It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anime Sux

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

every hour @ 27-30 min mark ATS has a seizure.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Mad that you like something or did and now whining about the hours or time you've spent on it?

Consider the sand mandala... hours and hours, day upon day, week upon week... grain by grain an intricate masterpiece that as soon as it is completed? Poof blown or swept away.

Are any of the monks that worked arduously complaining? No. Seeing it as a futility of their time? No.

They see the entire thing from beginning to end as not only a teaching and practice; but direct access to one of the three marks of all existence: Impermanence.

People speak of how long and great civilizations are or were? Rome they say was not built in a day... only because a day is exactly how long it took to fall.

If one makes that impermanence that is not self as a self? That some how it or you are the same?

Suffering is of course without fail always going to be the result.

Want and desire are two different things the same could be said of need... however if any of those three were the same? There would be no word for the other two.

It is the silence that speaks at the volume almost deafening definition of those three words; that none of the three even need have ever been said; by human mouth or any other; as they only state a selfish condition.

All choices before you and in the past were yours; no matter whose intent was occurring at the time; saying voluntary or involuntary... such as the phrase "just doing my job" is also no excuse to ever harm another.

Take care

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Oooo like the CryNet Nanosuit?

intriguing.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BEBOG

Nah I'm just not a fan of the pedophile fantasy of lolis is all.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
From my understanding Japanese are sexually repressed. It is a cultural thing.

The loli (and other sexual) fantasies are simply a symptom of it imho.

Nonetheless there are a lot of animes out there not involving underage girls.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Then why come make a small thread and then cover it with the huge blanket you called "all anime".

The examples you list... still anime.

If you are hunting for similar anime? Not the repopulate ethnic Japan anime by any means necessary programming... then that's better thread to start.

Perhaps you just met with some negativity of some sort and trying to un-shrug it; has led to such a negative place.

Think of the movie where Denzel Washington's character that has been trying to kill the demon Azazel for several years.

That is exactly how negativity; or other hates large and small that have yet to cease in some being travel around and effect you and others.

Meditation will eventually see it... arise and pass arise and pass arise and pass over and over; in not only speech, but in body or action... by being carried in a mind, that only serves to poison one's heart over time.

Then a death and rebirth most foul rises again and again. Eventually, working one's way out of that... it cannot incarnate at those levels; so like the birth of the nine tailed fox? They start breeding it more and more, giving each other as kindred a sore tail... such is the nature of "asuras" not all of them bad... as the fox with nine tails has become very compassionate in allowing oneself to lose it and yet remain a fox that many times... one the path to purity in ceasing hate to be a guest in one's body, or speech... the mind becomes a stainless jewel and incorruptible. As most cannot even purify their own heart to what it was like as a small child in one life time.

Anyways, some of this may or may not be new to you as a certain kind of anime fan; so hey see the truth in it and what feels like philosophy? Eh, so be it. If more than that at some other point and time? Please place that reverence on your guru and NOT me.

Take care

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Ergo Proxy was amazing. My kids and I never missed an episode. The moment the subtitler's uploaded the newest episode, we were all over downloading it.

I'm also a huge Ghost Hunt fan and I loved xxxHolic.

But none of that dubbed stuff for me. They "westernize" the shows far too much in their attempt to dumb down the culture references for viewers. The only exception to this was Full Metal Alchemist. I loved both the dubbed and the original Japanese equally.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell when they were available in Germany, decades ago. Had enough of Anime after these two movies.
If i see anime stuff while switching the tv program, i always think:

Don´t nuke a country twice!

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I used to watch a lot of anime back in middle school and high school. Saw all of the classics and popular ones at the time.
Tried to get back into and just wanted to groan. Practically impossible to find any that are geared towards adults. Hell, even the ones that are labelled for mature audiences still center around school kids, high schoolers, # plots, underwear shots, cliched awkward relationships.

I still have a few people who try and recommend anime to me, but it really just makes me think about their maturity levels if this is the crap they watch. Don't even get me started on loli characters. They can be cute or whatever, but then you have the anime where they are portraying these young looking, naive, flat chested girls in mature situations(or worse) where you know the only reasons this kind of thing exists is for sweaty palm guys who are more into drawn girls than real women.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Nuh Uh

Yer the one that sux

Yeah.. I went there.

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Anime!

Yeah the Loli goes overboard these days. But really one can try to look past that and enjoy the characters.

How not to summon a demon lord had the Loli, yet was a lot of fun nevertheless. So was No game no life.

