It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point of homework?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It is, I agree. But since quality work isn´t valued anymore (handwork), that´s what is done to "make sure" they get a good paying desk job.

Today, if you want a job, they want you to be 20 years old, optimistic, diligent and with at least 30 years of work experience.

"Everyone elso can have the beginners/nookies, we take the cream of the cream."

This is why you see German companies building their own schools such as Lidl (food store) to raise their own elite managers from apprentice to top manager. They scout you out at school contests.

It´s how you raise internal competence and also keep it. You bring them up like family and it makes them loyal to your company, so the knowledge stays where it "belongs".

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter
My son chose a trade, he's a plumber and has no student loan debt because he was an apprentice and got paid a wage as well as learning.
He said he'll maybe get a degree in the future but I didn't go to university until I was 30 so he'll likely do the same as me and fund it himself.
He earns more money than me now, and that makes me smile, okay his school homework is almost irrelevant now, but it was part of educating him so I'd do it the same again in a heartbeat, 2-3 hours every day after I finished work.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy
Sounds like you´re a great father, your son can be proud

I started working construction, ascended to technical service, made my engineering degree in my freetime and began a whole new career in robotics until I was scouted out for research and development in artifical intelligence, now I´m retired.

Thinking back at the time where I shoveled dirt and swung machines, it was a great time, too. I wasn´t lazy, I had very good grades but I did not want to leave my hometown because I was about to marry and so I worked construction because it was the only thing available except for shoemaker.

It gave me a steel body without fitness centers (that we´re not in existance in my time), I learned to value hard work and sweating.

Maybe that is one of the reasons I cringe at some youngsters today who burn up like vampires in the sun, complain about everything and behave like a flag in the wind.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Lab4Us

It's funny how you say none of us had our face in screens.

My kid got a school ipad in second grade and has a school mac book now.

They force them to look at screens...lol

Times changed

I am aware schools (some) provide text books electronically now, as well as avenues for reasearch at home. I’m also “pretty” sure you also know what I meant (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You've had an interesting life so far

And thanks, I've always taken being a parent as my most important job, wanted to be the kind of parent I always craved, mother of my child is the same.
Kids these days do whine about stuff though, even my son criticises folk in his peer group who are snowflakes, 21 year olds still living with their parents lol.

My son has a nice little house next door to me now, it is tiny, but he has a better ocean view than I do haha.
The biggest one that annoys my son is when his mates whine 'oh there's no work around here' he replies yes there is if you aren't a lazy bastard just claiming benefits.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I have one hyphenated word for you.

Home-school

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Reading between the lines, I can´t help thinking some suffering in both of our past made us think twice about what we do and how. To give our kids a better start than we had while at the same time, not turning them into a bunch of snowflakes.

I still walk funny on some days depending on the weather. However while I don´t wish a childhood like mine towards anyone, current generation are just pushovers and can´t take any heat.

If you scream at them to get water because you are literally on fire, they will run home to mommy complaining they got screamed at. For example.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The solution is DIY. Homeschooling.

I do not give my kids homework, but I expect them to use the knowledge they were taught in daily applications. That sticks substantially better and longer than homework repetition does.

Having to actually figure out multiplication, division, fractions math, etc on the spot in the kitchen makes a much bigger, longer lasting impact than paperwork does. Putting those, the metric system, etc to use under the hood of the car or in the garage building something from scratch with their dad makes a much bigger, longer lasting impact than paperwork does.
Writing their own stories, or physically drawing their own storyboards/comics to color & author makes a much bigger, longer lasting impact than a Language Arts homework sheet does. Hell, making their own homemade slime is a better, more impactful science lesson than a worksheet is.
Seeing the knowledge you acquired unfold before you in daily life instead of just on paper 12 hours a day is the key.
My kids are ahead of their peers in all subjects because of this approach. Practical application, not monotonous practice, is what makes perfect.

The problem with homework isn't that it's work, it's that it's not impactful. It does not teach the value of doing work, because that homework pile is not valuable enough to be impactful in the first place. It is mere repetition, not practical use, and repetition alone does not equal success.
edit on 11/9/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Because every parent that sends their kids to a school doesn´t do the same things.
We all rely on the state to teach everything to our kids. When they come home we ignore them completely.

