It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the #METoo movement actually help women?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
What exactly does METoo do?

Does it stop a bad person from assaulting a woman?

www.yahoo.com...
A big #MeToo moment against gender-based assault

I get it, it has raised awareness, but has it actually helped one woman from becoming a victim?
Has it helped after a woman is victimized? Did a predator read a tweet and rethink assaulting someone?

“Everybody thinks some massive, massive change in laws has happened with the #MeToo movement. But it hasn’t,”

www.usatoday.com...

I think we need a new movement that actually does something called #NOTMe
One where people know how to defend themselves. Yes that also means conceal carry.
Yes that means, more self defense starting at middle school. Maybe, that would also help with bullying issues.

I also think this whole movement is very sexist. I have a sneaking suspicion that just as many men/boys, have been assaulted (maybe even more than women). It is just not talked about other than church scandals.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I agree with what you are saying, but I do think it has helped people. I think a lot of people spoke out about previous abuse that they did not have the courage to do before. I know a couple people who "came out". I don't think it has prevented many if any assaults.

I think what started as a good intentioned movement, turned into a man hating #storm . Men can absolutely fall victim to the same experiences the metoo movement claims to defend against. Look at the Catholic Church.

Do they not teach self defense in school anymore? They did when I was young, but I don't have children so I am out of the loop on that.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

They helped pay the legal fees of a friend of mine that was attacked.

This lead to that criminal being put away were he couldn't hurt anyone else.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

They helped pay the legal fees of a friend of mine that was attacked.

This lead to that criminal being put away were he couldn't hurt anyone else.

Who helped? The Metoo movement? Is there an organized place where victims go seeking help. (i'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely curious)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I think it meant well, but the acceptance of patently false accusations and the adoption of "must believe any and all women" as if it is not a known issue that there are unscrupulous women who wrap themselves in fake victimhood as either an act of vengeance or an act of convenience has sunk the movement and done a disservice to actual victims of abuse.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wouldn’t that have happened anyway following the correct channels of the law?
Did they provide money for a really good lawyer or something?

*cants hurt anyone else besides those in the jail with them for the length of their sentence*
a reply to: scraedtosleep

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I get it, it has raised awareness, but has it actually helped one woman from becoming a victim?

The right thing to do is ask.
You might get a few women ats members that were helped in this way. Even if you don't it doesn't mean they are not out there. Just got to keep asking.

The metoo movement is a feeling that has been building in the american psyche for a long time now. It's not going to end any time soon.

Did a predator read a tweet and rethink assaulting someone?

Has the metoo movement made a few predators rethink their actions. I think, for sure, yes.

It's a lot scarier to do something if everyone is watching for it and talking about it don't you think?

“Everybody thinks some massive, massive change in laws has happened with the #MeToo movement. But it hasn’t,

I don't think that. I don't know anyone that thinks this. What a strange thing to say.

The metoo movement is a social movement. The change is in our social interactions with each other. As far as I know metoo wasn't going after any specific laws?

edit on 26-11-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

I think what started as a good intentioned movement, turned into a man hating #storm

Unfortunately with any movement once enough people have joined there will tend to be bad apples. And in our country bad apples can make a very loud voice. So loud that we mistakenly associate entire movements with them.

Plus SOME of the man hating stuff is just propaganda.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

“Everybody thinks some massive, massive change in laws has happened with the #MeToo movement. But it hasn’t, I don't think that. I don't know anyone that thinks this. What a strange thing to say. The metoo movement is a social movement. The change is in our social interactions with each other. As far as I know metoo wasn't going after any specific laws?

Those aren't my words, those are from the article www.usatoday.com...

If you read the article it pretty much says there was a lot of talk but not much action. It seems a lot of people expect it to be more than a social movement into something more concrete, which hasn't happened.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
YES!

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I think we need a new movement that actually does something called #NOTMe One where people know how to defend themselves. Yes that also means conceal carry.

I highly doubt more people conceal carrying would make much difference, since true sexual predators tend to zone in on the vulnerable who wouldn't have pulled the trigger anyway, then leave the rest alone... Kind of like a starving lion, who will only attempt to attack the wounded, sick or very young.

I do think this Metoo movement has probably made a lot of power tripping individuals who prey on vulnerable people think twice though... I mean, when they see all these hollywood (apparently) untouchable superstars going down for something they did 20 years ago, it's gotta at least make them stop and ponder.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

She was afraid to talk .
It was more about finding the courage then about the money.
You might be surprised by the number of victims who are afraid to do anything about it alone.

But yes a more expensive lawyer not just some state appointed public defender is better. That is an unfortunate reality of our country.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

One where people know how to defend themselves.

That would be awesome.
Your hashtag is catchy too and would actually go hand in hand with metoo.
No joke. Learning martial arts is one of the best ways for a victim to get back their self esteem . I know that from experience.

#notme

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Those aren't my words

lol I did read it and I know this. lol

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

While we're on the topic, let's discuss the hashtag thing at play with MeToo. Prior to 10 years ago, # was called a "pound" symbol. "Hashtag" was pulled out of the spectral mist by Twitter a year or two after the platform launched. That means, for many over the age of 30 and anyone not tech savvy, #MeToo caused the initial confusion of looking like PoundMeToo... which is not the message that was intended to be sent by a group of females distressed over sexual harassment.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

lol, it's not funny, but it's funny.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

PoundMeToo

Damn you sir! I was drinking water when I read that. lmao.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You are correct sir.

The first time I heard about # me too I thought it was a joke.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

You are correct sir.

The first time I heard about # me too I thought it was a joke.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I have never understood how raising awareness does anything for anyone. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to know thwt sexual assault is wrong. The people that do it do so because they want to and because they think they can get away with it and not because they don’t know better.
edit on 2018/11/26 by Metallicus because: Sp

top topics

<<   2 >>

join