It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point of homework?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
and to prepare them ready to get a job.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

What would you rather have your daughter do? Watch TV? Social media? Hang out on the street? Or, God forbid, hang out on ATS?

There are worse ways she can spend her time than getting into a habit of self improvement.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

What would you rather have your daughter do? Watch TV? Social media? Hang out on the street? Or, God forbid, hang out on ATS?

There are worse ways she can spend her time than getting into a habit of self improvement.

"Why do you want to live thiiiiiings!!! Go study and get ready for your soon to come full time work! And i better not hear any noise coming out of that room until you come for dinner!" That's how i read this

I did the following:

1. Go to computer software design classes, kind of learned how to write apps for ios and android
2. Ride my dirt bike for at least one hour
3. Play basketball with my friends
4. Go to Kempo class, 2 hours a night
5. Go spend time on tv/movies/coffee shop with my friends the rest of the afternoon
6. Have dinner at home and then read something get a shower go to sleep

Is this bad? I have done this for years, why do you like better to spend all time doing useless work because the teachers are not even try to really teach you and you have to do it on your own, which is different than telling you for real how things work and not just "this is how it seems to work, go figure it out because i don't know much else"

Homework is not a habit of self improvement, is boring and you are forced to do it, you never like it and is not something that makes you want to learn more, everyone knows that

I wanted to learn how to do apps for iphone, i had a friend who knew a bit and he showed me, so i went to classes right after school and learned, if i had to do dumb homework instead i would have never learned because all time spent on nothing because i already had learned the other stuff and did not need the extra work in the afternoon.

I don't get you, i feel like i lived more in the past 3 years than all my friends can afford, i even traveled a lot too, and i'm doing ok on college as well, did not need the extra work and i spent it learning other stuff or just going out, yes

I don't know what to tell you, i don't feel like i can explain much else but it is very different if you go live it instead of just thinking about it

What would you rather have your daughter do? Watch TV? Social media? Hang out on the street?

LMFAO! Too late!

edit on 8-11-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2018 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I think the heads of the schools think that if they load up the kids with homework they will not have time to go out and get into trouble. That philosophy sucks, then they tell the kids they are getting fat. The students do not have enough time to go out for a walk or a run and are too frustrated to even do exercises by the time they eat supper and do their homework. I think we have created a stupid school system. Kids need to go outside and play, but it is dark within a few hours of the end of school and most have to do their homework right after school before they are allowed to do anything. So much for getting fresh air and exercise playing in the yard with friends.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They don't teach any more.

They indoctrinate.

The homework is just catching up from what they should have been doing in the first place but couldn't because schools now are like traffic down a one lane road.

You only go as fast as the slowest car.

That's true. My primary school gave us homework. But we spent one afternoon on a sports field, a morning doing PE and
another morning playing tennis, dry slope skiing on another afternoon. Then there are various video education courses (sex, history), That's eight hours. Parents wouldn't have time to take their children
to do all of these activities, simply because they didn't have cars or even the time to get out there during the day.
Many actually went up to the playing fields after 6pm for even more practise.
Then we get homework on top of that. Some of that homework was work we hadn't finished during the day.

Weight lifting is important - stops you from becoming a skinny kid being bullied by larger kids, plus it boosts circulation and muscle strength in legs and arms.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

I believe I understand what you are saying

Of course, young people are going to have their fun. They will make time for that. I know I did.

It's just human nature to get to the point where you find something you love and want to excel at it. There's only one proven way to excel at anything, study and practice. Whether it's a sport, a career, art, music, etc. To excel you're going to have to do more than average. Success will depend on your ability to learn things on your own, and your determination to do so.

Homework teaches you to learn on your own. That skill comes in handy when your're out of school.
edit on 9-11-2018 by VictorVonDoom because: I need to learn to proofread

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Teachers give out homework so the teens are sooo exhausted they don't have to deal with them the next day.

Also, don't let her drop sports. That is seriously my only regret about high school, that I didn't do more (and I did a lot).
I love that she does weight lifting. You might think it is silly, but it actually taught my son a lot. He learned a lot about proper lifting that he still uses today.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I believe I understand what you are saying

Well that's weird because i don't the more i read my own words LMFAO!

