It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving is being deleted because it is nationalist / exceptionalist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasteel

Yes, it is far left nutters but unfortunately some of them hold positions of power/influence eg:

Independent - Rebranding Christmas

I live in the UK and I am afraid it is true. None of these groups seem to be actually offended, it's just PC lefties assuming that they are.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
Stores that would usually make a lot of money off of holiday spending are making no acknowledgement of it this year. They skipped straight from Halloween to Christmas.

The consumer-engineers have tried to replace the traditional meal and family games with "Black Friday" consumerism, going to the movies, binging on Netflix, and binging on massive online games.

Thanksgiving just isn’t as big a money-maker as Halloween and Christmas holidays are. It’s all about the bottom line. That’s your beloved capitalism at work right there.

Trump is proud. Money, money, money. MAGA!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Thanksgiving hearkens back to the founders of the Republic, and their celebration of American produce: pumpkins, maize/corn, turkeys etc.

I'm sure the origins of Thanksgiving date back to the traditional Harvest Festival celebrated in the UK centuries before The Pilgrim Fathers journeyed to North America.

And when they first started celebrating Thanksgiving in The New World I'm absolutely certain they had absolutely no thoughts about founding a republic.

Thanksgiving is nationalist because it is specifically American in its symbols and setting

Yes, Thanksgiving is quintessential American and a tradition worth maintaining.

Thanksgiving is exceptionalist because it first implies that the United States enjoys the special favor and blessing of the Deity, in a way that /snip/-hole countries don't.

Really?
You believe that the USA and by extension its people are some how chosen and favoured by God in preference to other nations and their people?

The consumer-engineers have tried to replace the traditional meal and family games with "Black Friday" consumerism, going to the movies, binging on Netflix, and binging on massive online games.

Consumerism has ruined most traditional holidays and celebrations.

It is somewhat ironic that you bemoan about the detrimental effect consumerism has on the traditional American Thanksgiving holiday when consumerism is by and large America's child.

edit on 1/11/18 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: Vasteel

Yes, it is far left nutters but unfortunately some of them hold positions of power/influence eg:

Independent - Rebranding Christmas

I live in the UK and I am afraid it is true. None of these groups seem to be actually offended, it's just PC lefties assuming that they are.

I checked out the article, thx.
Wow it really is sad that these idiots are pushing a moronic "Christmas is offensive" narrative despite nobody (muslims, atheists etc) actually claiming that. I mean I'm sure if I looked online there would be one or two making the claim for attention.
edit on 1-11-2018 by Vasteel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Was Thanksgiving significantly different before Trump got into office?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasteel

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Was Thanksgiving significantly different before Trump got into office?

Nope. Just saying Trump would be in favor of whatever makes the most MONEY!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I think it’s silly to do away with “Christmas” celebrations/decorations, etc. I have no problem with it. It’d be nice to also add other traditional decorations from other religions as well. That would be a perfect representation of all of us living together in peace.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Turkey, football, beer.

Then we put up the Christmas tree the day after.

(mentally flipping off everyone who now hates Thanksgiving & Christmas because of muh feels)

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We always watch The Great Escape on Boxing Day for some reason.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There is a reason why this is in skunkworks.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
The chipping away at our traditions is due to the new PC culture .

I just wish that people would leave our heritage alone .

This.

Santa Claus is disappearing, "Merry Christmas" is offensive to non-christians and is now "Happy Holidays", etc.

I understand some ppl dont like my traditions/beliefs. Fine. But don't insist I change to fit your wants.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

Agreed, but the thing is Christmas is not offensive to other religions, the problem is that some idiots assume that it is because of their own stupid ideology and political correctness.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
Stores that would usually make a lot of money off of holiday spending are making no acknowledgement of it this year. They skipped straight from Halloween to Christmas. This is because:

Thanksgiving hearkens back to the founders of the Republic, and their celebration of American produce: pumpkins, maize/corn, turkeys etc.

Thanksgiving is a specifically religious holiday, albeit one that most religions can include in their social observances. But a spirit of gratitude does not jibe with progressive marxist victimhood.

Thanksgiving is nationalist because it is specifically American in its symbols and setting

Thanksgiving is exceptionalist because it first implies that the United States enjoys the special favor and blessing of the Deity, in a way that /snip/-hole countries don't.

We had Thanksgiving here a few weeks ago. I went and seen my dad. We had Turkey and much food. It was good. It was the only week I didn't work 6 days in October

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasteel

originally posted by: eletheia
So true .... here in the UK we are constantly being encouraged to say
*Happy Holidays* instead of the previously *Happy Christmas*
I just wish that people would leave our heritage alone .

As someone who lives in the UK I can quite confidently state that this is not true.

You get hysterical people claiming that "Merry Christmas" is being banned because it offends "them" who are "coming here" but you never see anyone who actually claims to be offended and wants it banned. Maybe the odd far-left nutter or someone out to deliberately cause trouble would say it.

Have you got children? If you have, haven't you noticed the annual Christmas

nativity plays now have very different themes to what was traditionally done?

A relative who is a teacher has recently received a directive that from the next

term children will not be referred to as *he* or *she* it will be your child or

that child.

I am not sure but I believe it is the local councils educational department who

are responsible.

So be aware!!! NO I havent picked it out of a hat ...... Its happening

somewhere/everywhere not far away from you.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Thanksgiving hearkens back to the founders of the Republic

No it doesn't.

Thanksgiving was bought to the American Colonies by The English well before The U.S. became independent from The Mother Country.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If this means I no longer have to eat some marginal cooks bone dry turkey I say abolish the holiday now.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

They are trying to replace it because they say it signals the beginning of Native American genocide even though that first Thanksgiving was a harvest festival both the Native Americans and pilgrims celebrated in peaceful brotherhood. At that point, the pilgrims were happy and thankful to be alive and had no designs on their neighbors.

So it should be what it was then: a harvest festival of thankfulness for fall bounty like it is in many places around the world.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the role of Abraham lincoln in establishing Thanksgiving as a national holiday. It was traditional in the Northeast US and varied by state as to when. In 1863 he decided the day it was to fall and instituted the national holiday that we now celebrate.

www.abrahamlincolnonline.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It wasn't about a harvest festival then, it was being thankful we slaughtered the Rebs.

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I always thought that's what it was.

Maybe the move away from the traditional celebration is a response to some people's attempts to politicise it?
I don't know, just a thought from someone who is looking in from the outside.

But as the esteemed member who posted above you pointed out; the consumption of dry turkey isn't my idea of a celebration.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join