It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found The Balls Bluff Ruins - Pretty Cool Place.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark98SS
The coordinates shown in the OP takes me via Google Earth to someone's backyard in East Newark .

2nd

That's funny. Do you think the app didn't update the location coordinates because not good reception in the forest?

Now I know I can't rely on it in case I get lost LOL.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I don't have cable but will look for that episode online. Thanks !

edit on 4-1-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Trueman
Really interesting OP though, why some guy built a stone circle hundred odd years ago.
Saying that, when I get some land I'd love to build a circle with single standing stones, not cemented small stones, big ass local granite...no way that is in my budget yet though lol

That would be so cool. Maybe you can build your own observatory one day.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Really interesting OP though, why some guy built a stone circle hundred odd years ago.
Saying that, when I get some land I'd love to build a circle with single standing stones, not cemented small stones, big ass local granite...no way that is in my budget yet though lol

My own stone circle would be enough to make me happy...somewhere to camp, look at stars, pass on to my son

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Hey, I really (really!) appreciate you taking your time to make a thread about this.

I am also an amateur metal detector hobbyist, and like to visit little known local sites, but nothing I have found locally is as cool as that pillared stone circle you found. That is really neat, and maybe even will last another couple hundred years from now even still

The best I have found in the woods around here are a couple old small livestock damns built during WWII by the TVA (or similar 'New Deal' infrastructure project organization), and I located the foundation to and old blacksmith shop from the late 1800's. I didn'tactually metal detect that site, because it is protected, but verified it nonetheless !

edit on 4-1-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: needed to correct ... ugh ... grammar!!!

edit on 4-1-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: same again. ugh .. ugh!

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

My own stone circle would be enough to make me happy...somewhere to camp, look at stars, pass on to my son

I love the idea of passing that to your son. Man, that's nice.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

Thanks. I got other metal detecting threads here if you're interested. Isn't an amazing hobby ?

It's like redneck's archaeology....hahaha !

edit on 4-1-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It would be possible that if this was a picnic area, it was designed to be a seasonal one. The pillars could have been used to lash poles and a large circular canvas tent (very common a century ago) put up and have a fancy picnic amongst his wealthy friends.

Take out the trees and it may have just had the right view or some such. I am not saying it couldn't be something more, but usually urban legends err on the side of strange, and if all there is is a picnic story, it certainly fits with what wealthy people did at the time.

On a side note, I was once a landscape contractor specializing in rock walls, and features. Every time we put out a series of huge boulders, I thought about scientists 100s of years later speculating.

To give credence to the speculation side though, we did have an eccentric (unfortunately not rich) hippie lady in the PNW have us put up a forest "meditation sanctuary" including several monoliths and a "pyramid" . It was all about how she "felt" though and didn't have anything to do with alignment or stars. Should be fun for future scientists. We pulled one huge basalt monolith out of the quarry that looked just like a tall russian stacking doll. I called it "the guardian" and stood it up at the entrance to a small clearing.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

The name of the guy who built it was Philander Ball, I couldn't find anything about his life but this article from 2012 with inaccurate information (it mention only 8 pillars), seems like the view was different since those days.

In 1908 there were so few trees in the reservation that a stone-and-log shelter built on Ball’s Bluff offered a clear vista of the Orange Reservoir to the north, he said.

That somehow confirms it was built with an specific orientation anyway.

His father had the same name, so not sure which one built it. If it was the father, it mould make the place a bit older.

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 5-1-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I'm surprised the log structure rotted away, there are a couple of wooden framed barns near me that are over 200 years old.
I'd say this is still a scooby doo mystery

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

DUDE!!!

You have discovered the long lost and long fabled..."Jersey-Henge"!!!!

OMG!!

edit on 1/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

That is so cool, It must have been a thrill to find it.

I myself have found something odd, during my afternoon constitutional on the beach I stumbled upon a wooden...tent? the funny thing is that it was 'decorated' with brightly colored pieces of cloth, just like when a male bird of paradise makes a 'bachelor pad' to woo a mate.

Did I discover the nest of the legendary Harpy? obviously not but I like to think I did.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I just received this message! I believe it's meant for you!

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

edit on 1/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: Double Doom

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Doesn't he have to sacrifice a kitten or something as well?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You're right!

They sent that message right afterwards. I guess they forgot. They wanted me to thank you for reminding them.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

That is pretty cool. I remember one time in the army our company was tasked with walking through the woods looking for a lost girl. We came upon this old cemetery in the middle of nowhere. The oldest dated tombstone I found was in the late 1700s. This was in Kentucky.

You never know what you are going to find. You can find a lot of things along the river also.

Happy hunting !!

edit on 5-1-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

DUDE!!!

You have discovered the long lost and long fabled..."Jersey-Henge"!!!!

OMG!!

That's a good one...hahaha😀😀😀

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Thanks man. Well, I didn't discovered it at all. It's been there ignored by everyone around.
edit on 5-1-2019 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join