It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Name Brand Pet Food Is Killing Your Pet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Because it's crap.
And don't tell me you pay $50-$100 per bag of some expert bullsh*t.
If you can afford that, you can afford meat and appropriate veggie/vitamin supplements.
It amazes me what people fall for!

I have an outdoor cat that's 18 years old. ("Sheegwa"... a runt kitty... see the cartoon) I started her on chicken because her fur was falling out. (Hyperthyroidism, i deduced) So, I stopped the kibble IMMEDIATELY and put her on an oven-roasted chicken diet. She BEGS for it constantly, LoL, and all her fur is back. It's all about nutrients, not name brands.

A simple experiment:

If you feed your dog/cat kibble or canned food, compare the feeling YOU get when you watch them devour an oven roasted chicken thigh. (minus the bone or feed the bone raw because cooked bones can splinter in your pets' stomachs, mind you) That thing will be gone in seconds, compared to that pitiful look they give you that means "THIS OLD SLOP AGAIN??!! =( "

I challenge you to give your babies REAL food for one month. What have you got to lose, a few trips to McDonald's? ;-)

(Chicken things, by the way, are cheap, meaty and have only one small bone. And they seem to be a cross between white and dark meat. I love them with buffalo wing sauce and mashed potatoes man!!! WOOOHOO!!!)

Ok, that's all, folks.
You know the drill. 'You do you,' as the kids say...

edit on 14-12-2018 by DeReK DaRkLy because: creative license

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DeReK DaRkLy

Cats get the bones. Its dogs that dont chew thoroughly, they inhale their food, and for them cooked chicken bones are trouble.

But they all need the guts and bones most of all because otherwise all they're getting is fat protein and such as creatine, but the nutrients are in the guts and bone marrow while the calcium in the bones is essential. Bones though you want to deliver it to them as soon as you're done eating or the bones quickly dry and become too hard, chicken bones & rib bones for example, they'll completely chew and devour these, but serve them fast or wrap them for them so they dont harden.

I always put down all the meat byproduct for them, and more, and hardly have to pour from the bag as long as real cooking is going on around here. 2 cats and 16 pound bag lasts months, although they get to hunt out there too. They're actually designed to eat the entire critters they catch, so the fur bones blood guts grizzle, all of it, or if its insects the entire shell and guts, or reptiles the scales and all.

edit on 14-12-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My longest living cat nailed the 24 year mark 4 years ago before dying of old age.

I had him since I was kid, his diet was a variety of kibble brands over the years, longest stretch was on Wysong. Never seemed to like the canned stuff much regardless of brand & quality, and he reallydidn't like meat much at all whether it was raw or cooked (other than raw livers, he'd snort them) He'd look at you dangling that chicken at him like, "The f#, human? I don't want that s#. Go away."

HIS thing was veggies. Carrots, green beans, corn, peas. Especially peas, that cat would go ape for peas.

But yeah, he didn't eat well and live to a ripe, very old age for a cat by any means I suppose, going by what you claim. Because the kibble.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
No, my brand name food is not killing my pet. Just silly. But my ex fed his dogs all people food and they all died young and horrible deaths. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
We only have a guinea pig.
Fortunately my wife is allergic to furry animals and just doesn't handle the pig much.

My dad, who would be 85 if he was around, always said dog food was a big waste of money.
They would have never bought special food for a dog.
Table scraps only.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

My German Shepard is now 16 years old, she has had a range of food from cheap brands to expensive and organic or healthy stuff that was given as a subscription gift thing (don't ask me) and she has enjoyed the cheap brands more than anything else. Not sure why but she would devour the cheaper stuff and tend to turn her nose up at the expensive stuff, think of that what you will.

I'll add that she is now an old girl, she is tired all the time, her hips are going and she (Sadly) had a seizure that lasted about twenty seconds (roughly) the other day, since then she has stuck with the cheap stuff although has enjoyed some liver, steak and boiled chicken. Sadly this is her last Christmas with us as the vets think her time is coming close but I'll say on the food part, her eating the cheap stuff and living what apparently is a longer life than most German Sheppard must say something about the cheap food.

