It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point of homework?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
My daughter is a sophomore in high school.
She leaves the house ate 7:30 in the morning.
She leaves the school at 5:30,,, after practice..6:00 twice a week because of weight lifting required by the athletic director,,,, that's another sticking point for me but a different topic.

Why the hell does the school have my kid for eight hours plus two sports hours and still need to send homework for them to do? I'm not talking about a book report once a month or something like that which is understandable...
Oh no. She has 25 geometry questions, an assignment in agriculture class and vocabulary words for English lit...

What the holy hell are they doing all damn day?
If that's not bad enough the coaches want kids to do their sports in the off season.
Great, an hour or two of softball pitching or volleyball class....

I know she can drop the sports but she is a kid and loves athletes.
Can't she be a kid?

I guess my biggest bitch is an hour or two of homework every night after they had her for eight hours already.
We send our kids to school for twelve years and then tell them they need four more years before they know anything.
The school system sucks.

Guess I should have posted this in the rant section

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The informational singularity.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

They don't teach any more.

They indoctrinate.

The homework is just catching up from what they should have been doing in the first place but couldn't because schools now are like traffic down a one lane road.

You only go as fast as the slowest car.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yes....the point of....yezz.....this

The self discipline of Homework, grasshopper... is not an end to itself....but merely a means to an end......
edit on 8-11-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
My wife and myself were having this same conversation this morning. Our daughter is 2 1/2 and I got to thinking how homework is something my daughter is going to have to deal with. I hated doing and I hated more the idea that I spend 8.5 hours at work and I dont have to bring work home with me. School? You spend the same amount of time if not more, only to have more class work to complete at home. Instead of spending time with your family.
edit on 8-11-2018 by rollanotherone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rollanotherone

Homeschooling FTW.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

All school is anymore is preparing kids for the standardized testing they have to pass.
Regurgitate the information but not teaching the kids.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Most of the 8 - 10 hours they could be in school learning stuff they are busy standing in lines and being herded around like cattle.

The education system is an antiquated mess that cannot keep up with the rate of change in the economy.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
My daughter is a sophomore in high school.
She leaves the house ate 7:30 in the morning.
She leaves the school at 5:30,,, after practice..6:00 twice a week because of weight lifting required by the athletic director,,,, that's another sticking point for me but a different topic.

Why the hell does the school have my kid for eight hours plus two sports hours and still need to send homework for them to do? I'm not talking about a book report once a month or something like that which is understandable...
Oh no. She has 25 geometry questions, an assignment in agriculture class and vocabulary words for English lit...

What the holy hell are they doing all damn day?
If that's not bad enough the coaches want kids to do their sports in the off season.
Great, an hour or two of softball pitching or volleyball class....

I know she can drop the sports but she is a kid and loves athletes.
Can't she be a kid?

I guess my biggest bitch is an hour or two of homework every night after they had her for eight hours already.
We send our kids to school for twelve years and then tell them they need four more years before they know anything.
The school system sucks.

Guess I should have posted this in the rant section

Homework is dumb lmao

I was homeschooled after middle school second year and until last year, now i'm in college and i don't have any problems with anything

I always thought it was a way to say "i don't even know if you learned anything but do this and i will compare with the answers i have already and will know if you are dumb or i'm useless as a teacher but if you are good i will just think i'm a great teacher and it will never be because of your own accomplishment" lmfao

I never had homework and had lots of time to spend doing Kempo and other things i liked like riding dirt bikes, going out to the movies, never had to worry about not being able to "finish it" on time or any of those things, and i even went to bootcamps in the afternoons for things like computer programming and other things i was wondering about and it all worked out nice

If you teach right then why do you need to make sure, unless you think they are not smart enough or you failed, i feel like this is more about the teachers just doing whatever they are told than to know how to teach. They just follow the book and be done with it

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well i suppose the idea is to reinforce what they learned earlier in the day through practice?

Like your geometry example, the homework is likely based on the lesson your daughter would have gotten that day. I'm not sure exactly how long the classes are but probably an hour-hour and a half i'd guess?

That's about enough time to go over the lessons learnes last time and probably one new concept. Personally, for me at least, geometry was one of those things i struggled with until i did it over and over again. Turns out it was useful because my job requires me to use it every single day.

