually an argument for common sense and humanity.

The recent threads of post-birth abortion i.e. infanticide, just shows how cracked the US debate has become.

So thumbs up for a the governor of Utah.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't have a problem with this bill at a high level. No one should be having abortions after 4 months unless there is some legitimate health reasons affecting either the child or mother.

It isn't asking too much that people put some priority on a life decision in regards to their pregnancy.

I support abortion being legal, but my big beef is that we are not asking for any kind of personal responsibility.

Abortion should be rare and legal. However, no one can argue with a straight face that abortion is rare these days. Given the availability of birth control, it means we have a bunch of people who are too immature to control their sexual urges.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Given the availability of birth control

but why is this issue being mixed with abortion. Are you disapproving of people having safe sex ?

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

but why is this issue being mixed with abortion. Are you disapproving of people having safe sex ?

No, I want more people to use birth control which they obviously aren't if there is so much demand for abortion. Abortion should not be a form of birth control.

Condoms, birth control pills, IUDs, abstinance... heck skeet on tramp stamp/swallow. Whatever. The point being is that there really is no excuse for "accidental" pregnancies. 99% of the time, the accident is that they didn't use proper birth control. PERIOD. If birth control isn't available, be an adult and cool your jets or take matters into your own hands.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The Maddow crowd will again be outraged and apoplectic.

I too wonder how far the States can go in regulating this. Pretty sure the leftist Democrat baby-killers will fight this tooth and nail.

If the courts allow this level of State regulation, maybe the leftist Maddow crowd will finally see the wisdom of allowing fly-over country to go its own way. The cultural disconnect between Utah, rural Texas and places like that from the Coasts is stark, broad and deep.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
And there is always the morning after pill, if the condom breaks.

As a woman, and pro abortion, I don't see anything wrong with this law either.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

No, I want more people to use birth control which they obviously aren't if there is so much demand for abortion. Abortion should not be a form of birth control.

Condoms, birth control pills, IUDs, abstinance... heck skeet on tramp stamp/swallow. Whatever. The point being is that there really is no excuse for "accidental" pregnancies. 99% of the time, the accident is that they didn't use proper birth control. PERIOD. If birth control isn't available, be an adult and cool your jets or take matters into your own hands.

Ok...I misunderstood your post then.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I too wonder how far the States can go in regulating this. Pretty sure the leftist Democrat baby-killers will fight this tooth and nail.

If the courts allow this level of State regulation, maybe the leftist Maddow crowd will finally see the wisdom of allowing fly-over country to go its own way. The cultural disconnect between Utah, rural Texas and places like that from the Coasts is stark, broad and deep.

Poverty kills more babies than abortion. Maybe you should start supporting liberal policies to address poverty. Or you can just continue to use divisive vitriol which will only further the divide in this country.

Nice to see someone taking the high ground for a change. For you people from "Utah, rural Texas and places like that" that was sarcasm.

edit on 27-3-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I think the extremist on both sides of this issue drive the debate....

On the right, you get the anti-abortionists who want it totally illegal under any circumstances even in cases of rape/incest/genetic defects.

On the left, you get the pro-abortionists who want to basically be able to commit infanticide up until birth.

I think most common sense folks are in the middle on this issue. Abortion should be legal, but only up until a point like 4 mos or so kind of like what this law is saying. Only reasons to go after that 4 mos is severe health issues or something like rape/incest imho.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I agree with your thoughts. Although, even with rape/incest you would think 4 months would be enough to decide. In the movies anytime the girl is raped she can't wait to get the even spawn out of her body. Possibly slightly irrational and immoral from God's perspective but who are we to judge. Life is full of imperfections and sins of all kinds. I think only God is qualified to really judge other people.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The things is that in many cases birth control was used. It just failed for some reason. And no woman really knows just a pregnacy will affect her personally. I've known women who learned after the fact that the toxic environment of her workplace was harmful to a developing fetus and advised to remove themselves from it. I've know of one women who everytime she for pregnant her emotions would go heywire so badly her husband would ship her to her mother a to stay because she drove him nuts. And I have my own story of health complications that really prevented me from giving my living breathing kids the care and protection they needed. I'm not sure of what exemptions they have for this. I looked into it and all I can tell you is that at least they thought to put some in. But from what I read it seems that I wouldn't have been exempted.
Which for me would have been the choice of either doing the best I could and praying everything worked out or placing two small children into temporary foster care and praying that I could get them out.
Let me know when they come up wit a method to balance one bad outcome with another and make a just determination as to which one will less to the least destruction.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: TonyS

Poverty kills more babies than abortion. Maybe you should start supporting liberal policies to address poverty. Or you can just continue to use divisive vitriol which will only further the divide in this country.

Nice to see someone taking the high ground for a change. For you people from "Utah, rural Texas and places like that" that was sarcasm.

Liberal policies cause poverty.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join