It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Arrested For Posting Video Of High School Brawl On Social Media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

A Louisiana mother has been arrested after she posted a video on Facebook that her son recorded of a fight between two other students at Acadiana High School. 32-year-old Maegan Adkins-Barras was charged with unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity for sharing the video on social media, where officials said that it was "shared repeatedly."

"Parents who receive information concerning criminal activity on school campuses are urged to contact their local police department or school administration," police said in a statement. "Posting videos and photos of illegal activity on social media is against the law in the State of Louisiana."

Adkins-Barras deleted the video after she was contacted by the school's resource officer, but was still taken into custody. If she is convicted, she could be fined up to $500 and jailed for up to six months.

Link

This is a law?

"charged with unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity for sharing the video on social media, where officials said that it was "shared repeatedly."

Shouldn't the news channels be guilty of this action with a large part of their reporting. They are now on social media. News outlets use it to make money from advertising.

Another link
edit on 2/22/2019 by roadgravel because: add link

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Seems freedom is nothing more than a catchphrase or an ideology perhaps, it's certainly not the reality.

This is nuts to get arrested for posting that on to social media, that is literally what it's there for, to discuss events and things that have happened, like a high school fight...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Her lawsuit payout will make her and her family quite wealthy when this has been challenged in district court as a rights violation and unlawful imprisonment.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Distasteful as it may be..... That's seems pretty distopian police state to me......

YouTube and half the other multimedia sites out there wouldn't be around if it wasn't for stuff like this..... And liveleak would be felony

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wonder if it has been challenged before. This is the bread and butter of the news media.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I am willing to bet she is targeted by the school or a parent.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   
A blatant infringement of the first amendment. She will probably find a lawyer to counter sue and win.

Funny how you can publicly burn the US flag, but apparently you can't post evidence of events that happened...
edit on 22-2-2019 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Hmmm .. just thinking if it was my son in the brawl I sure wouldn’t want to see it splashed all over social media.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I don't know about Louisiana, but mutual combat is legal in most states. I guess it'd depend on the situation. I don't see how posting a video of it would be illegal.

That said, I don't know why a parent would post the video to begin with..

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This needs to be challenged on 1st amendment grounds.

Nothing about this sits right with me.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Yeah.. I get your point about mutual combat being legal in most states.

I don’t think she should have been charged, but like you .. I think it’s in poor judgement to post it on social media.

edit on 22-2-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
At $500 a pop the state should start mining youtube and facebook.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
She doesn't look to bad, and only 32 with a child in high school? She started young.

On a serious note this story is messed up. But crazy and unbelievable stories of our libertys being trampled on have become the norm.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
Hmmm .. just thinking if it was my son in the brawl I sure wouldn’t want to see it splashed all over social media.

I think it might depend on why something was posted. If I posted it to show how much of a bad@ss my kid was, no sympathy for that -- trash is trash. But maybe her kid is getting a bad rap from the school for whatever reason, and the video tells a different story, and she posted the evidence to back her claims?

Don't know.

I'm just saying I can see different reasons for why a parent might post a video of an incident their child were involved in and not all of them are nefarious.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

"Woah woah woah, hold on a minute here! You mean, she's making others aware of the problems with our school system? Oh HELLL NO!!! Shut that damn woman up, ASAP!"

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Sheye

I think it might depend on why something was posted. If I posted it to show how much of a bad@ss my kid was, no sympathy for that -- trash is trash. But maybe her kid is getting a bad rap from the school for whatever reason, and the video tells a different story, and she posted the evidence to back her claims?

Don't know.

I'm just saying I can see different reasons for why a parent might post a video of an incident their child were involved in and not all of them are nefarious.

I don’t believe she was the mother of either child in the fight. Her son took the video, then she posted it on social media for attention is my guess. Rather rude in my opinion.

I get what you’re saying if one had been her child, and she was using it as proof.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think the issue is the privacy of the kids that are shown in that video. At our school they have a page you have to sign every year stating that you give permission for you child to have pictures/videos made. Or you can refuse permission. Not school pictures. Like video/pictires of awards ceremony, or honor roll, year book. If it were my child, I wouldn't want that shown. If this was two kids fighting for the usual high school drama, it shouldn't have been done. If it was wrong doing of the school or teachers, then it should.
edit on KAmerica/Chicago2280000002019-02-22T21:51:17-06:00k19Febpm by Kentuckymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It isn't stated as some school issue. It is a state law about post illegal activities in social media. The news media do it all day and so do many individuals. Is Louisiana tracking them all down?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Exactly, I'm sure if the MSM reported this and said "Woman arrested for posting this video" and then played the video for the whole country to see there would be no issue whatsoever. It just doesn't make sense. She needs to call the lawyer of that convington kid and get that lawsuit rolling.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Seems freedom is nothing more than a catchphrase or an ideology perhaps, it's certainly not the reality.

read your post and the first thing that came to mind was this from a singer song writer that i never cared much for.
ironic thing is how the song starts off.

just thought that kinda funny.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join