It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Successfully Tests New Avangard Hypersonic Missile

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This Avangard hypersonic glider is one of the main reasons why the EU is doomed to fail and will not manage to stick together , because the only reason it existed was to create a crusader's coalition of the willing to invade Russia.

None of the EU countries ever planned to have a real unified EU state. It was just temporary, to gather together an alliance of the willing ... the plan was also to demolish the EU later (after stealing siberian oil)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: zukli

Most hypersonic weapons of this type will be nuclear capable, but carry conventional warheads. There's already a largely unstoppable nuclear weapon in service called the ICBM. There are no systems out there capable of stopping more than a small handful of them.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Most hypersonic weapons of this type will be nuclear capable, but carry conventional warheads. There's already a largely unstoppable nuclear weapon in service called the ICBM. There are no systems out there capable of stopping more than a small handful of them.

ICBM follow a ballistic trajectory. Avangard is a glide bomb. Much more difficult to stop than an ICBM. Not only because it's fast, also because its path cannot be calculated by computer.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I'm well aware of the differences and their capabilities. That doesn't change the fact that there are no reliable anti missile systems that can stop more than a very small number of ICBMs. A boost- glide weapon is far more effective as a conventional missile for things like antiship missiles.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Getting real tired of "hypersonic" this and "quantum" that. ICBMs were mach 20 in the 60s. On a side note, Russia has a ridiculous amount of concurrent nuclear capable missiles. Logistical nightmare.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Brainlet

A hypersonic ballistic missile is radically different than what we're talking about here or in other programs. An atmospheric hypersonic program is significantly harder and more expensive.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No my post wasn't meant to say downplay the difficulties of in atmosphere hypersonics. I can see it coming off that way. I've been reading too many buzzwords lately, just getting jaded.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Avangard animation at 1:47. Looks like each missile carries 3 gliders.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chucha

Yes 3 glider, if used with medium-sized ICBM, such as the SS-19 Stiletto or the RS-24, but the Sarmat can carry more ... 6 or 9 I guess

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join