Have to keep editing trying to make it make sense

It has been 1 years since i finished high school and i did not had a problem doing it home schooled and I don't have a problem learning now on college

Learned things i wanted best to learn, and i liked computers and i am doing that, studying computer science

I was home schooled and i could ask all i wanted and get answers i wanted to know right then and i advanced so much fast that i got a year ahead

When i was in first year of middle school it was miserable because it was like being a robot, doing chores all day, only able to ask small questions and otherwise not getting any answer and that was the end of it, and looking into the eyes of the teacher and he looking down on you tired of you being anproblem and not just following the script and being like the others

This one time i had an issue with saying "American" and i would always say "Americansky", not that i wanted but it just came out and i could not help it

So one day the teacher yells at me and says "American!" and asked me to step in front of everyone and repeat it, so that i would "learn" the proper word

So i did and said "Americaaaaa....nsky!" and all hell broke lose lmao. i think she almost had an aneurysm that day and got me suspended and teacher hated me a lot from then on

I always remember The Wall video of Pink Floyd with the kids in the meat processing line when i think about those days

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I never did my homework.
Projects and essays sure.

Had extra classes for scienece and maths.
I often copied Mondays homework from a friend and showed that to teachers the whole week through if they were checking homework.

They were to daft to make sure it was the correct ‘excersises’.
Ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
I never did my homework.
Projects and essays sure.

Had extra classes for scienece and maths.
I often copied Mondays homework from a friend and showed that to teachers the whole week through if they were checking homework.

They were to daft to make sure it was the correct ‘excersises’.
Ain’t nobody got time for that nonsense.

LMFAO!

It got words and math or stuff, just what the teachers crave

Projects are cool, if you don't get the bloodsuckers attached

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The idea of homework allegedly is to give the pupils a second repeating cycle.

Repeating stuff that you already understood but not mastered yet, will give you more security in what you do.

For some things you don´t have time in class. You can´t do four weeks worth of math lessons on simple formula shortening in class, some stuff needs to be trained outside of class.

The pupils are supposed to learn the techniques in class with some examples and the homework is supposed to manifest and train that knowledge.

Not only that, it is the same as with small children and toddlers. If you teach a toddler something right before bed time, chances are high it will register better. That´s where the term "I learned that in my sleep" comes from.

I´m noticing this with my grandchildren, too. For example, I taught the 2 year old how to safely crawl down stairs. Of course the 2 year old will not be unsupervised around stairs, but you never know. So I decided to show it to her and the best time to show such things is before sleep but when they are not too tired.

Very often, the first thing they will do right after getting up is try what they did before sleep, and surprise, very often, it registers better. It will manifest itself during sleep, while they rework their experiences.

The same with turning from back to belly. She would always try to turn over with her arm on her sides, making it very hard to do it. So after grandpa rolled on the floor with her a couple of times, she would not really understand even though she already did it that way.

When I showed it to her directly before sleep, she was able to do it everytime from then on. Right after waking up she was rolling from back to belly and vice-versa like crazy, giggling about her new learned freedom.

Every oberserving parent (or grandparent) will notice this, I guess. They can´t really learn complete new things but their brain and muscle memory is training during sleep.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

It's easy to sit in class and daydream. By having homework it ensures the student knows the topic. The student is then tested on their ability to recall that information. That information is the foundations of advanced subjects that will not be taught from scratch. Therefore that basic knowledge is required in order to understand advanced fundamentals. Once an understanding of advanced knowledge is proven through a qualification, then that knowledge can be used in the decision making process instead of in the learning process, such as in the workplace.

These basics are necessary to master if you plan on going to college or university. When you get there they are not going to reteach high school chemistry. They will assume you have a mastery of the fundamentals. And if you don't, you fail.

It's important if the student has no idea what they want to do. It leaves the most doors open. If they want to be a florist, not so important. If they already know they want to be an engineer, chances are they live it and learn it as a hobby.

That's all. Giving you the most opportunity for your working life.

The only problem I have with it is that too much social capital is invested in measuring success and social progress based on academic success.

All the sitcoms and movies are about young educated working people. They are cool and therefore high school students are encouraged to emulate them and then be judged by others as amazing and successful, when in fact they have sacrificed their one human existence to fulfil the aspirations of peer pressure and may be miserable and living a lie.
edit on 9-11-2018 by maundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: maundy

It's easy to sit in class and daydream. By having homework it ensures the student knows the topic. The student is then tested on their ability to recall that information. That information is the foundations of advanced subjects that will not be taught from scratch. Therefore that basic knowledge is required in order to understand advanced fundamentals. Once an understanding of advanced knowledge is proven through a qualification, then that knowledge can be used in the decision making process instead of in the learning process, such as in the workplace.

