It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Best VPN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have been comparing VPN's today and about to pull the trigger on Tunnel Bear. I have used Keep Solid in the past and it was Ok but am just wondering what members think as to what is the best and most affordable. A dollar a month is no big deal if there is a service that provides quality over price.

I have also looked at Private Internet Access for $1 less than Tunnel Bear at $5.00 a month but, even though it is rated #1 by www.lifewire.com... , I find most on line evaluations are subject to payola by the services they are recommending.

Is Tunnel Bear as good as any or is there a better service for the price out there?

PS; Is there a need to continue a virus program like Norton Internet Security if using a VPN?
edit on 6-12-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Good question. I have wondered this as well because I use a firestick .

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

I have used PIA now for about 2 years,never a problem and it seems to do the trick!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Are there any free ones out there?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I've used Nordvpn for over a year and it's amazing. Not free but you can buy a 3 year subscription that is reasonable and it's genuinely able to geo spoof the big dogs like Netflix.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   

This would depend on your needs with a VPN. If you need speed and variable options, say streaming 4K without being throttled by your ISP, then I would recommend IPVanish or NordVPN in those order.

If you only need security, one of those top two options listed in the OP would suit your needs, PIA is great too.

Also keep in mind that if you are streaming with an android box or stick etc. make sure it has enough processing power to support the VPN while supporting the stream. A firestick does not have the processing power or memory to handle high bandwidth streams while using a VPN through KODI or other options but will work great with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. You will need something like a Shield or dedicated system to reliably stream 4K and use a high speed VPN without buffering problems.

There are other factors like making sure your gateway/router/modem does not have a PUMA chip from Intel, Broadcom modems are much more reliable and will not drop connections. Never forget about internet security, use an antivirus program and the firewalls on your network. Plan on having at least 6 mbps per device connected to the network and aim for 12-18+ for each if they will be streaming and using bandwidth. We use 250+ and can stream 4K HDR on multiple devices, online gaming and downloading programs with no problem.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i use IP vanish on my android box

check it out

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

Considering that I am on a satellite internet with limited bandwidth, my main concern is security. If I were on an unlimited provider I might consider video downloads but it's just not practical via a limited satellite system.

Regardless, the information you provided is definitely informative and myself and I'm sure others will find it educational.

I'm going to look at all of the mentioned possibilities before I pull the trigger on Tunnel Bear.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

That is good to know, if you are using satellite internet it may limit your VPN options. Make sure you find one that is compatible with with your provider. Some VPN services will not work with satellite internet plus they may slow you down a bit.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Don't know what the hell happened but downloaded Tunnel Bear on my desktop and android phone. Also downloaded PIA on my desktop but didn't activate it yet. Went to my Acer Chrome book a while ago and I'm locked out and now having to log in using a Google account that I never set up on it. Don't know what the hell happened there. Before, it was just my login name and password. Flucking sheat!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

My desktop and phone seems to be working fine but I have started having login problems on my chrome book now that I didn't even download and install any VPN software on. I guess I'll have to create a google account before I can even get into it again to try to find out what is going on with it. Problems, problems...

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
PIA here, been using it for years with no problems or complaints.a reply to: CharlesT

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The Best Free VPNs of 2018
Can't afford a premium VPN? That's no reason to leave your network traffic unprotected. Here's everything you need to know about what you get (and don't) with the best free VPN services.
www.pcmag.com...

edit on 7-12-2018 by skybandit because: link

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I have been using IPVanish for a while and it works well. I did recently hear about one from Avast that is part of their security suite. Overall I believe it would be cheaper to use that than a separate security suite and pay for IPVanish. The only thing is I am not too familiar with the Avast vpn or its reputation yet.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The best VPN of 2019 is ExpressVPN. Check out some features of it,

O) Number of IP addresses: 30,000

O) Number of servers: 3,000+

O) Number of server locations: 160

O) Country/Jurisdiction: British Virgin Islands
94+ countries

O) 3 months Free with a 1-year plan

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The best VPN of 2019 is ExpressVPN. Check out some features of it,

O) Number of IP addresses: 30,000

O) Number of servers: 3,000+

O) Number of server locations: 160

O) Country/Jurisdiction: British Virgin Islands
94+ countries

O) 3 months Free with a 1-year plan
edit on 21-5-2019 by nathandevvv because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2019 by nathandevvv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I've used Nord and Express and opted to NordVPN for the pricing. I do find some servers on Nord a little inconsistent at times but it's very few and far between. The other bonus is NordVPN has been jamming it with new features often and now I have an incredibly intuitive, feature-rich and efficient VPN. Best and Cheapest thevpn.guru... I already used PIA, and Cyberghost, they don't compare to NordVPN.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Habanavee
I've used Nord and Express and opted to NordVPN for the pricing. I do find some servers on Nord a little inconsistent at times but it's very few and far between. The other bonus is NordVPN has been jamming it with new features often and now I have an incredibly intuitive, feature-rich and efficient VPN. Best and Cheapest thevpn.guru... I already used PIA, and Cyberghost, they don't compare to NordVPN.

Something to be aware of with NordVPN is their recently announced data breach :

techcrunch.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join