It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Arrested For Posting Video Of High School Brawl On Social Media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Oh yeah, land of the free.

This is nuts.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
It isn't stated as some school issue. It is a state law about post illegal activities in social media. The news media do it all day and so do many individuals. Is Louisiana tracking them all down?

I think really that this is the real issue. What distinguishes the crime from free press? Where is the line? It seems like an unconstitutional law.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Oh wow. I was ready to defend a citation albeit arrest being a little harsh, but then I actually read what law she broke. Before reading it, it seemed obvious that the offense would pertain to privacy of a minor.

That's just nuts.

Well, rules is rules I guess.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   

What a trash human.

That being said, all the stupid # uploaded everywhere but this is problem?

Whatever happened to if you dont wanna view it, dont view it.
edit on 23-2-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I quite like Janis Joplin, and yeah it does seem to be a similar line of thought with that verse about freedom.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:44 AM
link   
So from the responses I've seen so far..we have the.....

" but but Hillary or Obama" as in "the MSM does it all the time" excuse - ATS'er are admonished for triggering the Dems when they bring it into a Trump thread

What we haven't seen in the responses is the " but you're free to change schools if you can't handle the rules "

or the other usual " its Youtube did you read the T & C's they set the rules "

or " you're free to change employers if you don't like the pay or conditions "

hmmmm......

Now many police around the Planet...yes you read that here.....have statutes that regulate the filming of criminal activity, so she was charged.

Both students were charged. The adult thing would have been to call for Police assistance - then the Police would be left with the problem of whether they should intervene or not or even bother to attend.

Did anyone mention that it would make sense to try to stop this increase in violence rather than trying to glorify it by posting it to a wider audience.

What if 1 of the students had died?

Would a new thread be written saying what a POS the grown up was for not doing the right thing?

from link

hospitalized because he fell and smacked his head on a concrete

Head on concrete peeps...its not rocket science that this often ends with death or total incapacity.

But this is a divided America we're talking about where violence is accepted if it means invading other countries for resources, where a possible future for a lot of these students maybe the military to try to get a further education rather than pay for an expensive degree. This is a society ( and Australia has gone down the same path ) that lives vicariously through social media, the Kardashians, etc.

Where civil discourse is often the last option way after I assert "my rights over your rights"

rah rah America....

The Police response...

Posting videos and photos of illegal activity on social media is against the law in the State of Louisiana

If she had posted it and notified the Police she would have been a witness in future legal proceedings.

But lets be honest here she did it for the "Likes"

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

What if 1 of the students had died? Would a new thread be written saying what a POS the grown up was for not doing the right thing?

Yeah but....

after she posted a video her son had taken of the fight

yeah, she didnt take the video, so im sure if he had died she wouldnt have gotten the video.......

She didnt take it.......so all that is really irrelevant.......

Tragic as it all may be........

Next time maybe look into the whole thing before making those links that arent there bud.......cheers

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Whatever happened to if you dont wanna view it, dont view it

You miss the point...what part of the word "notoriety" don't you understand

was charged with unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity for sharing the video

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

OK she wasn't there ...who knows when exactly she posted it

"she was an accessory"

You know like when your mate breaks some glass or tips over a trash can after a few drinks and you pretend nothing happened..an accessory.

My points still stands "she did it for the Likes"

link

was charged with unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity for sharing the video

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   

OK she wasn't there ...who knows when exactly she posted it

You tell me, youre the one who made the wrong accusation.......

"she was an accessory"

Thats not how the law works, she wasnt there so no, she wasnt.........was it irresponsible, yeah probably so, should she be arrested for a video her son took that she had nothing to do with other than reposting it? No......thats a travesty of justice.

You know like when your mate breaks some glass or tips over a trash can after a few drinks and you pretend nothing happened..an accessory.

Yeah if youre there watching him break it, otherwise, If someone films my mate doing that, and i Post it, no im not an accessory, I was at home in bed and wouldnt have known otherwise ....

With that president we can all be guilty of crimes for re-posting videos of people being shot, cops acting bad, and isis committing human atrocities........

