It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting to wonder if we are underestimating Theresa May

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
It's a treaty. Treaties are the international version of contracts. So the whole structure of international law is based on the assumption that nations won't cancel treaties unilaterally, just as ordinary commercial law would break down if people could cancel contracts unilaterally. I would love them to cancel membership of the EU by royal proclamation, but the international ructions would not be worth it.

edit on 11-12-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because it's a constitutional and legal matter, pretty much all of society has to undergo a mass overhaul in the event of no deal - there is no contigency plan for police, army, intelligence, food, agriculture, medicine, science, technology, education etc... in the event of no deal.

It may have been an option 18 months ago but a complete failure for government means we're up # creek without a paddle with everywhere but the south of the UK facing economic collapse.
edit on 11-12-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion
Economic collapse is a bit drama queenish don't ya think?
You don't know any of that doom will happen, you just believe the fear mongering. Pundits also predict it will not be so bad with no deal, I'm at least honest and on the fence because I admit I don't know, but you present your opinions as fact.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I would love them to cancel membership of the EU by royal proclamation, but the international ructions would not be worth it.
Haha! That would be priceless!
Be a brilliant two fingers to the EU as well, but as you say, that would cause chaos.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
According to everything I have read so far on this since I came back from a desperately needed holiday, May has managed to create the unique situation of uniting everyone against her. The vote has been kicked down the road because it became blatantly obvious that she was going to lose it - and lose it very, very badly.
We have been trying to deal with Brexit for more than two years now. It's the most divisive, complicated (there are numerous treaties and other international arrangements that will need to be amended, plus we have legal and financial obligations as a member of the EU that must be met if we are to have a hope in hell of dealing with Europe in the future) and above all confusing problem that any UK Government has faced in living memory.
The financial implications are scary. This will impact the economy, which is fragile enough as it is after years of austerity, the only question being how bad the impact will be. By the way, the moment that Boris Johnson said 'F*ck business' after hearing about more worries from the business community about Brexit, he killed off the remaining fragile dregs of a chance of him ever being PM.
We have no idea if May will survive the week, let alone the year. The only remaining solace that she has is that no-one wants her job. Well, no-one sane that is.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
We have no idea if May will survive the week, let alone the year. The only remaining solace that she has is that no-one wants her job. Well, no-one sane that is.
Politically the UK is in a right mess isn't it. No idea who could be PM even next week, snap election possibility, a proper mess.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I just want Brexit to be over so I stop hearing about it.
and also to see Theresa replaced as PM.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
Politically the UK is in a right mess isn't it. No idea who could be PM even next week, snap election possibility, a proper mess.

I couldn't agree more with this. It's interesting but It's nowhere as near interesting as it is scary.....

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

Her game "May" well be simply to play for time to sort out the backhanders required to get her vote through.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Lets not forget many if not most of the European states of real power still have Monarchies.

In an ocean of crap this is the biggest single turd I've seen.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
So you are saying that the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden are not monarchies? That's 25% of the EU. Those states also represent much of the real power of Europe financially and politically.

I know I know, your societie's are the only exception where the wealthiest families do not actually retain heavy influence over the domestic and foreign policy of their respective states. Only CEO's and boards of directors are capable of such clandestine shadow rule. The royals are Noble and just! They are simply around as a demonstration of the standard of manners and civility and would never, could ever, or have ever actually exerted their influence.

The British royalty are exactly the same as the Bush's, Koch brothers, Rockefeller, Carnegie, in regards to rich families a d their undue authority over aspects and agencies within the government. So are the other six monarchies.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
She's delayed the vote because she knows that it would never have passed I don't think it had anything to do with a attempt to prevent the second referendum.

Now despite saying that I must say I do admire her, I admire her because she is doing a job right now that nobody else wants to do and she is in a very difficult position and I do think we have underestimated her in regards to her resilience.

But, no this won't stop the peoples vote.

It is true that time is running out however I expect that it could be possible that the government (probably not mays government) could ask the EU to delay the article 50 deadline pending a peoples vote. I think that the EU would be open to that because they just don't want the UK to leave.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
She's delayed the vote because she knows that it would never have passed I don't think it had anything to do with a attempt to prevent the second referendum.

Why did it take her so long to realise that, that was a given from the very

beginning.

She as the head of a member country was deliberately humiliated by the EU

and she went back cap in hand begging. (a word used by reporters today)

A second referendum would probably be unconstitutional. More so by the fact

that the first one hadn't even been implemented.

Now despite saying that I must say I do admire her, I admire her because she is doing a job right now that nobody else wants to do and she is in a very difficult position and I do think we have underestimated her in regards to her resilience.

She'd been waiting for that job, if I remember correctly she was quite tenatious

in acquiring it, and if the media are to be believed there are at least four jostling

to oust her and take over. Regarding resilience most people know when to stop

flogging a dead horse.

But, no this won't stop the peoples vote.

Which vote is this? The 'meaningful' one result was leave ..... not which deal.

It is true that time is running out however I expect that it could be possible that the government (probably not mays government) could ask the EU to delay the article 50 deadline pending a peoples vote. I think that the EU would be open to that

The EU has the UK by the short and curlies..... and have no intention of conceding

because we are being made an example of for any other country daring to think of

doing the same

they just don't want the UK to leave.

That was the UK's best negotiating card ...... never used.

posted on Dec, 11 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This May( pun intended) boil down to that kind of scam sounding backstop.

It’s no way to get out this. She has to get an assurance from the EU to end the backstop in a reasonable time, that’s all she’s trying to get

The revenge of Ireland!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join