I forget the title, it is currently showing, where a fella is reincarnated as a "slime" in a fantasy world is a lot of fun too.

Out of the whole current season I've only found a few that I like.

And thanks everyone for posting some titles I can check out : )

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The fan service is what really spoils it for me but it does have it gems. Even though I ask what did I just see.

DB/Z(waiting for the new Brolly movie), FOTN, Akira, Princess Monoke, Evangelion, Fate(UBW) and few others that generally aren't in my tastes like Naruto or One Piece.

Thing is though there are so many different animes and alot just become generic due to other inspirations. Like Dragonball being the inspiration for Naruto even though Naruto well thought out, it has even more filler then DBZ.

Also alot them have to have sexually attractive(male or female) characters to get a fan base like Seven Deadly Sins, compared to the more influential ones like Berserk.( Who doesn't have a giant sword these days just because of seeing Gutts use one. I used one in Dark Souls)

edit on 19-12-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow
Oooo I have not heard of Ghost Hunt or xxxHolic. I will need to look them up. My daughter is a huge anime fan, though she seems to watch a lot of the ones with annoying babyish whiny characters that get on my nerves. I think Ergo Proxy has a dubbed version now too. Getting harder to find Space Adventure Cobra online for streaming these days. Always loved the music from that, Drive Driven being my favourite.

I don't mind dubbed as it lets me concentrate on the visuals more.

Have you ever seen the live action movie Gantz? Dunno if it is considered anime or not but it is a great and crazy adventure.

edit on 19-12-2018 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hmmmm. Interestingly enough, they never succeeded in luring me in at all. I knew anime sucked the instant I saw it. I never had a doubt.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Oh I don't know. I used to watch Marine Boy when I was young. It was ok.

originally posted by: Lysergic
I been watching it for the last 22 years.

Damn dude, you must be tired. That's a long time to watch the tv.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

Here's a few and a blend of genre, that you and others might like to check out, they are more; adult geared and story driven than exploitation:

Monster

Welcome to the NHK (actually a good one for learning about the gaming/anime industry and what the OP speaks of with the why of anime boobs; kinda funny because anime boobs used to mean that one guy or character as a trope found in most of them)

Galaxy Express 999

Virus

Gosick

Samurai Champloo

Mononoke (not the princess one)

BTW Mushishi came back for more for those that liked that but are unaware of it...

Oh yeah along the same lines as Mushishi, XXXaholic is a good series as mentioned... fans of that might really enjoy: Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits *it's a newer series, so I suggest going slow because binge watching will have you waiting impatiently for more.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

G'day BEBOG. Good taste there.

I have seen half of those and will look for others on nyaa dot si.

Gosick was wonderful and Mushishi I have seen the first season. Been meaning to buy the subsequent seasons on DVD.

A lot of folk knowledge finds it's was into anime and mushishi is no exception, interesting.

Gunslinger girl was an interesting series in it's day, and still available on DVD last time I went shopping for anime.

Oh and XXXholic was just a little too close to home for me to enjoy : (

edit on 20-12-2018 by Whatsthisthen because: corrected URL

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

I don't know if one would call it cool or interesting if one were to really closely look at the various universes and the over lapping themes that all of them are connected... like one large story even with some of the characters over lapping as one main character and yet in several that seem unconnected... the Bodhisatta sort of character; many seeming lives and yet the same person.

Like for instance xxxholic as you mentioned... the apprentice in it as the cook/schoolboy, the Welcome to the NHK younger fellow/mentor to the "otaku", and the Bleach Quincy character all really being the same person.

So the more you look at all three of those? The more one can see how they align; then see the other characters clearly... allowing more of those universes to combine like; Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Is the same character/person in Bleach known as captain Hitsugaya before he was at that level of training.

I could go on and on... but it's just the dance of the veil.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I see something similar with characters. The Japanese have their creation down to an artform. One can almost see the pieces that go together to make a certain character's personality. The tsundere, the yandere. Archetypes.

I have noticed too that the West in Disney goes for perfection in the character. Snow White the evil witch, prince charming. All perfect. Yet the East in amine blends perfection with imperfection. Rare is it to see a heroine without a flaw or a villain without a redeeming feature.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Is anime ‘Spirited Away’ and ‘Ponyo’?

If so then it’s cool.

I also watch Fist of The North Star and that was good. Oh, and Ghost in The (A?) Shell.

Maybe you are watching the wrong type? Or maybe I’m not talking about the same thing.

I have those two videos. Some of the best i've seen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join