That´s how you sound. And you point me out on assumptions. Classic.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yes, similar experiences for sure...I never wanted a snowflake, just a confident child who could face the world.
They are tragic these days.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Because every parent that sends their kids to a school doesn´t do the same things.
We all rely on the state to teach everything to our kids. When they come home we ignore them completely.

That´s how you sound. And you point me out on assumptions. Classic.

Are you the OP? Who the f# said I was responding to you?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Home schooling is not an option for everyone. It's not practical for two working parents.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Aehm, this is a public forum where everyone can post? What is your problem, is no one allowed to reply to you if you do not give the one permission? Are you the one who decides who is allowed to reply to someone?

Seriously get a grip please.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Aehm, this is a public forum where everyone can post? What is your problem, is no one allowed to reply to you if you do not give the one permission? Are you the one who decides who is allowed to reply to someone?

Seriously get a grip please.

But you were replying to her, just not quoting her for some reason, context gives it away, you think we are dumb?

Also can't believe you managed yo turn a thread about homework value or alternatives into another rambling of "kids these days are weak and dumb, and useless, and dumb, and weak, and snowflake, and stuff about on my days"

LMFAO!!!!!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ahem, please show me where TC state that I have to use the reply button if I adress something that a member wrote.

It´s only you seeing something sinister, instead of singling out someone like you do all the time, I go with the flow of the thread.

Maybe you would have learned that in a public school, that a conversation can be held between more than two parties. Now please stop derailing this thread if you don´t have something to say on topic.

Thank you very much.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Ahem, please show me where TC state that I have to use the reply button if I adress something that a member wrote.

It´s only you seeing something sinister, instead of singling out someone like you do all the time, I go with the flow of the thread.

Maybe you would have learned that in a public school, that a conversation can be held between more than two parties. Now please stop derailing this thread if you don´t have something to say on topic.

Thank you very much.

No, you are forcing the thread to flow into your favorite complain of how kids are dumb, you did the same on my thread by the way, you just can't avoid it

The thread is about the value of homework or if there's something better, you don't have anything to add to that but to bitch about how kids are not as smart and strong as you are, that's derailing the thread into this mess

And posting something that clearly is related to what other person said but not talking directly to her is mature and shows education on your side? It's the same as speaking bad about someone on the hall but being scared to say it directly to her face

A conversation is between two people, if you want to say something to her say it, don't use a pen and write it on some wall hoping she passes by and sees it by chance

Otherwise just posting something addressing no one makes you the crazy guy talking alone about things he heard other people talking on the room, how does that even make sense to you?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I was interested in this thread because i have my own experience with both being in school and having homework and being home-schooled and being free to learn other stuff instead. And i wanted to say how i think it helped me and from my own point of view

I'm not interested in ridiculous talk about how dumb we are and weak and the usual "in my days" pointless blah blah blah. It got to be the most boring thing in the world, and comes out as something someone very bitter and hateful of kids would say

To never be happy for the kids and always having to tell them off and trying to put them down is a sorry state of living

I don't care about the conversation anymore, there's nothing to add now since it became the same as my thread, a completely nonsense conversation about young vs old people and how the old ones had it better and we are a shame and useless

Pointless, so bye bye

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay
Haha you are on it tonight ain't ya!
...being advocate, you gotta admit a lot of young adults are snowflakes now, even my son says the same and he's 20 lol.
You ain't haha, you are a tiger for your age, I like your spirited posts, remind me of me and my defiance when I was your age, you ain't no snowflake!

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay
Please, please quote the exact text parts in any of my posts where I complain that kids are dumb. QUOTE IT, quote that text and don´t use any other one that uses a different word.

Put your money where your mouth is, once and for all. Quote that part where I write every kid is dumb. You can´t because you are a liar.

I´m sick of your behavior making stuff up as you go off on tangents.

And you are not correct, this is a public forum and if you can´t be bothered to keep up with the thread because you don´t get specific replies, I can´t help you.

Edit: An now you pull the "you ruined it for me"... please grow up.

edit on 9-11-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Liar is a strong word mate, just interpretation.
Think like when you were young, think about the different challenges.
Her points are valid in my mind, maybe not articulated as I would but valid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join