These basics are necessary to master if you plan on going to college or university. When you get there they are not going to reteach high school chemistry. They will assume you have a mastery of the fundamentals. And if you don't, you fail.

It's important if the student has no idea what they want to do. It leaves the most doors open. If they want to be a florist, not so important. If they already know they want to be an engineer, chances are they live it and learn it as a hobby.

That's all. Giving you the most opportunity for your working life.

The only problem I have with it is that too much social capital is invested in measuring success and social progress based on academic success.

All the sitcoms and movies are about young educated working people. They are cool and therefore high school students are encouraged to emulate them and then be judged by others as amazing and successful, when in fact they have sacrificed their one human existence to fulfil the aspirations of peer pressure and may be miserable and living a lie.

I want to be an engineer and i'm studying for that and i was home schooled and did not have homework for the past 4 years and yet i am doing very well on college. Homework has nothing to do with that, what the teacher is able to teach is what means. And as homeschooled i learned lots more and i finished high school at 16 and was allowed to spend one year traveling through South America and learning better Spanish and then i just got into college to study Computer Science this past September, so who cares about homework, i learned more on my own and through teachers who are there for you 100% of the time you spend with them and not do a generic class and then get desperate if you need to ask things beyond what the book says they have to teach.

I don't think you understand, and whatever but you are missing a lot of what the OP said about. Homework is useless, if there were good classes in the first place, no one would need to go and do second attempts at learning things

It's like, you parents go see you opening your eyes, then drinking water, then stepping on your own, then eating on your own, then they ask you to repeat all of it in front of them again because them have to make sure you really know and are not faking it

You should also go poo in front of them then, because no one can ever be sure if you are not doing it the wrong way

Maybe if adults trusted more and really focused on teaching and not "making sure" because of their own insecurities we would already be living on mars or who knows lmao

Imagine that lmao

- "can you travel more than speed of light?"
- I believe i can Sr!
- Show me! But don't get on the plane because i don't know if you can!
- Yes Sr! "makes faster of speed of light sounds with his mouth"
- Ok, you can go ahead and use this very expensive plane and do the real thing no one has ever done before

- Let's go to the moon!
- Wait first i need to see if you can do it
- Makes 'Space sounds and waves his hands in space like traveling"
- Ok cadete! You are ready to travel to the moon, now take this multibillion almost paper aluminum space ship and get it there!
- Right away Sr!

America has lost all it had, you don't even know it yet

That's why the US has to buy trips to the space station from Russia, you just don't get it at all LMFAO

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Lol. There's nothing I can say to such an ....interestng question.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Your post is rude, disrespectful. You demand others to be polite towards you, yet you can´t control yourself to not post stuff like this

You should also go poo in front of them then, because no one can ever be sure if you are not doing it the wrong way
Maybe if adults trusted more and really focused on teaching and not "making sure" because of their own insecurities we would already be living on mars or who knows lmao

Could it be that you are the inscecure one? Since you constantly need to blame others being insecure? It´s called self projection. If you demand others to be nice to you, maybe you should start with your own good examples.

Just saying

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Some folks in this thread act like homework is some new torture device. I went to public school through the early 60s to mid 70s. Had homework almost every night (could sometimes finish at school - in high school). As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, homework is to reinforce/practice lessons taught earlier. Anyone who has studied learning knows that practice (in anything) reinforces that skill.

There are also some posts in this thread that aren’t doing very well at demonstrating how home schooling is just as good as formal education...at least as far as communication skills and social interaction are concerned. I am a believer in home schooling with the right parents and right children. Not so much for those that think it’s meant to be a party.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us
Well, as good as homeschooling is, social interaction clearly lacks, as evident in this very thread.

The mindset, the least amount of work is preferable, does not help either.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
let me understand this.
You're complaining because your daughter's getting a good education?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
let me understand this.
You're complaining because your daughter's getting a good education?

Pissing on a house fire isn't a good fire department.
Also
Homework doesnt make a good education.

They waste the school day away and then send work home in a poor attempt to make up for their poor teaching abilities.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I would rather my kid not have to suffer with the public school system for any longer than necessary. Doing their homework is doing nothing to improve my kid, it only builds resentment.
She finished her work at 10:30.
That's not healthy in my opinion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join