It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disputed N.S.A. Phone Program Is Shut Down, Aide Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Suuuurrrreeee they did

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency has quietly shut down a system that analyzes logs of Americans’ domestic calls and texts, according to a senior Republican congressional aide, halting a program that has touched off disputes about privacy and the rule of law since the Sept. 11 attacks.

The agency has not used the system in months, and the Trump administration might not ask Congress to renew its legal authority, which is set to expire at the end of the year, according to the aide, Luke Murry, the House minority leader’s national security adviser.

This program and the many clandestine ones before it were a blatant work around to the 4th amendment.
I do not believe this program was shut down till a bigger, nastier and more ominous one was put in its place.

Personally i believe they have ALL DATA saved and stored (even your n00dz) FOREVER in multiple hardened data centers.

But what do i know?

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

While I want to be upset about my privacy being invaded, I also want to believe the governemnt is preventing terrorist attacks by invading my privacy....if that makes sense. Lol

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

So they bought a better system and they are shutting the older one down.

Yay?

But yea... different system same stuff.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LaceyGaGa

Edward Snowden claimed not one terrorist attack was prevented with these systems

Analysts did trade n00dz that they lifted from tapped devices tho...

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LaceyGaGa

While I want to be upset about my privacy being invaded, I also want to believe the governemnt is preventing terrorist attacks by invading my privacy....if that makes sense. Lol

I want to believe that one day I will run a 60 second 440 yard dash like I did in high school.

But yeah, they shut that program down, that's the ticket. I heard it from my wife, Morgan Fairchild. Mick Jagger heard her say it. We were all out on a fishing trip in, uh, Hawaii. Yeah, that's it. We were in Hawaii.

posted on Mar, 4 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I have one well maintained bridge for sale......cheap!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   
*cough* same exact system re-routed through canada while still collecting all of the information *cough*

But really, this is all that would need to be done, and they have done so in the past. By re routing this information to and through databases outside of the US, all of your data instantly becomes collectable... in even more detail!
edit on 5-3-2019 by dubiousatworst because: elaoration

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Samsung

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Why would they need it if they are just able to get or steal it from the phone companies.
edit on 5-3-2019 by GraffikPleasure because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I highly doubt they are shutting it down and if they are like mentioned it's probably being replaced if not already replaced by something new. They want everyone to think that everything is OK and nothing is happening like how it was before things got exposed. I don't see them stopping completely anytime soon at all.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It's like saying I stored away my .22, because now I got an AR...

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
ANY idiot that is willing to give up freedoms to be "safer" doesn't deserve the freedom they have. Spying on US citizens is unconstitutional and we should not allow it. Everything should be fully transparent and its not. Why is that?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Personally i believe they have ALL DATA saved and stored (even your n00dz) FOREVER in multiple hardened data centers.

Israel.

I would not mind as much if they would just give us access to our own files!

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

An AR "is" a .22!

Just a little faster one.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Well if you read the article, it says the trump admin has not used any of the data banked (it's still being banked) for 6 months. Plus they're not planning on asking for renewal. So yes it is being shut down. But my question for you is this: where is the new program? Why has no one said anything about a new program? Certainly the dems would use this opportunity to blast trump right? Or surely people like rand paul would call it out? So where is it?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

UTAH

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

You know what, that would be nice. They could put all of the cloud backup places out of business. We're already paying for at least a dozen copies of our data through taxes.

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Well, yes, I live only a few dozen miles from that place. I know where it is physically. The question is, where is the legislation that created the new program to utilize that data center?

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Trump's executive order covering enemy combatants

posted on Mar, 5 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

EO =/= legislation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join