(She also likes a bourbon biscuits now and then lol I know I shouldn't but still she's sixteen and most likely looking at her last few months so what harm can it do - she gets Kebab tomorrow, her second favourite food, gonna spoil her rotten).

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Since I was a kid I've always fed all of my pets Purina. All lived long and healthy lives. My current dog (2 years old) is healthy as can be, and my last dog who resides with the ex is 14 years old and also healthy as can be and both eat Purina. It's only $11 for a 20 pound bag. I can't imagine cooking for a pet. They are companions- and in the case of my dog an effective security alarm- but they are not people. I don't cook for my husband every day and I'll be damned if I cook for the dog!

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
No, my brand name food is not killing my pet. Just silly. But my ex fed his dogs all people food and they all died young and horrible deaths. Go figure.

Our vet specifically told us a raw food diet was bad for our dogs as it doesn’t provide all the necessary nutrients that dogs need. We use kibble and our dogs are complemented wherever they go on their super shiny coats and energy level. Additionally, their waste is just as it should be...firm, caterpillar like, slight to no odor.

The trick is to find the right nutrient balances in the food and watch the contaminants. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and cleanlabel.org are two great sites for determining healthy and low or contaminant free dog foods. Probably cat too, we just don’t have any.

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

I thought cats liked fish?? I have 2 cats (have had others over the years) and the one will not eat cat food moist or dry if it has fish in it...and he LOVES the canned food he will literally scream for it but not the fidhy one!
!!! we give dry most of the time

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
The trick is to find the right nutrient balances in the food and watch the contaminants. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and cleanlabel.org are two great sites for determining healthy and low or contaminant free dog foods. Probably cat too, we just don’t have any.

I think you mean www.cleanlabelproject.org, the one you gave isn't an active site.
edit on 12/14/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

My dog prefers soft tacos if you catch my drift....

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

originally posted by: schuyler

Our vet specifically told us a raw food diet was bad for our dogs as it doesn’t provide all the necessary nutrients that dogs need. We use kibble and our dogs are complemented wherever they go on their super shiny coats and energy level. Additionally, their waste is just as it should be...firm, caterpillar like, slight to no odor.

Of course your Vet told you a raw food diet was bad for the dogs. The pet food companies sponsor the schools and provide ongoing courses / seminars throughout a vet's career. And he even sells their food in his clinic. Read the label and research what is in the food. Our Vet was selling the "good stuff" but after a few years, he started selling the "better stuff". I agree with the waste factor. Walking with dog friends that buy the inexpensive pet food at Walmart and seeing the load their guy puts out - its like 4 x as much for their over weight dog

I also wonder and have concerns about the heartworm and flea and tick treatments. What does that do to our dogs?

posted on Dec, 14 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I have two cats, one is outdoor. I don’t know what his outdoor diet consists of, but he has the most luxurious silky, shiny fur.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hair falling out is hypothyroid, not hyperthyroid.

Our cats have always eaten kibble and we've had some cats that have lived to incredibly old ages and were super healthy. Not every pet reacts the same to diets. Just like humans.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I buy Rachel Ray Nutrish Peak dog food for my old dog. He is old though and has trouble chewing. So we also get those cheap 30 cents gravy packets in the grocer and make a jar of gravy to add a few spoons to the bowl every meal. I shake it up so its soaked well and give it like fifteen seconds in the microwave. he devours it.

We do also make rice with him in mind. He always gets a quarter cup of rice with his food. For some reason the bastard loves cheese. He has been stealing my youngest sons cheese slices lately.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I have my favorite - Chinese Crested Dog named Confucius. He will soon be 13 years old. I always feed him meat, meat cuts and canned chickens along with buckwheat and rice. The dog is very cheerful, active and healthy, despite the fact that my wife castrated him (my eternal pain)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

In Russia pet just eat lemming and drink vodka.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

In Russia pet just eat lemming and drink vodka.

And pets sleep in personal nuclear reactors in an embrace with bears playing the balalaika)))

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

In Russia pet multiply like matryoshka doll.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

In Russia pet multiply like matryoshka doll.

In my case - like a Chinese matryoshka doll)))

top topics

<<   2 >>

join