It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving is being deleted because it is nationalist / exceptionalist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I have a child I'm raising, I felt the need to learn new ways to be able to communicate in a way that doesn't perpetuate the hate that has infested our society, so sure it's good.
edit on 1-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
I can recommend a book for you if you want but it´s in German. It´s a good one, there are very vew in this topic how to communicate with children. Most are looking at it from a psychological standpoint but this one not.

Could be that there is an english translation. It´s really good, it explains why kids ask the same question again and again for example.

It´s the answer that they don´t want to hear. For example if your kid asks you "what is this" and you know your kid knows that it´s a ball... It want´s to know the properties

like: round, cold, soft, the color etc.

It´s originally published in netherland.
ISBN-10: 3407857551
ISBN-13: 978-3407857552

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I have a child I'm raising, I felt the need to learn new ways to be able to communicate in a way that doesn't perpetuate the hate that has infested our society, so sure it's good.

That's admirable. Just make sure you don't indoctrinate your child into thinking anything outside of your narrative is 'hate', moreover anyone not in the mainstream narrative as 'hate' group's.

Be honest with your child, and don't try to sway them too far in one direction, lest they are subject to actual extremism. You gotta let them explore all sides without restriction. That's my advice.

I did that with my own child, and he's now working on getting top secret clearance with a govt contractor making way more than me. He still loves Ron Paul although I guess that has nothing to do with this lol.

Point is, from your posts here, I see you as a very staunch leftist. Don't force your kids to have the same opinions as you because you just might be wrong. I personally think you are, but I digress.

Good luck.

edit on 1-11-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: carewemust
People will survive it.

Isn´t the sense of a holiday that -except for very important positions- everyone get´s a day off to celebrate that event? Are the stores in the USA opened 365 days a year?

Up until 3 years ago most big chain retailers were closed on Thanksgiving. They would open at midnight with Black Friday sales, and people would get trampled to death and fight for the sale items. To prevent this, they stayed open all day Thanksgiving thru Black Friday. Still have fights, but nobody being trampled to death, or camping out in front of the doors waiting for them to open.

As a 20-something in the early 1980's, I remember not being able to even find an open gas station on Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
It´s generally a good idea to let your kids explore the topic of politics alone and let them decide. But only when they are old enough to understand and know the system. I´d say not under 14 years. Kids should be kids and not involved in politics. Not sure when we had politics in class but it was definitly over 14.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I appreciate the reply, thank you. That must suck for many people if they have to work through thanksgiving. I see it´s not small holiday and supposed to be family time.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar
Have the stores actually said so, or are you just speculating?
Another possibility is that Thanksgiving has been swallowed up by the exploitation of Christmas for commercial reasons. Christmas starts earlier every year, and perhaps Thanksgiving isn't easy enough to exploit.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Thanks for that I will have a look for it, I was always under the impression when kids ask a question they already have formed a conclusion and are just looking for conformation...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
It´s generally a good idea to let your kids explore the topic of politics alone and let them decide. But only when they are old enough to understand and know the system. I´d say not under 14 years. Kids should be kids and not involved in politics. Not sure when we had politics in class but it was definitly over 14.

I agree with this. My son and I went to Ron Paul rallies when he was no less than 17.

Then he went to college. He changed a lot because only like 8% of students there were republicans, or even NON liberals. The professors were basically entirely "Liberal". My son was changed by it. I saw it.

But the son and Dad time we spent in the old days as Ron Paul supporters, he never forgot. Well always cherish that. Of course, he hates Trump and I know why. His friends would ridicule him if he didn't.

My brother died, and still his other brothers (not me) ridicule him for it. Even after death. That's pretty damn powerful. Nope. Something more crazy has been going on.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   
thanksgiving is a religious holiday? what religion would that be? i only know of two countries that even have thanksgiving at this time of year. that being Canada having one in October, and the US having one in November. although it seems possibly Germany has a similar sort of holiday. in fact thanksgiving if anything is really a harvest celebration. nothing at all to do with religion.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 02:59 AM
link   

That´s called the feedback loop and a different topic. Don´t ask loaded questions. This is really a little science but it works. The undertone is also extremly important. I bought the book early this year. I´m grandfather to a 2 and a 3 year old girl and a 3.5 year old boy.

Since I´ve read this book everyone was baffled why I can have so good conversation with kids. If you know how they tick and what they are capable of understanding and not, it´s a cake walk.

Provided the kid can speak audible so you understand.

edit on 1-11-2018 by verschickter because: "eats a cake walk" my god I need sleep....

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

That´s what erntedank litteraly means "Harvest thank you"

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Right or wrong really is a matter of perspective, when you say I'm a staunch leftist I'm not even sure what that means anymore...!

I'm a live and let live kind a guy, I believe in personal freedoms, equality, I don't care where you are from what you look like or what color your skin is, I don't hold a land exclusively as mine but I'm a firm believer that if you move to say Australia where I currently live you damn well adapt the values of that country or bugger off to where you came from.

I don't need or want big government, I don't need or want some slimy politician sucking up to corporate interests to dictate to me how to live, but I also realise the need to help the less fortunate amongst us.

I'm sick of the hate, for the most part we are all similar except for those that want too and enjoy hurting other people, for those of us that want better we should probably extend an olive branch sooner than later otherwise we're all screwed... So I don't know what that makes me I just know its time for change.
edit on 1-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

i think you sound like a conservative mostly whom has been bought into the idea that hate and racism exists in every corner and all while the left wants you to believe it exists. That's kinda why I think you're buying into extremism.

Extremism where it doesn't exist. I'm not claiming that it doesn't exist at ALL, just not as a whole. Not like the MSM would like you to believe. It's just not there!

I think you are just a guy who wants to raise your kid. Just do that. Stop listening to the news. Just raise your child and don't spread the fear or the lies upon them. Just let them be a kid. No fear. Fear is the worst option.
Sincerely.

We're not even pals on here. K? So maybe in a strange way you can trust me on this one. Altho that makes no sense lol.
edit on 1-11-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Why is this the first time I notice something reasonable I can agree with from your account?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
If the “tolerant” left had its way. Thanksgiving would be renamed native American genocide enslavement and theft of land by evil white men .

You mean the truth of the creation of this country.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I mean in either case, I'd like to know if you actually got my last response to you. I'm about to go to bed soon cause I regretfully have to work tomorrow. But I'd really like to know if you got my last post.

Goodnight.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: je55ejame5
"What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?"

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

I am sure you deliberately didn’t mention the “real reason“ of celebrating “The Thanks giving” in US.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Fallingdown

That's some pretty good hyperbole you've got going on there. There seems to be a lot of this type of rhetoric going around these days. Let's try to stick to reality.

What reality are you a part of again... should probably change your name to M153R@8L3 PR1€K...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join