It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Name Brand Pet Food Is Killing Your Pet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

I knew a guy years ago that ate dog food, he fried it up and shoveled it down, I bet he's still alive.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Raw chicken bones can splinter (be razor sharp) and kill your pet too, just thought I'd mention that.
I started my dog on a raw food diet until I came across a scarily sharp end of a chicken bone she was eating and thought "There's no way that is going in my dog!" and stopped the raw food diet then and there.

I do agree though that the majority of store bought dog food is crap.
I found organic was a good way for my mini Weiner now, along with boiled fish and chicken 👍🏻🐶
edit on 15-12-2018 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

My dog has major food and environmental allergies. Poor thing it's not his fault, the vet said its a mixture of the two breeds he is, Pekingese and Corgi. He now lives with grandma because it was best for him. However when I had him I made all of his food because it was better and cheaper! He could only eat fish and veggies. I would give him drops for vitamins in his food. In the beginning I spent so much money on specialty foods and it didn't work, it just bankrupt me! I finally decided to make his food and it made a huge difference! All the food in stores was full of crap and fillers and he always had problems. Now he's happy, healthy and getting want he needs. I still see him since he's with family.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: bill3kids

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: schuyler
No, my brand name food is not killing my pet. Just silly. But my ex fed his dogs all people food and they all died young and horrible deaths. Go figure.

Our vet specifically told us a raw food diet was bad for our dogs as it doesn’t provide all the necessary nutrients that dogs need. We use kibble and our dogs are complemented wherever they go on their super shiny coats and energy level. Additionally, their waste is just as it should be...firm, caterpillar like, slight to no odor.

The trick is to find the right nutrient balances in the food and watch the contaminants. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and cleanlabel.org are two great sites for determining healthy and low or contaminant free dog foods. Probably cat too, we just don’t have any.

Of course your Vet told you a raw food diet was bad for the dogs. The pet food companies sponsor the schools and provide ongoing courses / seminars throughout a vet's career. And he even sells their food in his clinic. Read the label and research what is in the food. Our Vet was selling the "good stuff" but after a few years, he started selling the "better stuff". I agree with the waste factor. Walking with dog friends that buy the inexpensive pet food at Walmart and seeing the load their guy puts out - its like 4 x as much for their over weight dog

I also wonder and have concerns about the heartworm and flea and tick treatments. What does that do to our dogs?

Nope, don’t use the vet sold food either. I actually use Walmart, but use the Pure Balance, which is a bit more expensive, yet way cheaper than Origen and some others. We had a 6-& yr old dog die of undiagnosed organ invasive cancer that I believe came from a mix of regular cheap dog food and occasional table scraps. Been a label researcher ever since and have changed brands immediately when hazards identified.

I was actually quite happy with Origen, even with the high cost, when it was 100% sourced in Canada, free ranch. Then they moved all sourcing to US and my current dog (just had one then) almost immediately showed signs of degraded food...allergies, dull coat, loose stool always. Been through about a half dozen brands since and it seems they start off okay, but then either get bought out or change processing once popular, decreasing quality. Hoping the Pure Balance works for a while!

Almost forgot - FDA researching the high dollar brands now for too many peas/legumes, which may be causing health problems (enough documented cases to get FDA involved). This was the report that changed us to a Pure Balance this last summer and makes me question all the grain free high dollar stuff, which is full of peas/lentils/potatoes.

www.fda.gov...
edit on 15/12/2018 by Lab4Us because: Added FDA link.

edit on 15/12/2018 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Lab4Us
The trick is to find the right nutrient balances in the food and watch the contaminants. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and cleanlabel.org are two great sites for determining healthy and low or contaminant free dog foods. Probably cat too, we just don’t have any.

I think you mean www.cleanlabelproject.org, the one you gave isn't an active site.

Yep, my bad, should have copied link instead of typing what I saw, lol.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I had one dog that we tried everything on, all the way up to the most expensive. Wet and dry food, gravy train, everything. The only thing he would eat was the cheapest, smelliest, most nasty canned food in the store: Cadillac 5 in 1. It cost $1 for 5 cans (maybe more now if they still sell it.) He loved this stuff, it kept him healthy. We had him 14 years until he ran away after some dog in heat. We never could find him again. He liked table scraps too.

Not really my dog.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What happens when you feed coffee to the dog.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join