It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now, they're coming for our music!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
So a radio station received negative feed back about the song - Baby its Cold Outside and have decided to stop playing it as to not offend the 'easily offended'

star102cleveland.radio.com...

Now, I do realize that when the song was written in 1944, it was a different time, but now while reading it, it seems very manipulative and wrong. The world we live in is extra sensitive now, and people get easily offended, but in a world where #MeToo has finally given women the voice they deserve, the song has no place.

Baby its cold outside..

I had to google the song myself.. so a radio station has removed a time honoured Christmas song because people complained it was not fair towards the woman in the song..

talk about dangerous...

.. i think we should probably go a step further, any man whom owns a cd with that song is actively promoting a rape culture and he should be publicly shamed before he is allowed to speak. Its the only way we can teach tomorrows generation how to behave

whats next, Bruce Springstein - Fire?

I'm ridin' in your car
You turn on the radio
You're pullin' me close
I just say no
I say I don't like it
But you know I'm a liar
'Cause when we kiss, ooh Fire
Late at night
You're takin' me home
You say you want to stay
I say I want to be alone
I say I don't love you
But you know I'm a liar
'Cause when we kiss, ooh Fire
You had a hold on me right from the start
A grip so tight I couldn't tear it apart
My nerves all jumpin', actin' like a fool
Well, your kisses they burn, but my heart stays cool

edit on 3/12/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/12/18 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Wrong Fire, friend, that one's the Pointer Sisters. And since it's women singing it I'm sure it's not considered inappropriate. I think your thinking of "I'm On Fire", which to me has always been rather creepy.
edit on 3-12-2018 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Don't use I'm a white man or I'm an Asian man or I'm a black man in marketing this days.

link   
I always disliked that song.

+35 more 
link   
Not an american and I definitely don't get this:

Songs about f***ing lots of b****es, robbing, murdering, harassing, being racist etc are perfectly safe from feminist / offended people's scrutiny, while christmas songs are suddenly not safe?

Modern liberalism is a mental issue.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Not an american and I definitely don't get this:

Songs about f***ing lots of b****es, robbing, murdering, harassing, being racist etc are perfectly safe from feminist / offended people's scrutiny, while christmas songs are suddenly not safe?

Modern liberalism is a mental issue.

The whole world is becoming a mental issue.
Just look at the children using smart phones these days while riding their bicycles.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tjack

Wrong Fire, friend, that one's the Pointer Sisters. And since it's women singing it I'm sure it's not considered inappropriate. I think your thinking of "I'm On Fire", which to me has always been rather creepy.

yep you are spot on, thanks!

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think their are 20 or 30 threads on this. You can have Christmas music. But you touch Ozzy and we got probs

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Well last friday night Katy perry got blind drunk.
Then she....

Woke up with a stranger,,, did he rape her?
Had a 3 way,, did she participate in a rape?
Ripped her party dress,, did kavanaugh do it?

The girl in this song wasnt being raped.
She was katy Perried.....
Choices were made...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
So a radio station received negative feed back about the song - Baby its Cold Outside and have decided to stop playing it as to not offend the 'easily offended'

I have a James Taylor version on a nice Christmas cd. I'm not one of the 'easily offended'...but I do have a sense of propriety and I think it's kinda creepy.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Music is a creative and artist endeavor, the words are lyrical poetry. The lyrics are also a form of speech that is a first amendment right. Unfortunately that amendment only prevents the government from making laws against free speech, it doesn't necessarily prevent any group from imposing their will upon the general public.

The PC crowd shames a radio station for playing a song that they think implies male against female sexual harassment/assault. I could get that impression of this song if it was played by a death metal or hardcore punk band, but Dean Martin? It seems pretty innocent when he does it.

I don't think the subject of that song is about a man forcing a woman to have sex, more like a guy looking to have a gal stay the night and using the weather as a lame excuse. The woman obviously had a choice based on how she was thinking about it. It wasn't like "Oh my God! He's forcing himself on me! I'm about to be raped!" Give me a break, that song is no big deal.
edit on 3-12-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Best 2 Christmas songs are....
Johnny Lee Hooker's I Got the Blues for Christmas
ACDC. Mistress for Christmas.

Everything else is boring.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

The ONLY Christmas song I willingly listen to;

edit on 3/12/18 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: tjack

Springteen wrote "Fire"...before Pointer Sisters recorded it.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm tired of the easily offended. Next thing you know, they'll demand that football man stand for the anthem.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Load of rubbish , just ban governments , job done !

So they are banning it because its offensive to women ?

totally ridiculous , you'd be hard pressed to find a man who will complain about the multitude of songs where female singers hate on men!

absolute rubbish

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
In the words of Clutch...

‘What rabid religion poisons their minds?”

“What measure of madness governs their time?”

While not spelled out in the song, obviously the left and their censorship beliefs. 1984 is closer than we think...

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Wasn't this song originally written and sang by a married couple? I mean sure if you take this far out of context you can find something to get offended about.

en.wikipedia.org...

Loesser wrote the song for his wife and himself to perform at parties. He sold the song to MGM, which used it for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. It was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán and won the Academy Award. Since 1949 it has been covered by many singers, including Ray Charles, Michael Bublé, Sir Tom Jones, and Dolly Parton.

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seiko
Wasn't this song originally written and sang by a married couple? I mean sure if you take this far out of context you can find something to get offended about.

en.wikipedia.org...

Loesser wrote the song for his wife and himself to perform at parties. He sold the song to MGM, which used it for the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. It was sung by Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán and won the Academy Award. Since 1949 it has been covered by many singers, including Ray Charles, Michael Bublé, Sir Tom Jones, and Dolly Parton.

Excellent! Thanks for bringing facts to the discussion. Now if the censoring radio station will ever see it and realize the error if their ways?

posted on Dec, 3 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Meanwhile even tame rap is full of violence against women, worship of materialism, glorifies random killings, promotes drug and alcohol abuse but that's ok.

double standard much?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join