It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

38 percent of stored grain has been lost due to flooding USA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I tried Taro once too, I would take a good tater any day over that but it wasn't disagreeable. I don't think I tried anything called Kalo though, is that a way they make the taro? I had a friend quite a while ago who had a girlfriend from Hawaii, I ate over there a couple of times, trying some of what she made. That was about forty years ago now. The Poi I had at some kind of restaurants, I can't remember what type they were , one of the asian type or something like that. I learned to ask if the fish is cooked in those places.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Kalo and taro are the same thing. Polynesian languages have evolved (and diverged) over a couple of thousand years but Maui is Maui across the Pacific.

Poi is macerated taro. At varying stages of fermentation. Don't like it at any stage. Fried taro is really good, and just as nutritious. There are hundreds of varieties, each different.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

With the "Just in time" storage system their is no fat left in the system to absorb losses in current production. Any shortages will be felt fast.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Most of the storage is due to the uncertainty of the grain market due to the tariffs imposed by Trump. Farmers are holding onto their product hoping the price will rise when Trump's "great deal" works out.

Don't hold your breath.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: rickymouse

Kalo and taro are the same thing. Polynesian languages have evolved (and diverged) over a couple of thousand years but Maui is Maui across the Pacific.

Poi is macerated taro. At varying stages of fermentation. Don't like it at any stage. Fried taro is really good, and just as nutritious. There are hundreds of varieties, each different.

That is why I didn't like the POI. it is fermented and I got problems with anything fermented, I get migranes off of fermented stuff and probably learned to avoid anything fermented...like that fermented Norwegean fish my dad used to get when I ws a kid. I can't remember how the Taro was prepared when I had it, it wasn't bad, I remember that, but I remember that I like potatoes better. That was about thirty five years ago, I just remember the friends who made it. That is where I had the earthworm noodles one time at their house. The coop had the Taro when I belonged to the one in my home town, I do not know if the one here we are members of has it, I never really looked but I am sure they have it occasionally as a treat for their members.

posted on Mar, 27 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
38%? Highly doubtful. There’s an over supply of grains and soybeans and most is stored in other states or countries. That’s why prices are so low. The glorified welfare recipient farmers aka subsidies only wished it were 38%...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

If you look at government data Wheat, Corn, Soy reserves are down from last years crop yields..Now add this.. We will not have to wait long to see how this event affects the commodity prices one way or the other..

Also there is this: Midwest Apocalypse: Satellite Data Show "At Least 1 Million Acres Of US Farmland" Devastated By Floods

We have never seen anything like this before. According to satellite data that was just released by Reuters, “at least 1 million acres of U.S. farmland” were covered by water for at least seven days this month. That is an agricultural disaster without equal in modern American history, and yet the mainstream media is treating this like it is some sort of second class story. It isn’t. This is the biggest news story of 2019 so far, and people want to know what is going on. A few days ago, I posted a story entitled ‘“As Many As A Million Calves Lost In Nebraska” – Beef Prices In The U.S. To Escalate Dramatically In The Coming Months’, and it has already been shared on social media more than 145,000 times. Farming communities all over the central part of the nation now look like war zones as a result of all this flooding, but the media elites on the east and west coasts don’t want to write about it. And with more flooding on the way for the next two months, this crisis is only going to get worse.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

We have never seen anything like this before. According to satellite data that was just released by Reuters, “at least 1 million acres of U.S. farmland” were covered by water for at least seven days this month.

Umm. Your source has a short memory, or something.. We have seen something like this before. But worse.

1993:

At least 15 million acres of farmland were inundated, some of which may not be useable for years to come.

www.nwrfc.noaa.gov...

And it happened in growing season.
edit on 3/31/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Zerohedge doesn't rank high for factuality. It's actually just a guy in Bulgaria writing under a pseudonym “Tyler Durden”.
mediabiasfactcheck

A factual search reveals a terrible track record with IFCN fact checkers. There are too many failed checks to list here.

I looked it up in Wikipedia and Rationalwiki. See also Dan Ivandjiiski.

Also rationalwiki: Michael_T._Snyder the author of the article that “Tyler Durden” copied.

edit on 31-3-2019 by pthena because: (no reason given)

=============================================
As for actual dangers caused by flooding:

Midwest flooding threatens water safety in 1 million wells

Record flooding in the Midwest is now threatening the safety of more than a million private water wells. The National Ground Water Association estimates that people living in more than 300 counties across 10 states have their groundwater threatened from bacterial and industrial contamination carried by flood waters.

also:

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
He must be FOS when they say worst in the states history youtu.be...

How about NOAA ?
youtu.be...

They are saying unprecedented as many farms will not be able to recover. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle... Farmers were storing crops instead of selling them at a loss due to the trade war with China. At best guesstimate 38% of the stored has been lost due to flooding along with country bridges and roads..
youtu.be...

CBS youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

He must be FOS when they say worst in the states history youtu.be...
It could be. But that's not the same thing as saying:

We have never seen anything like this before. According to satellite data that was just released by Reuters, “at least 1 million acres of U.S. farmland” were covered by water for at least seven days this month.

Farmers were storing crops instead of selling them at a loss due to the trade war with China.
Yes, Trump's tariffs screwed things up for them.

At best guesstimate 38% of the stored has been lost

That's the title of your thread. Please provide a source.

edit on 3/31/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Looks like they may implement some type of recovery plan for the losses, doubt it will be enough for some farmers. According to the reading I did this weekend, alot of farmers will not recover from this, they are being wiped out all together. So this is not a short term situation. Waiting for the dry out is going to cause delays and then there won't be as many farmers when recovery begins.

I also read that areas which were not in the 500 year flood maps have flooded, folks were totally unprepared. Moving livestock to these areas which they expected to survive the flood and then they did not. So factor this with the tariffs and the higher levels of grain in storage that may be ruined, then we have some extraordinary circumstances present that could be different from a prior years flooding that was worse.

Reimbursement for Grain Lost

The government has an indemnity program for livestock killed by storms and flood, but nothing to compensate growers for grain lost to flooding, reports Successful Farming. The issue took center stage Monday at an agriculture roundtable confronting the blizzard and flooding losses in Nebraska, a leading corn, cattle, and soybean state. Federal forecasters say there is potential for moderate or major flooding in 25 states with the Northern Plains and upper Mississippi River basin at greatest risk this spring. “(For) privately stored grain, we don’t have anything in place at USDA,” said Agriculture Undersecretary Greg Ibach at the roundtable. “If Congress passes a disaster package, that may or may not be part of that.”

leolady

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join