It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War between Sunni & Shiite is largely due to political whims - R Shiites controlled opposition?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Looking at history it seems that the war between muslims is almost always directed at the Shiites (Shia sect) and then the Shiites react or defend themselves. Iran is largely a Shia country and they have tried to remain neutral as much as possible even with the Iran/Iraq war (only reason Iraq had the balls was b/c they had our support and backing..) was mostly defensive and in response to vicious attacks. Their pursuit of the bomb has been portrayed as them wanting an offensive weapon but it you look at the history of the Shiites you will see strong similarities of oppression and persecution, similar to Jews in a way but their main offense most often was having a growing population in an empire/sultanate of opulence/decay and decline - which led to their persecution and often slaughter. This even happened in the Ottoman empire.

Looking at the issue with Bin Laden and the report he was hidden in Iran made me look at how beneficial having two rival powers in the gulf are - Saudi Arabia and Iran. I kind of get the feeling that the Shiites are either actively manipulated (meaning Shiite leaders collude with Sunni leaders) or are used as scapegoats or at least "pawns" in regional or global politics. It gives so much cover for the excuses of muslims killing each other and so many other things (in that area and globally related to Islam) I can't begin to list.

We really need to explore more about what the media tells us about cultures which we don't have first hand experience or at least know people who do and can explain things to us.

In all religions it is beneficial to have someone to "hate" and there are always external enemies, but having an internal one, one within the same religion, is just as helpful in controlling the people. I would think that this was known when Islam was created and I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders saw the benefits as well and decided to create the Shia sect in order to strengthen their grasp on the people within the religion - knowing that they would always be controlled opposition.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

We really more so need to explore why people read 1st century dogma pieces of literature and treat them as fact. That goes for all religions.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

We really more so need to explore why people read 1st century dogma pieces of literature and treat them as fact. That goes for all religions.

IDK if that is really the same thing in any manner and completely off topic. If you want to talk about religions as a form of control that is one thing but Christianity (or "1st century Dogma" as you put it) isn't the topic for this thread. Thanks.

Look at all the actions in the ME since the end of WWII and see how the Sunni/Shiite sects acted or were effected. Look at who reacted and who benefited from those actions. Do some contries find themselves convienently getting new leaders/political admins that cause problems and who is benefiting from this.

I think if anyone really looks at Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia and examines the last ~70 years, we will find that there is more there than what we are led to believe. I/we just need to do some digging into their history and politics to find out.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Are you aware of the religious differences between Sunni and Shi'a?

Their differences go back to the line of succession after Mohammed died in the 7th Century.

There's been slaughter after slaughter ever since....they make the Protestant and Catholic wars look like a brief family spat.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are as diametrically opposed as you can possibly get....there is a passion about the mutual hatred that most people simply can't comprehend.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Are you aware of the religious differences between Sunni and Shi'a?

Their differences go back to the line of succession after Mohammed died in the 7th Century.

There's been slaughter after slaughter ever since....they make the Protestant and Catholic wars look like a brief family spat.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are as diametrically opposed as you can possibly get....there is a passion about the mutual hatred that most people simply can't comprehend.

There is no difference, on similarity and that is they are both insane. That goes for all fanatics.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

They have significant dogmatic differences.

To literally label all Muslims, of all denominations and interpretations, as insane is a bit extreme even for someone like myself who has a deep rooted mistrust of Islam's tenets.

I have at least tried to study the religion and its various facets and am able to differentiate between the different persuasions.

Obviously having different branches of the 'same' religion serves to divide and rule.
And I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an element of that at play today....but there are deep rooted hatreds that go far deeper than many can understand.

The Mahdi, his identity and the circumstances surrounding his (re)emergence is but one of the many differences between Islamic beliefs.

And then there is the fact that Iranians are Persians and they look down on Arabs.
And Arabs resent what they perceive Persian arrogance.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

They have significant dogmatic differences.

To literally label all Muslims, of all denominations and interpretations, as insane is a bit extreme even for someone like myself who has a deep rooted mistrust of Islam's tenets.

I have at least tried to study the religion and its various facets and am able to differentiate between the different persuasions.

Obviously having different branches of the 'same' religion serves to divide and rule.
And I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't an element of that at play today....but there are deep rooted hatreds that go far deeper than many can understand.

The Mahdi, his identity and the circumstances surrounding his (re)emergence is but one of the many differences between Islamic beliefs.

And then there is the fact that Iranians are Persians and they look down on Arabs.
And Arabs resent what they perceive Persian arrogance.

There are zero facts in religion of any sort. Just lots of short stories put together. If I am wrong have God come down and tell me himself..o wait that's right, I just have to imagine he is there...my bad..

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

The thing is, its irrelevant what you or I believe.

For whatever reasons the majority in the world adhere to one belief system or another.

'Gods' existence is utterly unprovable until death or some so-called Judgement Day, so for me its a pretty much moot question.
But I'm very much in the minority and 'insane' or not religion is at the very core of current world affairs and plays an extremely important role in many peoples lives.
Therefore its important to try to understand it in its many manifestations.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

For whatever reasons the majority in the world adhere to one belief system or another.

Hard to fix stupid.

Especially when you and your entire community are raised that way.

We seem the same sort of problems in US based ghettos. (edit to clarify: I'm talking about most gangs, and inner city thug life where welfare and crime is life)
edit on 16-10-2018 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

top topics

join