It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only college educated people should get to vote

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Raise the age to 21, and must have Proof of a job and taxes paid for State and federal backed by your employer and their federal and state registered tax ID. A homemaker is covered by their spouse and would get to vote, assuming said spouse works and pays taxes.

If you live off of the system, sorry, you do not get to vote to keep your tax payer provided living.

How about something like that?
edit on 3-3-2019 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'm in the UK but is it in the constitution that everyone can vote? If you are a citizen of the USA and the right age?.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You have to pass a test to become a Citizen unless you dropped out at a very young age you would have taken this in school.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
I'm in the UK but is it in the constitution that everyone can vote? If you are a citizen of the USA and the right age?.

Yup..
Except for felons..
They lose the right, other than that any American over 18 can vote.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Simmer down, simmer down.

I don't really think that is a good thing. I do think it would be interesting to make citizens pass
a basic US government test before voting.

How many uneducated voters are there? Do you think literacy would change the outcome of elections?
I've know so many people on both sides of the voting fence just go in and vote straight Republican or Democrat without
even know who they are voting for. I see this on a local level where I live. This isn't just about poor young people, a lot of this
can be said for elderly too.
Can we really trust uneducated people with such a responsibility?

Some of these same questions come up regarding felons and their voting rights, or lack thereof.
Why? They don't make good decisions, have low morals, are uneducated etc...

Yes, the world would be a lot better place, if you where the dictator, cause youre the only one smart enough to tell all those people around the world what they need in their lifes...

People shouldnt vote, just for the sake of voting, agreed.
But telling people they are not smart enough, or white enough, or male enough, or whatever reason you use to justify your dictatorship, because you think youre superior to everyone else, is just plaine stupid.

I dont think YOU are smart enough to vote, so please DONT!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobertCavitt
Furthermore unless the laws have changed you have to pass such a test, or I had to pass such a test before graduating middle school. So unless you or someone you know dropped out of 7th grade every United States Citizen has pass such a test.

Its agendas such as this that have ruined this country. Why not just shoot all the blue collar workers while your at it.

You do realize that a lot of schools don't teach civics anymore?

We are graduating high school kids that are not even functionally literate, much less have a basic understanding of even the structure of our government.

Lots of them have not only not read the Constitution, they have never read the Bill of Rights.

So no... a basic civics exam like we give to immigrants for citizenship would be just fine with me.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Smartest person I've ever known had only a 4th grade education. Most ignorant person I've ever known held a Doctorate. A piece of paper does not make a man/woman.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

So people are against the constitution. I thought folk here stood by the constitution? and are against government interference which it would be If you had to pass a test or something.
Who makes the test? the government that's who don't give them more power and more power to take away peoples votes.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I think men should only be allowed to vote.

Women only vote for how the men-folk tell them to anyway, so what's the point?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I don't think that's enough!

I don't think people should be able to vote until they can recite Pi out to 137 places behind the decimal AND do a Triple Axle, Double Lutz, Triple Axle on ice skates, back to back, ten times without missing, AND eat 4 pounds of Surströmming followed by a glass of warm curdled milk mixed with hot stale beer...without gagging (or crappin' their britches)...AND...then go out on a boat in huge swells in the blazing sun and have to stare into an ashtray full of cigarette butts mixed with Mayonaise which has been sitting in the hot sun for 4 days...without barfing!

THEN...they should be allowed to vote!

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think men should only be allowed to vote.

Women only vote for how the men-folk tell them to anyway, so what's the point?

Only if there's time after they get done making sandwiches....

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
a reply to: Bluntone22

So people are against the constitution. I thought folk here stood by the constitution? and are against government interference which it would be If you had to pass a test or something.
Who makes the test? the government that's who don't give them more power and more power to take away peoples votes.

Constitutions can be amended, otherwise I wouldn't be paying an income tax right now.

And I wouldn't be able to vote.

That's why the amendment process is there... because things need tweaked sometimes.

We have a growing number of functionally illiterate people in our country. We also have a large number of them who live off of the government.

Why should they vote?

link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I don't think that's enough!

I don't think people should be able to vote until they can recite Pi out to 137 places behind the decimal AND do a Triple Axle, Double Lutz, Triple Axle on ice skates, back to back, ten times without missing, AND eat 4 pounds of Surströmming followed by a glass of warm curdled milk mixed with hot stale beer...without gagging (or crappin' their britches)...AND...then go out on a boat in huge swells in the blazing sun and have to stare into an ashtray full of cigarette butts mixed with Mayonaise which has been sitting in the hot sun for 4 days...without barfing!

THEN...they should be allowed to vote!

But only if they have impressive genitalia. Only impressive genitalia people should get to vote, because impressive genitalia.

link   
The largest problem in the modern elective process is citizens voting along straight party lines. You should at least have to put enough effort into learning the names of the candidates that agree with your philosophy.

Allowing only land owners to vote raises the question of HOW MUCH land does one need to own? 1/8 acre? that's the size of most city home lots. Maybe one whole acre. You can buy an acre of sand in Nevada or Arizona for $100. Here out west many people don't really call you a land owner if you don't own at least 100 acres. Where do you draw that line?

Would collective ownership be allowed? What if 100 people joined together and bought an acre of sand for $1 apiece...
edit on 3/3/2019 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hitler also thought only a race of "superior" people, should be allowed to rule the world... You and him got a lot in common, judging by youre ideas, do you like Hitler? Do you really think what youre saying is a good idea?

You sound like a very dangerous person...

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Any "test" for voting would just end up getting "infiltrated" by TPTB and they could "sway" elections anyway just like now 😎

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

...could we agree on morbidly obese and deformed genitalia?

I'll trade out a Double Lutz for freakishly large and twisted junk!

edit on 3/3/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

Come on bringing Hitler into it isn't on Godwins law and all that. The OP has raised a question one I do not believe in but lets not compare him to Hitler for it.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

We have a growing number of functionally illiterate people in our country. We also have a large number of them who live off of the government. Why should they vote?

This is exactly what I am asking. Instead of really thinking about the question, a lot of people have a knee jerk reaction. They can't even get past the title. Change is hard for people. To even think in the abstract and see how things could be better is too much. I think it is absolutely the most American thing to question.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Mandatory 6 months military basic training for all (with limitations for handicaps etc) before any "college degree" is issued.

Voting age 25.

😎

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join