It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you hear it when you pop a zit? (HEAR IT THRU YOUR SKIN?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I can. Where ever it is on my body I hear it what seems like in my ears, like I'm hearing it with my ears. Same with plucking hairs. I know whether or not I actually succeeded via if I hear it or not.

Is this a normal 'thing' for people?

I had never heard anyone talk about this, wasnt sure what it 'was', maybe it was 'all in my head'?!?

I mean half the time theres no way my ears can actually pick up and audible. So although it 'felt' like I was hearing it with my ears it did seem like it was the skin.

Then I saw this article when it came out:

People Hear with Their Skin as well as Their Ears

The act of hearing is a group effort for the human body's organs, involving the ears, the eyes and also, according to the results of a new study, the skin.

In 1976 scientists discovered the importance of the eyes to our sense of hearing by demonstrating that the eyes could fool the ears in a peculiar phenomenon named the McGurk effect. When participants watched a video in which a person was saying "ga" but the audio was playing "ba," people thought they heard a completely different sound—"da." Now, by mixing audio with the tactile sense of airflow, researchers have found that our perception of certain sounds relies, in part, on being able to feel these sounds. The study was published November 26 in Nature.

So that was the answer to that?!?

Article didnt mention popping zits or plucking hairs.

So now its been 10 years, and I've still never heard anyone else mention this phenomena.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

So I have this 'condition' known as "Low Latent Inhibition", which in short means my brain processes 'all' the sensory stimuli datas that our senses pick up, where normal people their Latent Inhibition keeps most of it on mute so they're not constantly overwhelmed by it all (to over-simply the effects of having the volume turned up).

In order to even attempt to explain what low latent inhibition is, I feel it is vital that an understanding of the term “latent inhibition” is reached. Latent inhibition is a term used to explain how our observation of a familiar stimulus (e.g. something we see, hear, smell, feel or taste that we’ve had before) takes longer to acquire meaning than a new stimulus. It’s essentially a mental tool you develop in order to experience the world in a manageable way. You use latent inhibition in your day-to-day interactions with the environment.

For example, consider how you experience a doorknob. You are familiar with door handles and how they work, what the purpose of them is and in most cases a door handle wouldn’t interest you enough for you to pay it any notice. Why should you? You know how they work already and have seen them before. Your brain applies the same rule to different types of door handles on all sorts of doors, “It is there so that I can open this door”. You do not question the choice of door handles or look into the finer details in terms of why that door handle in particular was chosen, because if your brain had to do this every time a new stimulus presented itself it wouldn’t be able to cope and would overload. This is why we have Latent Inhibition. It allows us to distinguish familiar doorknobs from unfamiliar doorknobs so we can simplify how we experience the world.

Low latent inhibition

With low latent inhibition, an individual almost treats familiar stimuli in the same manner as they would new stimuli. Think of the details you notice when you see something new for the first time and how it grabs your attention. From those details all kinds of questions may arise in your mind. “What is that, what does it do, why is it there, what does it mean, how can it be utilized” and so on. The more of those questions you are able to figure out or answer, the better your understanding of that stimulus. The better your understanding of that stimulus, the more logical connections you are able to make between that stimulus and others around it. With the use of human memory you are then able to remember which questions you’ve already answered in relation to a particular stimulus, and those answers may then result in more questions. Low latent inhibition will usually result in extremely accurate instincts due to the sheer level of thought, processing and logical connection that has been made previously when faced with a stimulus or multiple stimuli. www.lowlatentinhibition.org...

For me LLI is just 'normal'. It isnt something I hardly ever think about, even though I'm aware of 'it' (most people havent even heard the term).

And normally its a true gift, they way I've always managed to harness it.

Until recently I went to work at Amazon, and that "Picking" task in there having to rifle thru thousands of randomized products per hour, although as an inventor it was cool at first, after a few days I could tell 'something was wrong'. For the first time my gift was a true humbling curse. Long story, but by week three came the persistent Frontal Lobe Tension Headache that lasted all week even when I was at home. And by then they were writing me up for my numbers. Where I really needed the money and all that overtime I was going to soldier thru even with the headaches, I thought. Or beat them with ingenuity (I tried everything finally went in with a pocket full of super hot peppers and proceeded to kick the 'games' ass. The stations are like Dance Dance Revolution plus Simon Says with a dash of Tetris, and all the sudden I was doing Tekken Tournament. Burned up my guts though too much for that to work the next night, and the clock was ticking would I be written up again (FIRED) or would my BRAIN ACHE situation be too much, first? Only could make it another week before the numbers game ran me down. And so my fun was only just beginning in trying to persist there.

But the point herein is this most distressing series of months had me thinking a whole lot about LLI.

And recently got me to wondering:

Does everyone hear their zits pop & little hairs pluck, or might my 'hearing' it be part of my LLI (maximum sensory processing) 'condition'???

