It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube says it will crack down on recommending conspiracy videos

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
YouTube says it will crack down on recommending conspiracy videos

YouTube is making changes to its recommendation algorithm, which serves up new videos for users to watch, in an effort to crack down on the spread of conspiracy theories on its platform.

In a blog post on Friday, the Google-owned company said it would start reducing its recommendations of "borderline content" and videos that may misinform users in "harmful ways."

"Borderline content" includes videos featuring fake miracle cures for serious diseases, claiming the earth is flat and making blatantly false claims about historic events such as 9/11, according to the company. It did not provide further examples. Such content doesn't violate YouTube's community guidelines, but the company says it comes close.

YouTube has taken other steps to address conspiracy videos in the past. Last year, it announced it would begin displaying text boxes called "information cues," which link to Wikipedia and other third-party sources to discredit a hoax.

This is pure 1984 style level of Thought Censorship, they don't want you to question the government nor what really happend on 9/11. Even now on Youtube its already becoming harder to find videos on 9/11 conspiracy videos.

Because majority of the search results always lead to either to CNN, History channel. If you want to see the videos you would search through the en of the pages.

If anything this is pure censorship of free speech.
1984 Style of course CNN would be in favor of silencing free speech.
edit on 25-1-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
You sure this isnt like 10 years old? All my works have been neutered as such since shortly after Google bought out YouTube.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Unless you agree with the government regulating private corporations, they are free to do what they want.

If you don’t like it, make your own video hosting service and stop relying on other people to give you your freedom of speech. That’s how this whole thing is supposed to work anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

When the corporation is censoring content on behalf of the government then what?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Does this mean fewer threads with a few lines and long often boring YouTube videos occasionally in extremely annoying robotic voices?

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

When the corporation is censoring content on behalf of the government then what?

How does that effect you starting your own streaming service? I think people have gotten complacent to the point that they are relying on others to provide the venues for their free speech.

And that’s the big problem here. You will never have freedom of speech as long as you depend on others to provide it for you.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
That was the best part of YouTube. Going down rabbit holes.

Now I'm going to be recommended v loggers (kill me now) , and vine compilations.....

I swear, if I see another suggestion to watch Logan Paul videos........

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

How does that effect you starting your own streaming service

The Tech Valley will problary buy your streaming service as they now hold Netflix,YT. Capitalism hates competition

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

It's a conspiracy to end all conspiracies.

The rabbit hole just got meta.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

The Tech Valley will problary buy your streaming service as they now hold Netflix,YT. Capitalism hates competition

That’s up to you as a business owner. If you don’t agree with that, don’t sell out your ideals for money.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

That’s up to you as a business owner. If you don’t agree with that, don’t sell out your ideals for money.

Your other choice is to get throttled out our defunded- they own all advertising, too.

The internet is a real mess these days.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Now if you'll flip past the first chapter in your Basic Business book, the situation is 90% of content etc is owned by The Establishment and with that in place now it's set about censoring content that is critical of It.

Spare us the what if's and speak to the actual situation, yo.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Now if you'll flip past the first chapter in your Basic Business book, the situation is 90% of content etc is owned by The Establishment and with that in place now it's set about censoring content that is critical of It.

Spare us the what if's and speak to the actual situation, yo.

What am I speaking about if not the actual situation? If you don’t like what YouTube is doing, do something on your own.

YouTube isn’t some octopus-like corporation who controls what everyone can see and hear on the internet. They’re a company. Who only controls what’s on their site. At the end of the day no different from Walmart or a hundred other ones.

And you and everyone else has the ability to create your own. It strikes me as lazy to put your freedom of speech into others hands.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

It doesn't really hold well for the hardcore conservatives who claim youtube is some kind of progressive echo chamber, if their going to start censoring videos disputing the official 911 story.

I mean, It's always seemed more of a leftist conspiracy theory to me.

On the other hand... Flat earth, miracle cures and gay frogs... well that's all totally hardcore right wing conspiracy nonsense.

It just makes total sense that those Silicon Valley progressive types would be attempting to sensor that stuff.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Reading between the lines, this is just going to be them cracking down harder on "alternative" creators.

Going to do a big cleanup before 2020 gets much closer. Got to get rid of all those alternative news sources, those opinion(non left) channels and anything else that can derail the crazy train(dem 2020 ticket).

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

youtube will be replaced with something else soon. Everything that was wonderful about youtube has already been
taken away

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I guess one upside is Mark and Bill can start thinking about reinvigorating their commitment to this site and plan a real growth strategy...or exit.

There will be lots of people looking for a new home.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Unless you agree with the government regulating private corporations, they are free to do what they want.

If you don’t like it, make your own video hosting service and stop relying on other people to give you your freedom of speech. That’s how this whole thing is supposed to work anyway.

In an era of deplatforming this very kind of content, good luck with that. Let us know how that works out.
edit on 25-1-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

YouTube will be the new Myspace along with Facebook. Already FB stocks are dropping because they just found out to the public that 50% of its user are fake.

I have an account on Facebook but mostly post none political stuff. I have noticed a few trolls who aren't real. Most of my buddies on FB are from real life.

posted on Jan, 25 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Just use a different absolutely $$FREE video service which suggests conspiracy videos. Because they do so much good for society.

How did conspiracy theorists survive before 2007 or whenever YouTube was created...free to use, without forcing anyone to use it...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join