It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook tracks Android users even if they don't have a Facebook account

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Facebook's data collecting practices have once again been called into question, after a new report revealed that it "routinely tracked" people who do not use the app. Privacy International analysed 34 apps on the Android mobile operating system with user bases of between 10 and 500 million.

The charity began the study after the scandal surrounding the now defunct London based political consultancy Cambridge Analytica, which was accused of improperly obtaining personal information on behalf of political clients and using it to influence the outcome of the US 2016 presidential election or the UK Brexit referendum.

Facebook tracks Android users even if they don't have a Facebook account

Here we have another corporation tracking us for their financial gain. I am sure they are also sharing the info with the government since the company was started with the help of the C**.

It is bad enough the government tracks and monitors everything but all these corporations doing it for financial gain is just too much.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I agree.

But yet, here we both are, online...being tracked.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I hate to say it but...no #....any time you see an option to log into an app with facebook, a built in option to share with facebook in an app pr website(this includes ATS) or anything else with that #in stupid blue F....not to mention any of the apps produced by companies facebook owns...(whatsapp, instagram) expect them to be tracking you. I don't even understand why this makes the news anymore. Is anyone really still unaware companies are constantly tracking things you do on the internet?

-Don't stay logged in on websites

-Clear your cookies or use private browsing sessions

-Use separate browsers for any sensitive stuff you need to do online

-Pay attention to the permissions apps ask for and don't grant anything until it needs to use it. Especially network access.

-Don't use google for searches

-i'd say don't use windows but i doubt that would be effective...honestly windows 10 is nothing but spyware

Also...to be honest...even your hardware is spying on you. Both intel and amd chips contain management engines that run on privilege ring -3 of your computer(a hypervisor runs on ring -2, your operating system kernel, whatever it is, runs on ring 0). They have full network stacks, full access to all hardware. They have their own power supply and can remotely power on and off your computer.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The Intel Management Engine (ME), also known as the Manageability Engine,[1][2] is an autonomous subsystem that has been incorporated in virtually all of Intel's processorchipsets since 2008.[3][4][1] The subsystem primarily consists of proprietary firmware running on a separate microprocessor that performs tasks during boot-up, while the computer is running, and while it is asleep.[5]As long as the chipset or SoC is connected to current (via battery or power supply), it continues to run even when the system is turned off.[6] Intel claims the ME is required to provide full performance.[7] Its exact workings[8] are largely undocumented[9] and its code is obfuscated using confidential huffman tables stored directly in hardware, so the firmware does not contain the information necessary to decode its contents.[10] Intel's main competitor AMD has incorporated the equivalent AMD Secure Technology (formally called Platform Security Processor) in virtually all of its post-2013 CPUs.[11]

Critics like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) and security expert Damien Zammit accused the ME of being a backdoor and a privacy concern.[13][4] Zammit stresses that the ME has full access to memory (without the parent CPU having any knowledge); has full access to the TCP/IP stack and can send and receive network packets independently of the operating system, thus bypassing its firewall.[12]

In the context of criticism of the Intel ME and AMD Secure Technology it has been pointed out that the NSA budget request for 2013 contained a Sigint Enabling Project with the goal to "Insert vulnerabilities into commercial encryption systems, IT systems, …" and it has been conjectured that Intel ME and AMD Secure Technology might be part of that programme.[89]

edit on 3/1/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Here we have another corporation tracking us for their financial gain. I am sure they are also sharing the info with the government since the company was started with the help of the C**.

Trying to jump start your thread since no one has replied for several hours. I've often heard this CIA/Facebook claim, but I've never seen it substantiated. Usually people will say something like, "So and so who is high up in Google has "ties" to the CIA!" What is a "tie" exactly? Does this mean like a Trump supporter talked to a Russian citizen, therefore Trump has "ties" to the Kremlin? Or is there something more substantial here?

It is bad enough the government tracks and monitors everything but all these corporations doing it for financial gain is just too much.

If you read the article it claims that third party app developers are using the Facebook's SDK to track the use of their software for their own purposes. It does not claim that Facebook is using this data and makes zero mention of exactly what this data is. I know lots of apps want to use your location data (You can turn it off easily enough) and it is pretty disconcerting to walk into a Trader Joe's and have Trip Advisor ask you for a review.

And sure, but what does any company do that is NOT "for financial gain." A store puts products on the shelf in hopes you will buy them. That's "for financial gain." I put a book on Amazon Kindle for 99 cents in hopes you will download it. That's "for financial gain." Even a non-profit NGO interrupts my dinner with a solicitation call to "help orphans" which probably doesn't "for financial gain." You go to work and collect a paycheck "for financial gain." There's nothing wrong with "financial gain." Another word for it is "economics."

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Yea, no way around it really unless you go live like the uni bomber did. May as well enjoy what you can

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I use Linux, DDG and do what I can. My browser clears everything every time I close it. Got to have a smart phone though. Have to drive around town and walk down the street. Unless you live off the grid with no internet, data is being complied on you.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Not trying to jump start anything. The other thread was not about Facebook. They were 2 different stories in the MSM. Is the MSM trying to jump start their stories?

Are your 99 cent books just full of pics you took off the internet from other people or did you actually create something to put in them?

Stared you anyway(not that you need it)

edit on 3-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

top topics

join