It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Location, Location, Location

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Question(s):

Are you affiliated with any one particular religious belief? If so, do you feel that if you were born to a family in another part of the world who is not affiliated to that religious belief, would you still end up falling into that belief eventually in your life? If yes, then do you believe that certain religious beliefs are instilled in you from birth? If no, do you feel that your beliefs are soley based on the culture and surroundings you are born into?

Here's another way to look at it.... if you are a Christian who believes that he/she is going to heaven, and you think that "Johnny Islam" over there in Iraq is going to hell because he is Islamic, do you think that you would still be end up being a Christian if you were born into "Johnny Islam's" family?

[edit on 24-2-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have faith. I have no religion and don't belive in religion. But, I do believe that a TRUE Christian that only believes his own kind are getting into heaven is sadly mistaken....and that is NOT God's plan. I believe everyone gets into heaven.

These freaky Christians that believe they are somehow special are cult-like and dangerous!

I also believe that my surroundings could certainly affect my beliefs. Like, if I was born in Lebanon, or Iran or something, I certainly could have been brought up to believe in the Muslim religion. Although, here I was born Catholic and hate the Catholic church. So maybe I would have come to have my own beliefs no matter where I was born....

It's definitely a tough question. Nature vs. Nurture and all that!!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Everyone knows the answer to that question, even though christians would never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever admit to it.

They typically say things like, god seeks everyone and it is there choice....yada yada yada. No actually, its not. Any born again christian parents out there? Would you allow your child to go to a islamic church? I know for a fact the answer to that is no. So, they have no choice.

You are definitely an environmentally produced product when it comes to religion.

Edit: I need to point out that I was born catholic. I am not catholic now. Many people change faith. Most who make a move remove it. Though it is not rare to swith christian faiths, it is rare to switch from christian to something else.

[edit on 2/24/2005 by Seapeople]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Although, here I was born Catholic and hate the Catholic church. So maybe I would have come to have my own beliefs no matter where I was born....

Edit: I need to point out that I was born catholic. I am not catholic now. Many people change faith. Most who make a move remove it. Though it is not rare to swith christian faiths, it is rare to switch from christian to something else.

Remember though, it is alot easier to move from one religious belief to another in a country that doesn't outlaw "foriegn" religion.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
If i was raised by a christian familiy i would be athistic. There are just too many flaws in the bible.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was raised as a roman catholic and remianed under that label until some point after I moved out on my own. After I read the bible for my self, I recognized that the rcc was not following it.
Now, if I must wear a label, I prefer biblical christian. Simply put, a christian who follows what Christ said in the bible.
You might look around the country you are from and think that it is majority chirsian....but once you read the bible and seek God for yourself, you realize just how far away from God your country really is. Sure, they may wear that label, but if you follow Christs word...you will see the difference.

So the odds for johnny islam and johnny westerner are pretty even. The difference is, people will goto jail if they are caught teaching johnny about christ in an islamic country. But people who teach johnny westerner are only considered outcasts, rejects, ignorant..separated from the crowd and anyone who believes like them are considered foolish.

It seems to me that 'peer' presure works just as well as law at preventing converts

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I come from a none religious up bring.Don`t beleive in the Catholic or any religion that installs a belief that if you don`t follow you don`t get into the club when the lights go out.My partner is Catholic which has allowed me to learn the bases of there beliefs.My partner coming from a strong Catholic country and involved in the church still finds it difficult to defend her religion when possed some questioning points.The whole Vatican and the establishment she finds difficulty defending,but the core of her beliefs remain strong on the family vlues and how you treat fellow man BLAH BLAH.When we got married l had to make an agreement with the church that our children would be brought up as Catholic`s.I guess thats the problem with religion and the country you are from dictates your beliefs until you are at an age to decide for yourself at which time you are unlikely to search for a better replacement.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
I come from a none religious up bring.Don`t beleive in the Catholic or any religion that installs a belief that if you don`t follow you don`t get into the club when the lights go out.My partner is Catholic which has allowed me to learn the bases of there beliefs.My partner coming from a strong Catholic country and involved in the church still finds it difficult to defend her religion when possed some questioning points.The whole Vatican and the establishment she finds difficulty defending,but the core of her beliefs remain strong on the family vlues and how you treat fellow man BLAH BLAH.When we got married l had to make an agreement with the church that our children would be brought up as Catholic`s.I guess thats the problem with religion and the country you are from dictates your beliefs until you are at an age to decide for yourself at which time you are unlikely to search for a better replacement.

Yeah...the catholic church is like that.
Back when Henry VIII broke away..the pope sent phillip of spain to war against England to install a catholic king (1586 - 1604 war).
Spanish armada lost, pope lost.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I hate to tell all of you....
ALL UNDER HEAVEN....

Everyone makes it... so you better start getting along because your stuck with everyone you've ever met.. and you're ever going to meet...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Btw, i was raised unchurch and came to faith later in life, so most of this is missed on me.

I do not belive "johnny Islam" is going to hell because he is Islamic. I do know that he is probly going to go to hell becasue he does not belive Jesus died to save him from hell. That is why it is important to spread the Gospel to everyone possible.

This is what I firmly belive:
1. God has allready chosen the Elect (those that will be saved), from the momment he created the heaven and earth, til the end of the age
2. Everyone decides on thier own, to not belive in Jesus Christ and what he did for us.

yea it warps your mind, and seems contradictory, but then again, how can we know what God allready knows? All we have is a guide to follow.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
So jake, do you believe that you would have been a "biblical christian" if born in...oh lets say..Palistine?

The truth is that there isn't much difference at all when it comes to indoctrination. You believe what you are told for the most part. You sir, are christina, because some of your friends and family happen to be. I assure everyone in this room, that if jake did not know any born again mor...I mean christians, that he would not be one.

On a side note: You claim to be biblical, but yet you would deny the very words of the bible when shown they cause a problem.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It doesnt matter what religion you are as long as you lead a good moral life. Thats what our lady of Medjagorje told us.

As long as your good youll get into heaven

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dnero6911
I hate to tell all of you....
ALL UNDER HEAVEN....

Everyone makes it... so you better start getting along because your stuck with everyone you've ever met.. and you're ever going to meet...

Prove it

new topics

top topics

join