It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Finds Strange Shiny Object.

page: 1,
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is interesting.

The Mars Rover has found a strange shiny object on the Mars Surface.

NASA think they may have an idea what it could be, but they are prepared to be surprised.

Nasa has spotted a strange, shiny object lying on the Martian surface. The planet is largely red, dusty and bland, meaning that anything unusual stands out.

The latest discovery is one such object: a shiny lump that is visible on the surface. Now the team behind the Curiosity rover intends to have a proper look at the object, in the hope of finding out what it is.

Though they have their suspicions, they are ready to be surprised.

www.independent.co.uk...

Intriguing indeed.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The guess is a meteorite, per the article.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They can fly to Mars...... astounding. They can land intact, incredible. But can they take a pic that doesn't look like it's been taken from the bottom of a swimming pool with a 1960's Kodak instamatic ?

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This first picture, taken within moments of landing, was with the dust cover on the camera to protect against the dust thrown up by landing. Once the dust covers came off, the pictures were much better. But by posting this picture, it gives you something to criticize.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Maybe that's why Elon Musk will succeed and NASA will not

I love space and astronomy, I've had several telescopes and astronomical binoculars.

I guess the barely marginal photos are ........... job security... at least till someone gets something clear.
edit on 1-12-2018 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Those who can't, criticize.

Elon, first stoner to Mars.
edit on 12/1/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I had trouble finding the pic in question --- even after a whole 20 sec of clicking links, heh.

Any chance some intrepid soul will post it? If it's been done while writing , or will be, then thanks from all of us idjits.

If it was the pic in the second vid lead-in, I'd think the saw toothed strip above the shiny rock would garner more interest, actually. Pretty fast for the first exchange of "artificial/biological" vs "awww it's just a rock, dumbies."

Let the FTL gatekeeping and image blurring begin! Heh.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Link to Gizmodo article on the shiny rock.

Direct link to the shiny rock.
Shiny Rock on Mars

edit on 12/1/2018 by Krakatoa because: added story link

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   
@ 1:03 the picture in question is shown. There are a couple lighter stones ( ? ) or whatever we are seeing.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Link to Gizmodo article on the shiny rock.

Direct link to the shiny rock.
Shiny Rock on Mars

LOL, the Lost Dutchman gold ?

Serious, now those are acceptable pictures with relative clarity.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Maybe that's why Elon Musk will succeed and NASA will not

How can you be serious? NASA has already succeeded on Mars and Elon Musk has not. NASA has now 18 successful Mars missions and 5 failures. 5 missions are currently operational. Elon has said he'd like to go there and even die there, but not on impact. By any objective measure NASA has already succeeded and Musk has not. (P.S. I love Elon Musk.)

I love space and astronomy, I've had several telescopes and astronomical binoculars.

That's nice.

I guess the barely marginal photos are ........... job security... at least till someone gets something clear.

It has zero to do with job security. They already have something clear. You just haven't seen it yet. Besides, this probe is not designed to take vast quantities of pictures. It's a stationary lander designed to study the interior of Mars. Insight is basically a seismometer. It also has a heat flow monitor, a weather monitor that will provide real-time weather reports, and several other instruments designed to explore the interior structure of Mars itself. The cameras on board (two of them) are designed as instrument deployment cameras. They're not designed to provide pretty pictures for you to critique, but to observe the robot arms and the surrounding territory where the instruments will be set up. They are designed to observe the probe itself rather than the Martian landscape. Naturally they are unlikely to live up to your high standards of landscape photography.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Ahh... Thanks for clarifying that for me. Rock paintings and Petroglyphs are usually clearer. Yea, had some cool teli's, got most of them at *Dollar General* lol.

A 13" mirror Dobsonian and two different 80mm Refractor, one 60 mm refractor , belonged to the Temecula Valley Astronomy Club (Ca.) and have seen every planet except Pluto. The club used to come to my property due to the excellent lack of light pollution. Still I'm just an amature.

At any rate, I'm keen to see something of substance, since you, me and 325 million Americans are paying the tab.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
This first picture, taken within moments of landing, was with the dust cover on the camera to protect against the dust thrown up by landing. Once the dust covers came off, the pictures were much better. But by posting this picture, it gives you something to criticize.

No.... it gives me a sense of disappointment. After all this time since Sputnik that we still must back it all with less than accurate pictures and agenda's

I would like to see this mysterious object identified, and pursue further investigation. Along with Mars as our goal in the next decade. Actually go there. I'm sure there are no shortage of volunteers.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The pictures are only being taken on a different planet and transmitted a 140 million miles.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
Here's a picture.

The upper part appears to resemble a key.
I think the sand partially obscures that object which gives the impression that it's serrated.
edit on 12/1/2018 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the rock is that it looked like slag.

Still pretty cool nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
They can fly to Mars...... astounding. They can land intact, incredible. But can they take a pic that doesn't look like it's been taken from the bottom of a swimming pool with a 1960's Kodak instamatic ?

Why don't you show us a picture actually taken from the bottom of a swimming pool with a 1960's Kodak instamatic if you can' stfu.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Doesn't it look like high order detonated aluminum...?

Hail yes it does.....it's smallish huh?! Maybe 3/8inch long.....or so

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
There's a colour image from the Mastcam, and it doesn't look as shiny there: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

The three white dots on the rock are from the ChemCam using it laser to analyse the chemical composition.

I've merged the ChemCam and Mastcam images:

If it's not a piece of a meteorite, it might be some sort of mineral concretion.
edit on 2-12-2018 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
NASA finds something interesting.

Tells the world it has found something interesting.

Bunch of amateur blowhards complain NASA doesn't tell them anything interesting.

Standard.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join