Any skill or knowledge must be practiced to be learned properly. You can read all the books, listen to all the lectures, but without practice you don't really learn things.

That's the idea behind homework. How useful it ends up being for that is another question.

I never really came to appreciate it until long after i finished school and even then that's mostly the homework i got in university. I gave pretty much zero #s about homework in highschool, but i like to learn so i teach myself things. A lot of times this means forcing myself to keep going even when it gets boring or i struggle. Being forced to do homework made me ok with doing this so i tend not to give up on things even when they're not always fun and exciting anymore. I've learned a lot more in life and i'm a lot more capable for havibg pushed through the slog that learning anything eventually brings.

I dunno....if your daughter's a sophmore in highschool she's not really a child any more. She should be learning things. I wish i'd tried harder and spent more time learning and less time #ing around when i was young.

But all of this is just me. Different people all learn differently and schools don't spend enough time working with kids the way they learn. I've taught a lot of different people over the years from kids to adults and they all learn differently. One type of education really doesn't fit everyone. Some people learn well from repeated practice and forced work others don't.

I think the way schools are set up in general are all wrong. Splitting everyone by age and all classes by subject matter works well on paper and for grading and mass schooling purposes but it's not how people learn. Math and science are just as much a part of art, music, construction and other trades. Kids never really get to see the big picture. How all the knowledge they learn is actually used and applied in the world. People learn at different rates, even kids. A lot of kids get left behind and pushed through when they struggle, never really learning anything or others get dragged down and bored and end up learning less than they could.
edit on 8/11/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

We homeschool ours and it's been fantastic how well they absorb the material.

We do it through the State of Nevada. Our schools are extremely overcrowded and most of them are not prepared to deal with the growth we've been experiencing. Coupled with mismanagement by school districts and the situation is simply intolerable.

Nevada schools were garbage when I want to them and that has not changed since. But Nevada's homeschool program is fantastic and should be more widely used.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: BoneSay

We homeschool ours and it's been fantastic how well they absorb the material.

We do it through the State of Nevada. Our schools are extremely overcrowded and most of them are not prepared to deal with the growth we've been experiencing. Coupled with mismanagement by school districts and the situation is simply intolerable.

Nevada schools were garbage when I want to them and that has not changed since. But Nevada's homeschool program is fantastic and should be more widely used.

I was going to say home school her also. My ex is a special ed teacher and admin and all they care about is kids passing tests so they can get more federal dollars. Screw that because they are screwing the kids over money.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

All school is anymore is preparing kids for the standardized testing they have to pass.
Regurgitate the information but not teaching the kids.

Well, I'm 45 and I still remember school being pure indoctrination. At least I remember my teachers keeping their political views to themselves. When did THAT change.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Homeschooling FTW.

Except I like my daughter to have the social interaction. There is something I've seen in Outdoor Mag that was free range schooling. Here is the article.

www.kqed.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Man, my dad would get pissed off when I came home without homework. He wrote a note to the teacher. If I finished it all at school, he thought it wasn't challenging enough. "Study anyway!"

My dad is awesome. Don't misinterpret this as a complaint.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Bluntone22

In order to condition your child into accepting the notion that it is acceptable, expected even, for a worker to take work home with him/ her. Thereby instilling a misplaced sense of duty to ones employer as well as consolidating the stranglehold
which the employer has over the worker.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

And after all those 10-12 hours and homework we still can't place in the top 20% in the world.

Countries like Finland have their kids in school from the ages 7 through 16, for three to four classes a day, get out by 2:00 or 2:30 and still place far above us.

We just have it all wrong. We focus on all the wrong things and it's abut time we took a page from someone else's book. Some country that places at the top consistently, for example.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Homeschooling FTW.

And there's this too. This sounds pretty cool actually.

www.outsideonline.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

And after all those 10-12 hours and homework we still can't place in the top 20% in the world.

Countries like Finland have their kids in school from the ages 7 through 16, for three to four classes a day, get out by 2:00 or 2:30 and still place far above us.

We just have it all wrong. We focus on all the wrong things and it's abut time we took a page from someone else's book. Some country that places at the top consistently, for example.

Hot damn!!! Something we agree on.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Tell her welcome to the system. It seeks its pound of flesh daily.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join