It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Collapse - Trash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
We are in the middle of the eye of the polar vortex.

It is -19F real temp with a windchill of -44. We have not reached the worst part yet, but we are close.
It is cold, but it isn't too bad.
Three things have already have been disrupted, electricity for some, mail, and trash.

Trash is not something people normally think of. People in my neighborhood are going crazy because it hasn't been picked up in a few
days! Yes days, not even a week!

It's stuff like this that makes me think about what will happen if the shtf scenario.

Also, this is kinda funny but not funny. A neighbor that is not originally from this area didn't realize what snow, I mean a real snowstorm is.
She got trapped in her house and tried to call for someone to plow her driveway but they were all booked up. She obviously didn't want
to get cold shoveling or anything like that. These are going to be the first people that will have severe problems if anything ever happens in the US.!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

There are certain people that will be eaten very early in the zombie apocalypse...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Waste collectors are more important than police

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You mean your trash is normally picked up more often than every week? What do you take it the curb in each day? A small brown paper lunch bag? I'm trying to picture how much people must eat there in order to fill a bin or bag daily!!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Along the same lines - it shocks me when people's electricity goes out. I understand over time, it would be an issue for many people. However, the amount of complains about TV and internet is nuts. Grab a flashlight, a blanket, and play a board game.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here in the high desert Rockies we have public landfills and dumps if you want to take care of your own trash. $3 for a pickup load.

Sunny and 61 and a mile high....unseasonably warm, perfect with a 4ft base on the slopes.
edit on 30-1-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
At least nothing will rot in the trash when it is so cold.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

You mean your trash is normally picked up more often than every week? What do you take it the curb in each day? A small brown paper lunch bag? I'm trying to picture how much people must eat there in order to fill a bin or bag daily!!

In our neighborhood we have several different trash companies, some do twice a week, some do once a week.

This weeks normal pick up has not happened and people are freaking out.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Oh man!

Yes trash will become a near pandemic.
Ever played Tom Clancy's The Division?

A whole city, half buried under it's own trash, there's a scenario one can see in a simulated fashion by playing that game. Heck, just search YouTube for some vids and see. There's trash everywhere!

City services and private, won't be operating under emergency conditions, especially if the weather is restricting such.

Be glad it's a winter disruption in service, opposed to a July based one. Trash in midsummer heat, breeding bacteria and the bugs to spread them.

That will make for a horror show...
edit on 30-1-2019 by ADVISOR because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Save it. You may have to use it for insulation eventually.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
It is -19F real temp with a windchill of -44. We have not reached the worst part yet, but we are close.
It is cold, but it isn't too bad.

I beg to differ on your "not too bad" comment.

I don't even understand how those kind of temperatures could even be physically inhabitable... let alone being able to endure it, without constantly complaining about basically every single thing in the entire universe that inconveniences ya.

Coldest temperatures I personally ever remember enduring is like -5C (23F)... It was just horrible, it stings to even move and all your fingers go numb and feel like their going to drop off.

If I was forced to endure a temperature -28C, complaining about my trash not being picked up would be the least of it... Actually, it wouldn't even be "complaining", but more like a complete physical & mental meltdown.

Just sayin...

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

People will fight over the trash piles if it was 'total collapse time.' Fuel, insulation, building materials, containers, clothing and even bait for rat, cat and dog meat.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

23F is absolutely nothing here. A lot of people here love the cold, just love it.

When it is in the 30's many people wear shorts and no coat. We have very thick blood.
It was 0 yesterday and really did not feel bad, the sun was shining.

When I had lived in Florida I though the same thing about the heat. It took me 4 years to
be able to wear jeans, it was so so hot!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Just like Venezuela, and even Iraq...

Yeah, conflict zones, war zones and other contested hotspots all have a systematic collapse of infrastructure.

This is inherently an aspect of what doesn't work.

We see the examples, given to us by those who are suffering under corrupt parasite politicians or dictators even tyranny.

Fear, disparity and loss of hope for any help, drives down the social structure, via intentional collapse.

To know what I mean, read up on ClowardPiven & Alinsky.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gusamaso
Waste collectors are more important than police

I totally agree with this.
I give my trash guy a huge tip for Xmas. It is worth every cent.
People don't get it!

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
At least nothing will rot in the trash when it is so cold.

I lived in Florida and once during terrible storms trash was delayed.
Nasty beyond belief, maggots, the smell.. just gross

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Imagine the chaos and pandemonium if employers had to bring in payroll, pay in cash and people had to go to actual banks to deposit it.

Barbarism, 1970’s style.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
We were out and about today, it was a little cold but not too bad. I can see a garbage man not working all day in that kind of weather, or kids having to be outside for a half hour waiting for a bus freezing, but most of the places that have been closing do not need to be closing around here. If you work out in the elements all day, I can see not going to work on a real cold day. We used to work year round and I would call off work if the temperature was below five below all day. Sometimes we would go sit in the restaurant for two hours till it got over five below. Then we had to work a little harder that day but I would pay my worker for the time we spent drinking coffee in the morning if we did go work. You tend to keep moving then need a long coffee break after three hours and can go back to work for a few more hours before wrapping it up.

They should get heated suits for the garbage men so they can stay warm.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

A big part of what happened today was the semi trucks not running and if they did they took a big risk. Diesels trucks don't like this cold one bit. One semi was dead on a bridge right in the lane. They didn't deliver anything to work today for the most part. They canceled the second shift.

Driving home from work today another truck was dead right in the middle of the lane I was in. I didn't see many big rigs on the interstate. Normally you're passing one every mile or two. It was like a ghost town. It managed to get -33 below one time I looked. I heard it got to -41 at one time. I don't know what the wind chill was but the flags were stiff.

posted on Jan, 30 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Reminds me of a quote for the movie "Book of Eli". When he is asked what it was like before the wars, he said that people would throw away things that you would be killed for today.

Seems true enough when you consider that businesses will pad lock their dumpsters to keep garbage pickers out during these times. Also consider how in third world countries the poor people will mine the garbage dumps for the smallest scraps they can find. Imagine what that garbage would be worth in Eli's world. So much stuff gets tossed away without any regard to it's potential value in a severe SHTF situation. Too easy to throw things away and run to the store for more at the moment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join