It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only college educated people should get to vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Simmer down, simmer down.

I don't really think that is a good thing. I do think it would be interesting to make citizens pass
a basic US government test before voting.

How many uneducated voters are there? Do you think literacy would change the outcome of elections?
I've know so many people on both sides of the voting fence just go in and vote straight Republican or Democrat without
even know who they are voting for. I see this on a local level where I live. This isn't just about poor young people, a lot of this
can be said for elderly too.
Can we really trust uneducated people with such a responsibility?

Some of these same questions come up regarding felons and their voting rights, or lack thereof.
Why? They don't make good decisions, have low morals, are uneducated etc...

+65 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
A college degree does not equal intelligence. Not having a college degree does not equal stupidity.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Sounds like a stereotype.

It would be just the same outcome if you only allowed democrats to vote.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Rather than this (since I know WAY too many dumb college graduates), I feel all ballots should be required to remove all indications of political party affiliation. We need better informed voters, not disenfranchised citizens.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I couldn't afford college but I'm no idiot in fact some of the dumbest people I meet are University kids.
So no.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Simmer down, simmer down.

I don't really think that is a good thing. I do think it would be interesting to make citizens pass
a basic US government test before voting.

How many uneducated voters are there? Do you think literacy would change the outcome of elections?
I've know so many people on both sides of the voting fence just go in and vote straight Republican or Democrat without
even know who they are voting for. I see this on a local level where I live. This isn't just about poor young people, a lot of this
can be said for elderly too.

Some of these same questions come up regarding felons and their voting rights, or lack thereof.
Why? They don't make good decisions, have low morals, are uneducated etc...

I dont think one should need a college education but I do support a voting competency test.

We give a test to immigrants on our civic system when they become us citizens. Voters should have to pass that same test.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Sounds like every argument against increasing the numbers of people who can vote ever.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A true democracy, "of the people, by the people, for the people. There is no need for voting for a leader. No need for one. Only online voted in workers who carry out the work of the votes. Everything could be voted for in real time online. No lobbyists, no ads, only true facts given before a vote takes place.
edit on 3-3-2019 by drz400 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

voting competency test.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

We require test for so many thing, but not for one of the most important things that can alter our life in America?
A test to drive, a test to practice many professions, a test to pass different schools. etc.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
I couldn't afford college but I'm no idiot in fact some of the dumbest people I meet are University kids.
So no.

Exactly, some of those "dumb" university kids shouldn't be voting.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: drz400
A true democracy, "of the people, by the people, for the people. There is no need for voting. No need for a leader. Only government voted workers who carry out the work of the votes. Everything could be voted for in real time online.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Which is why our founders abhorred the idea of a direct Democracy.

I personally think that we should go back to the founder's first thoughts on voting though... only landowners should be able to vote.

You know, the people with actual skin in the game.

edit on 3-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Raise the voting age to 35 and include a requirement that registered voters must have proof of taxes paid for at least 10 consecutive years between age 18 and 35 to be eligible to vote.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Also it would make a class system those who can vote and those who can not.
Giving no voice to the poorest of society is going to destroy that society.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

only landowners should be able to vote

Could you even imagine.... total civil unrest, but I'm totally for it!

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I know to many people with college degrees to ever think this would be a good idea.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I never finished my degree.

And whether or not anyone here agrees with my world view, I'd venture to gues many would agree I know more than most people who vote or don't vote.

I'm not saying I'm right, just saying most here stay current.

That said I don't think people should be blocked from voting, dumb ass or not.

If you pay taxes (most people do) , you should be able to vote.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Lumenari

only landowners should be able to vote

Could you even imagine.... total civil unrest, but I'm totally for it!

Technically I'd be OK with a voter having to pass the same civics test that a legal immigrant has to pass before coming a citizen.

Although the founder's discussion on property rights and voting rights was a fascinating one.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
Also it would make a class system those who can vote and those who can not.
Giving no voice to the poorest of society is going to destroy that society.

The problem is you also can't allow the ignorant masses to overwhelm the system either. This is one of the foundations of our system and why we are a republic and not a pure democracy.

Being able to pass a simple test to show you have a basic understanding of our system isn't asking much. People who can't even name three branches of govt should not be voting.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ok so I'm guessing you are a liberal or a democrat,

Because only such a person would want to amend the constitution in such a manor, All men are created equal, If you have a collage education. But let's not stop there, let's add if you have a college education and you are educated in the field of business, business law, political infrastructure and demonic influence.

Setting sanctions on the American people is going backward in social evolution.

Why not take away women's right to vote and indoctrinate people to accept slavery while your at it.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Furthermore unless the laws have changed you have to pass such a test, or I had to pass such a test before graduating middle school. So unless you or someone you know dropped out of 7th grade every United States Citizen has pass such a test.

Its agendas such as this that have ruined this country. Why not just shoot all the blue collar workers while your at it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join