It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prion disease spreads to 24 US states and Canada, potentially threatening humans

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

An incurable, mad-cow-like brain infection nicknamed “zombie deer disease” ... has spread through half the US – and some fear it may soon turn up in humans.

Like mad cow disease, CWD attacks the brain and spinal cord and is believed to be caused by prions, infectious proteins that travel in bodily fluids and remain contagious for years after leaving the body of their host.

“It is probable that human cases of CWD associated with the consumption of contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead,”

Even in the wild, in some areas more than one in four deer are infected
Source

This sounds like really disturbing news. A prion disease similar to mad cow disease is spreading through deer populations across 24 US states, as well as Canada. In some areas, incidents of infection are as high as one in four deer, and significantly higher in some captive deer populations. The problem, however, is that symptoms can go undetected for up to a year - meaning that when hunters shoot the deer and take the meat, those consuming the meat may have no idea they're consuming infected meat. Even more worrying is the fact that the prions causing this disease can remain contagious for years outside of a host body... Oh, and it's also incurable. Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease and Research Prevention, spoke to lawmakers Thursday to warn them that human infection will likely begin occurring in the near future.

This seems like a nightmare just waiting to happen.
edit on 2/9/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Sad to hear that, now in Japan we have a pig disease that the farmers are killing their pigs.

Mgo foods?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   
A zombie apocalips on the way!
But seriously this is extreamly bad because there has been zero news on this!
Also those who have the disease may not know it for years and may spread it through bodily fluids! WTF?
So if I kissed a girl with the virus I may turn into a zombie too!
Its already in the USA yeah thats right 24 US states and its in Canada too! Really?! WTF?
No cure?!
Eat a piece of bad chicken and its zombie time?!
Eat some bad salad and I turn into a zombie? OMFG! WTF?
Where did this come from?!

DARPA has experimented with creating zombies as well WTF? I kid you not:
The Pentagon's Newest Project: Zombies
gizmodo.com...

Seems that there has been some zombie virus training for police and soldiers as well.

Also there seems to be a military training plan for zombies on a mass scale. This is just crazy!

U.S. military actually made a zombie apocalypse training manual :
www.dailydot.com...
The zombie attack training manual, “CONOP 8888,” or “Counter Zombie Dominance,” is dated April 2011, and was supposedly found buried on a secret military computer. It tells military planners how to defeat an invasion of flesh eaters, and how to preserve the sanctity of “non-zombie life.” From magic zombies to chicken zombies, even vegetarian zombies, they’re all in the file, with a plan for how to take them out.

“Zombies pose a threat to all non-zombie human life,” says CONOP8888. “[Strategic Command] will be prepared to preserve the sanctity of human life and conduct operations in support of any human population—including traditional adversaries.”

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Sounds like another nothing burger to me. Every day there's a horrible disease that's going to cause the end of the world and then......nothing.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The researchers identified two drugs that restored protein production rates in mice – trazodone hydrochloride, a licensed antidepressant, and dibenzoylmethane (DBM), a compound being trialled as an anti-cancer drug. Both drugs prevented the emergence of signs of brain cell damage in most of the prion-diseased mice and restored memory in the FTD mice. In both mouse models, the drugs reduced brain shrinkage which is a feature of neurodegenerative disease.

mrc.ukri.org...

The leaps and bounds we can achieve is impressive.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
you guys are smoking the wrong stuff
this is serious stuff
here in japan they are killing the pigs by the thousands

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Holy crap!

The Night King and his army has already made it here.

Everyone start training ur dragonz.

It's for the children.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
this is serious stuff

Swine disease seems to be a contagious viral disease and not a prion disease. Two different things.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: musicismagic
this is serious stuff

Swine disease seems to be a contagious viral disease and not a prion disease. Two different things.

oh ok
but the new s aboard maybe not reporting it

japan now won't sell japanese pig meat
american pig meat now is prime

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Swine disease was also known as a filth disease which arose from too many animals concentrated in small areas or pens.

Interestingly that deer in captivity or farms actually have higher rates of prion disease - could there be a link to it also being a filth disease?
edit on 02CST07America/Chicago02370728 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
a reply to: musicismagic

Swine disease was also known as a filth disease which arose from too many animals concentrated in small areas or pens.

Interestingly that deer in captivity or farms actually have higher rates of prion disease - could there be a link to it also being a filth disease?

yes

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
it is very sad that the pig population in Japan is being destroyed
Thousands
I don't know the cause actually, but it is dangerous for humans to eat the pigs.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

The Pentagon's Newest Project: Zombies

Nowhere in the article is the subject of zombies mentioned. Other than the glorified headline

Seems that there has been some zombie virus training for police and soldiers as well.

No , no training in zombies. Nothing serious anyway

Also there seems to be a military training plan for zombies on a mass scale. This is just crazy!

Yeah . Brought on by a manual and video from the CDC due to the "Walking Dead" being filmed in Atlanta. Near the CDC . It was not serious.

I am glad you were just joking.
You were , correct?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Something is going to exterminate life on this planet . Sometime.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I was going to start crying "go vegan" but then I noticed this is rt.com. Prion disease is a threat but really, are you all so quick to believe whatever comes out of the maw of a known source for Russian psyops disinformation?

Puleeze. I thought we'd gotten a bit more sophisticated than to take this kind of bait so quickly.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
I was going to start crying "go vegan" but then I noticed this is rt.com. Prion disease is a threat but really, are you all so quick to believe whatever comes out of the maw of a known source for Russian psyops disinformation?

Puleeze. I thought we'd gotten a bit more sophisticated than to take this kind of bait so quickly.

HERE is a link directly from the CDC itself reporting the same thing.
You made yourself look like a fool, congratulations.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

But seriously this is extreamly bad because there has been zero news on this!

Plenty of news as it has been known for years. Previous thread here. Might not be discussed much in the center of a big city.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Why go vegan?

Lab grown meat is your future.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Why go vegan?

s

Could new filth diseases arise from there too?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It may be. Then we will hear that there is a recall because of test tube disease. Return it, throw it away or give it to "a friend" (wink).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join