It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch 10,000 Maggots Scarf Down a Pizza in Two Hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hope everyone's had their breakfast.

I hate maggots, they disgust me to no end. But this was fascinating (and kinda horrifying)to watch....

motherboard.vice.com...

In order to advance the scientific method and the principles of empiricism, scientists fed a 16-inch cheese pizza to 10,000 maggots.

The feeding frenzy—the maggots scarfed down the whole pie in two hours—was documented in a time-lapse video, and described in a study published Wednesday in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface.

Researchers led by Olga Shishkov, a mechanical engineering PhD student at Georgia Tech, devised the experiment to examine the amazing eating powers of black soldier fly larvae.

Black soldier flies have a lot of potential as biological composters and waste recyclers because of their eating skills, and the species is not a pest or a vector for disease.

These baby flies are the Joey Chestnuts of the maggot world. They can eat twice their body weight in one day and they gorge at an accelerated rate compared to their larval competitors.

It turns out the maggots create a “fountain of larvae” on the pizza, in the words of the authors.

“Larvae crawl towards the food from below, feed, and then are expelled on the top layer,” Shishkov’s team said. “This self-propagating flow pushes away potential roadblocks, thereby increasing eating rate.”

edit on 12/2/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Thanks.

I hate it.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Being brought back into the medical field after a 100 year hiatus.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Maggots are cool.

The fishing bait shops in the uk sell them by the pint.

Red, white or mixed.

In the 90s you could get bronze coloured ones which were also fat but the dye was carcinogenic.

I also like tiny maggots called squats or ‘pinkies’.

Anglers hold a mighty under their tongue in winter to get it wriggling more by heating it up.

I’ve crunched them, they taste salty.

Put a load in a tub and leave it, after an hour in the heat you open it and they erupt! Like a volcano!
Mi once left a pint in the garage, turned into huge docile flies! My mum wasn’t happy. Ah the memories. That was 25 years ago.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

looks like the rice I had in Korea. Had to chase em around the plate with my chopsticks.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Best way to clean an infected open wound. Maggots have a built-in antiseptic, and clean out all the dead tissue from wounds.

They've already saved many people's limbs from being amputated

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Mmm lunch just ate lunch.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

none of the 10.000 maggots were: lactose intolerant, allergic to tomatoes, gluten free or a vegan?

Very surprising these days...

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

Maggots are cool.

The fishing bait shops in the uk sell them by the pint.

Red, white or mixed.

In the 90s you could get bronze coloured ones which were also fat but the dye was carcinogenic.

I also like tiny maggots called squats or ‘pinkies’.

Anglers hold a mighty under their tongue in winter to get it wriggling more by heating it up.

I’ve crunched them, they taste salty.

Put a load in a tub and leave it, after an hour in the heat you open it and they erupt! Like a volcano!
Mi once left a pint in the garage, turned into huge docile flies! My mum wasn’t happy. Ah the memories. That was 25 years ago.

Hmmm...think i'll stick to crickets and worms for bait. My experiences with maggots tends to be more centered around finding them on rotting food and such.
edit on 12/2/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Best way to clean an infected open wound. Maggots have a built-in antiseptic, and clean out all the dead tissue from wounds.

They've already saved many people's limbs from being amputated

Yep .
And as a diabetic , if I ever am faced with infection , bring them little fellas on and turn em loose.
Better than the other option

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

My experiences with maggots tends to be more centered around finding them on rotting food and such.

Precisely why they are making a medical comeback

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

none of the 10.000 maggots were: lactose intolerant, allergic to tomatoes, gluten free or a vegan?

Very surprising these days...

Naw , that is not the way they roll

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Reminded me of DC politicians going through our taxes, with about the same result...nothing.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Don't they use maggots to clean out infected wounds? The way they devoured that pizza, explains why they're being used to clean out infected wounds, lol. At least they do some good instead of just looking slimy and gross, lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Dug, you need to load up YouTube and search ‘maggot farm’.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Big whoop, DB can do that in 2 seconds.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

When I was a kid, we'd find a roadkill coyote or raccoon and tie it to a branch over the Gila River just upstream from a bend or hole. After a few days, you fish that hole or bend with a maggot and it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Caught some ridiculous brown trout and smallmouth bass that way.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Big whoop, DB can do that in 2 seconds.

Watch 10,000 DBs scarf down Italy in under 2 hours...

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It wouldn't be a boot anymore, more like a stump.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It wouldn't be a boot anymore, more like a stump.

A sandal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join