It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found The Balls Bluff Ruins - Pretty Cool Place.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Jesting aside, I think it's pretty cool! I S&F the OP!

I love finding weird stuff like this! Stuff which makes you scratch your head and wonder WTH????

Once me and a buddy snuck into this old abandoned powerhouse one time. This was in Wyoming. The place had been abandoned for like 70 years. When we got inside we were on a concrete slab above a really deep basement. Lots of us kids had been inside over the years, but everyone was too scared to go into the basement. Part of the reason was, there was a concrete stairway that went down, but there was no railing and it was DEEP! When you'd shine a light down it you could just barely see the bottom. Nobody was really sure how stable the stairs were because all the supports were missing too.

One day my buddy and I decided to give it a go (must have had a death-wish that day I guess). We got to the bottom and were in this cavernous basement. There was still some big machines down there (too big to steal for scrap we guessed). All hand riveted steel stuff (really old). This basement went on forever it seemed, it was much larger than the main floor above, so part of it was actually underground (above). We finally got to the end and there were these two giant circular openings in the far wall. They were about 10' feet in diameter and they went straight back as far as the eye could see under the mountain which was next to this power plant. We got inside one of these and walked as far back as we dared go into these tunnels. At first we thought maybe they were mine shaft entrances (there were some old coal mines in the area). However, the tunnels were just lined with concrete, like being in these giant storm drains. Plus, there were no signs of rail car / trolley tracks on the floor, so if they were mine shafts how would they have moved the coal?

Anyway, we walked back into the mountain about a quarter of a mile or so before finally chickening out.

Never did figure out what those tunnels were for. I came home from college one time and they had demolished the plant and I guess they blasted the tunnels in the process. No amount of researching local history ever led to much of an answer...and now they're gone forever.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I loved that story brother. That's the kind of stuff I used to do
when I was a kid too. I think that was our equivalent to surfing the web today.

I'm feeling so motivated right now by posts like yours that I'm already planning my next little adventure.

I was prepared to go to another location instead of this one but I need an special permit and couldn't get it yet. Now I have no regrets as you can imagine.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I reckon I'd feel spooked out at the place you went to in the woods

Probably because you saw Blair Witch.

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes
Haha yes!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join