Think man..........think.....the only thing youre doing now is trying to justify the premise you made earlier because your assumption was she was there, now you know you were wrong, and you have to make up ground.........just stop man.....

Admit you were wrong and be cool with it.....thats how we grow brother

Edit: Ps Im wrong like 30 times a day just ask my girl............its ok to be

edit on 2/23/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   

If we all lived in Louisiana, then half the videos posted here on ATS would land us in jail. (Protesters setting things on fire, people assaulting other people over politics, etc.) That's a bit chilling to think about.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I understood I just didn't care.

Shocking concept I know.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

If we all lived in Louisiana, then half the videos posted here on ATS would land us in jail. (Protesters setting things on fire, people assaulting other people over politics, etc.) That's a bit chilling to think about.

LoL well if you live in florida and a law like this was implemented the whole state would just be one giant prison......

That place is nuts

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
That law has good intentions behind it.
If people have started behaving thuggishly for the sake of recording themselves doing it and getting kudos from their peers, isn't this one way of cracking down on the problem?
The catch is that it's hard to draw the legal line between that and whistle-blowing.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
If people have started behaving thuggishly for the sake of recording themselves doing it and getting kudos from their peers, isn't this one way of cracking down on the problem?
The catch is that it's hard to draw the legal line between that and whistle-blowing.

But it's not like that's a wide-spread problem. It just seems like a really handy way of putting the squeeze on anyone looking to make people aware of actual crimes, injustices, or ...moral outrages, I guess, that they feel people should be aware of. I suppose it comes down to the actual people involved in the judicial system in the area.

For example (and I haven't seen the woman's post, so I have no idea what she actually said, this is just a hypothetical), she could have posted the video and said, "Holy #, that boy is a badass! Check out how he laid that boy out! Woot!" That would just be more than a little sick, and I could see taking some action. But the same law could be used if she posted it and said, "The kid that got laid out is my son's friend. He didn't start this. All he did was defend himself from a bully but he's getting expelled too. Call the school and tell them that's not acceptable." (And again, I have no idea what she said or what the video showed other than it was a fight. This is just an example of something that COULD happen.)

You could say, in both cases, that she was looking for notoriety; one is foul click-bait and the other is an attempt to right a wrong, but both could be punished. Laws like this worry me.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
You could say, in both cases, that she was looking for notoriety; one is foul click-bait and the other is an attempt to right a wrong, but both could be punished. Laws like this worry me.

My last line was making the same point. It isn't easy to cover one without a risk of covering the other.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This needs to be challenged on 1st amendment grounds.

Nothing about this sits right with me.

"Posting videos and photos of illegal activity on social media is against the law in the State of Louisiana."

Haha.

As the LA law enforcement seems to assert, cops could arrest you for posting surveillance videos of someone ransacking your house, or a bystander witnessing an assault. This one won't stand up to even basic 1st amendment challenges.

It honestly surprises me that cops wouldn't see this as hampering their cause as they routinely catch people for the stupid stuff they post on social media (felons with guns, drug use etc.)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

While there are consequences for exercising free speech here, the line is drawn at criminality in the U.S. It is very clear and has been upheld many many times even though laws periodically overstep.

She could legally suffer all of the consequences you mention and implied like losing facebook or Youtube privilidges, losing her job, etc. You are confusing the situation when you are trying to lump the "go to another school if you don't like the rules" arguments with this one. They are charging her with a crime for posting a video.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

This is a law?

"charged with unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity for sharing the video on social media, where officials said that it was "shared repeatedly."

Shouldn't the news channels be guilty of this action with a large part of their reporting. They are now on social media. News outlets use it to make money from advertising.

Another link

Let's see, so it's ok for Local and national new to share criminal activity via the 6 and 11 o'clock news, make profits, and gain notoriety, however if a citizen does it it's not?

This will be a landmark case.

The school and prosecutors will lose, due to the 1st amendment.

Chalk-up Louisiana's unconstitutional law being overturned, in the next 12 months.

edit on 23-2-2019 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I see your point, but

Acting isn't actually breaking the law. Otherwise most of Hollywood would be locked up.

A law to address that issue would be written differently.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join