It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving is being deleted because it is nationalist / exceptionalist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

If you learn how to cook it, it ain't dry.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the role of Abraham lincoln in establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday. It was traditional in the Northeast US and varied by state as to when. In 1863 he decided the day it was to fall and instituted the national holiday that we now celebrate.

www.abrahamlincolnonline.org...

Yeah, Lincoln made it official.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Unfortunately buddy, you reap what you sow.

The only thing America, just like my own nation does now is consume.

Capitalism, perfected the trait, mass media perpetuates the madness.

And it will all end in tears, our not "There's".

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Well we should acknowledge what happened to the native Americans and the fact that we are buying massive amounts of factory farmed turkey.

We should also have a day to celebrate be thankful too. Black Friday should be abolished, but probably won't.

We should acknowledge the sins of the past, and not just brush them off as "those were different times". Slavery, Native American genocide, Christopher Columbus, the confederacy, and our oppression of other lands should be recognized.

Our heritage is covered in blood, but that doesn't mean we can't learn from it.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I've noticed a significant lack of advertisements for it this year in Canada. We already celebrated back in October unlike you guys down south who celebrate it in November ( I've always found that kinda funny ).

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12
Yep, let's just keep going down the line of acknowledgement of atrocities all through history, why would we need to stop at the colonization of the Americas by Columbus and his ilk? I say we take it back even further, perhaps the Romans or their descendants should apologize for some crucifixion as well? Or we can go way nuts and anyone with Neanderthal DNA should demand apologies and acknowledgement by those that don't have that DNA for the wholesale slaughter of an entire race.

/sarc

You learn from history so you don't repeat it, that doesn't mean it needs to be front and center of everyday life either. Although you can't have perpetual victim-hood without it, so I guess that explains why we constantly need to apologize for the actions of people so far removed from ourselves that most can't even reliably relate their lineage to someone that may have been involved in those situations. My mothers side comes from Poland, right around WW2. My paternal grandfather was held as a PoW in the Pacific theater during WW2. I hold nothing against the Germans or Japanese people alive today...because not a single one of them had a hand in what happened to either side of my family, why would anyone want to go through life blaming others for snip that happened in the past is beyond me.

/rant over

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Useless bit of information .....

It was a Yorkshire man named William Strickland who brought the turkey

back to England from the UK. It made him very rich .....

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

And Bernard Matthews did OK out of turkeys, too.

Question is, crown or whole bird? We go for crown as it is tricky to get the breast cooked without overdoing the legs, etc.

Always free range too. We keep ex battery chickens rescued from slaughter for pet food/fertiliser. You should see the sorry looking state of them when rescued, the poor little things. The look on their faces when they taste freedom for the first time is priceless.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanksgiving is a family get together and eat turkey day. The proper name is Turkey Day. I've never once seen emphasis on it being a religious holiday. At least not in my circles. Not sure why the need to eliminate it. Who cares about its origins as all it is now is a day to get together with family or friends, whatever your circle is, buy and make lots of food, and spend time in each others company eating til you pass out and gain ten pounds you'll never lose no matter how hard you try.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I´m aware of that, I asked about Santa.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I agree, we shouldn't have perpetual victim hood or be apologetic for everything in history.

Yet, we should celebrate and cherish the bad as some glorified heritage. The confederacy statues, Christopher Columbus holiday, teaching kids that thanksgiving was about peace with natives, etc...

Plenty of other good things to celebrate.

My point is that we should get rid of the negative and replace it with positives about our history. We don't have to ignore the negatives, but let's not celebrate them.

link   
L
edit on 1-11-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 1-11-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

And Bernard Matthews did OK out of turkeys, too.

He did too.....But where is he now?

Question is, crown or whole bird? We go for crown as it is tricky to get the breast cooked without overdoing the legs, etc.

Remove the cooked legs and continue cooking the breast?

On the whole I find turkey quite bland unless spiced up!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Bernard M is long departed but his company is still going.

Remove the cooked legs and continue cooking the breast?

Damn. Why did I never think of doing that? Top tip, thanks!

Does need bread sauce and a good spicy chutney.

We always use left overs for turkey curry, coronation turkey, turkey soup etc.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

It does not imply any special favor from any deity. If stresses gratitude. There are lots of regional celebrations that places have that others do not. Carnival in Rio. Maradi Gras in New Orleans. October Fest in Germany. Chinese New Year. There are regional festivals all over the world.
Thanksgiving is one of ours. It is a national holiday. The banks are closed.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I just cover the breast with heavy duty foil from the begining and remove it to brown the skin in the last hour of cooking. I never get dry breast meat. Also I put herbs and butter under the breast skin to keep it moist.
Tips and hints from a long time cook.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Seldom do we learn from history though, the next generation perpetuates the same madness and historical transgressions as the last.

Fact is we refuse to learn from history and seem doomed to repeat the same mistakes, only in a more grandesque manner, generation after generation.

We don't learn we rinse and repeat.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Lol they are so far gone in their hyperbole and rhetoric they cant recognize reality anymore.

TL;DR for the mouth breathers, you done got propagandized son!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

"All while I ignore the Lions game. I love tradition lol. "

YOU ARE SO UN - Michiganian , But it is a Thanksgiving day tradition. They do win occasionally. I'll be sitting at a friends restaurant in Frankenmuth watching the game. While stuffing my face!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join