It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Collapse - Trash

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

If you're careful, dress appropriately, it's doable. Not fun, mind you...but doable.

Coldest I've ever been out in was the winter I spent on St. Paul Island in the Bering Sea, when a Siberian Express came through.

Out of the wind, it was, as I recall, -40 degrees F, windchill was off the charts. We were outside for 5 minutes, at a time, preferably less. Lasted for about a week.

No, it's less than comfortable. But you can adapt to it, with a little forethought.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Show up at your new neighbor with a shovel and inform her $200 is dirt cheap for clearing a driveway. Then offer a HUGE discount of $50 to come do it every time it snows.

eta: Temperatures like this show what that fur lined hood is all about.
edit on 30-1-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

our City hires the trash-men workforce... they begin around 5 AM, I see lots of those workers that ride on the bumpers wearing flimsy $5 hoodies under their safety vests... one day soon that kind of image will be considered too primitive to tolerate for the sanitation workers... I imagine that weatherized golf carts will tail right behind the big Trash Trucks in the near future...

I still wear my zip up Arctic Suit I bought from 1977 Sears @ $40-->> on these 30 degree days/nights here along the SC Grand Strand... but if the Weather/Climate Change gets those Polar-Vortex Storms here in SC on a regular basis - then the City should be required to clothe the Trash Workers in Adverse Weather Gear as the Right-Thing-To-Do gloves/arctic suits/footwear & the work overload because of several days of No trash pickups should result in receiving pay for the days they were idle because of Inclimate Weather/Storms

that's as far 'left' as I go...

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Some coastal areas survive from scrapping unwanted ships and it's totally bleak as lives go. I've seen other places where mostly Western nations dump their waste and these guys go through it all. Grim lives indeed, but good examples of what it means to truly have to survive in a post-infrastructure world.

I'd say the bright side is the government and financial guys who take us there won't survive long. Still I think I'd rather have those assholes and live in this world than ever see the one after TSHTF. Some bargain huh?

The Cloward–Piven strategy is something I'll be looking at later today. Some ideas...

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I live in Florida. When the temp drops below 60, most Floridians become quite uncomfortable, the coats come out, and the heat is turned on. Weird thing is I keep the temp in my house between 76 and 79 year round, the only thing I change is the thermostat from heat to cool. But there is a huge difference between 76 indoors when it is 95 outdoors or when it is 40 outside.

Coldest I have ever had to endure was when I lived in Minnesota. Back in 1996 when we had temps below 30 with wind chills near minus 50. As long as you had your lock deicer, your emergency travel kit, food, with extra blankets in the car, you just kept on trucking.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I just remembered, when I was a child, there was no trash pickup. I lived in the country. We had compost and we had a burn heap.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I'd say the bright side is the government and financial guys who take us there won't survive long

Actually many of the people that I know for a fact would survive are part of the two groups you mentioned above.

It isn't about the profession a person is in, it is all about a person's adaptability and background experiences.

My dad was in the military, and then worked as a government worker as a civilian. If you looked at him, you would probably think he was meek government worker, and totally incapable of survival. Boy would you be wrong. He was a supreme survivalist and actually taught thousands of others. I'm not talking just playing camp out, we are talking months of survival in upstate New York, survival in the desert, etc.

My husband is in the tech/finance sector. He grew up very poor. Survival was basically his entire upbringing. He is also the hardest worker both mentally and physically I've ever known.

A friend of the family is as nerdy and techy and as "finance" as you can get. He was also an eagle scout, hikes and does survival exercises for fun.

It would be interesting to see who would make it out, in my opinion the people that would survive are the ones with a strong mind. I'm old enough to know that people will surprise you. Some people will crack with just a little stress in their life and others you can't knock down.

posted on Jan, 31 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I was thinking more along the lines of flabby business suit types who'd struggle to get the lid off a jar. Still, I take your point.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Truth is it is already here,things will escalate to a point of destruction,there is a good chance the world will be disintegrated burned up because of a weak magnetosphere hence the red sky

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

I first heard about the coming of global destruction from a weakened magnetosphere and a solar flare, back around 2001. They did say that persistent red skies would be a harbinger of the event.

Since then there was Planet X, Nibiru, and several other prophecies or theories about the Earth's inevitable destruction.

All the warnings have been ridiculed and more or less ignored. Which I think is a blessing. Can you imagine what would happen if people started to actually believe the end is nigh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join