PS: I actually wrote a lot more detail about the literal torture chamber those Amazon stations went on to be for me, but ran out of space, but I'll talk about that after if anyone is interested.

PSS: I recently started getting the annoying thick hairs forming up around the openings of my ears, and plucking them is the maximum satisfying.

PSSS: For those annoying zits (that hurt and or wont pop) pluck its hair out and problem(s) solved.

edit on 31-1-2019 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I get a small lump that forms slowly inbetween my eyes at the top of my nose. There's no red bump or head, but after a while it becomes noticable. It makes a squirt noise when I pinch it via both index fingers or thumbs as white stuff reminiscent of cookng grease hits the bathroom mirror, then I wipe it off.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

I mean if you pop a 'zit' on your arm (or anywhere on your body your ears shouldnt be able to 'properly hear' it)?

Same with plucking out hairs?

Sounds like you have a cyst. Trying smelling that ooze next time.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I do. I thought it was normal. I can hear my farts too.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

Thats because farts are loud enough for your ears.

And I do love jokes, but now I'm not sure if you were joking about the hearing thru skin thing.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You shouldn't make this thread. Now the government will take you to a lab for experiments.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   
How could it be a cyst, or why do you say that? I thought it's where my oils collect, combined with the bit of pomade I use everyday. It's the logical spot where it would collect. It slowly fills up and I pop it once a month or two. It doesn't "pop" but the technique is same and the stuff that comes out is identical to pimple goop of the dryer variety, not the mucus snot consistency. I'd say two big pimples worth comes out. If it were a cyst, how is it bad for me, is it common to become cancerous, a pre cursor to a skin cancer, or probably benign? It smells like cheese 🤣
edit on 1/31/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I hear them and even chew on them after... that was humour by the way.

Does your wee smell an hour after eating asparagus?

Lags

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 03:51 AM
link   

It happens to me too.

I think it's normal for our minds to conger up phantom sounds during those kinds of activates.

When my legs are under a thick blanket and I scratch one with a toe . I "hear" a scratching sound in my head.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

As someone who has a recurring cyst on my spine, what you describe sounds exactly like a cyst.

The only way to remove them permanently is to have the sac surgically removed or cut out.

I'd cut the one on my back out myself (I cut one out of the top of my ear years back, wasn't too bad), but I can't reach my spine, it doesn't give me any problems (a tiny squeeze maybe once every six to eight weeks or so keeps things in check), it's right in the middle of an expensive piece of ink, and I've seen the scars that the hospital leaves when cutting sacs out.

If it gets out of hand or starts to give me issues I'll have it dealt with, but as it is, it's almost as if it's not even there.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

I believe it is real in your mind.

Amazon has driven you insane.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   
So does anyone so far actually hear the zits / hairs like I'm describing.

I'm really trying to figure out if its normal or if its a Low Latent Inhibition thing or maybe all the drugs I didnt do in the 60's.

Okay that last part a joke, my uncles saying actually, which he always follows up with "if you remember the 60's you werent even there man".

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sorry, I forgot to address the question, in a word, yes.

It's something that I noticed as a teenager and thought it odd.

I guess no one talks about it because, well; zits, pimples, spots, cysts and such are generally something people tend to keep to themselves.

Interesting thread, I'm going to take it as confirmation that I am somehow hearing it through my skin, as it can be heard, just not through the ears.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm really trying to figure out if its normal or if its a Low Latent Inhibition thing or maybe all the drugs I didnt do in the 60's.

Okay that last part a joke, my uncles saying actually, which he always follows up with "if you remember the 60's you werent even there man".

Yes I do.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Wanna discuss the popping of things on the skin do we??? Bwahaha, you did this to yourself! I now present, the most epic zit/cyst pop ever!!! It's old and has likely been seen before, but I will keep it's memory alive!

As far as the topic, I have always heard the pops when I squeeze something from my arm. Not until you brought this up did I think anything of it. I actually have poor hearing so I guess I should have realized there is no way I should have heard the tiny pops from my arm. Now I know ow skin can hear, which I only learned right this moment.

Thanks for teaching me something new.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I do occasionally. It depends on the zit.

But it sounds like you have something akin to Auditory Processing Disorder. My son has it. His brain never developed the filters that most people have that tune that kind of thing out. Most of us will hear ourselves breathing, but we have to make an effort to do it. He just constantly hears it naturally and has to make an effort to tune it out. He hears all the little things like that, so it makes his life really distracting and loud.

His audiologist says his brain might develop those filters as he ages or it might not. It depends on whether he has this as a function of chronic ear infections or just genetically.

It's not the only part of his disorder, but it's one of the more interesting bits.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am so glad that I had finished my coffee before I found this thread.
Some of the bigger ones do seem to POP!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join