It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth that technology saves time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I have to agree that something odd is happening and I wonder if it is all relative to an individual's perspective or if it is something that effects the whole race? Could it be something like when a certain % of people use more technology, the % directly effects how fast things move, so the more people who use tech, the faster time will seem to go.

I think if affects the whole community. Everyone's perspective is changed and we all get drawn into the "rush" mode. You'd expect that we could create more spare time. Yet it is the opposite that happens.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I don't think technology is necessarily making life easier or better anymore

Everyone seems pretty stressed out all the time and everyone is a little crazy

That's very true.

I sometimes wonder how it is like in the Hamish community. Without television and outside interference and with horse-drawn carriages, I suspect the pace is much slower and consequently time must seems to pass much slower.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
What if I fly to another country but don’t bring my phone or check my email?

a reply to: crowdedskies

You would need to do much more to slow down the speed at which time appears to pass. You need to disconnect with the technological environment. Get out of the city; go to a remote place ; hang around with people who have no modern day appliances.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

As you get older, time goes by faster.

Remember when you were a kid? And getting out for school for the summer made it seem like the summer lasted a year? Hell, now I’m forty something and the years are going by faster and faster.

I don’t think it’s texhnologies fault, just part of the human condition called “getting old”.

I have heard that argument many times before and I do not think we should assume its validity. There appears to be stress and worry among young people. Some are looking for grey hair even in their early 20s; others are putting on their running shoes as they see the objectives of having a career, a home and a family to be an almost impossible achievement given the limited time scale.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damla
hmmm..i think i live in a non tech world. it is always like hours like years.

i look at the calender sometimes and see only two days past..i say 'it is impossibleee!!' anyway, things like this.

this is bad..because it would be better if it was like years past as it feels and bad people that i broke up with would know..'hah! i havent even thought about them for soo many years and i was having fun all around' now they look at the calander and say "it has been only two days, she ll come back" baasstards.

editby]edit on 14-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

That sounds like many suitors. They cannot all be that bad. Perhaps some of them.

You make a good point though. It is said that time heals but how the hell will it heal if it runs like a hare.

edit on 14-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
Technology does save time when it comes down to repeating routines.
Examples: manufacturing, data searching from paper to digital, transport etc.

Time is lost (wasted) when people spend that saved time on meaningless activities like Facebook, TV etc

It seems the old generation utilise free time better than today's younger generation.
Example: spending 4-5 hours at a quiet spot on a beach with no links to the technological world. Things do slow down during those hours and on the way home, the person remembers it all and knows that those hours were well spent.

I take your point.

People do misuse the time saved by technology and then wonder where time has gone. I have a particular dislike to Facebook and social media and do not want to get into a rant.

As we cannot stop those people who are now the majority, the rest get sucked in. Therefore , in my view it is correct to say that technology causes time to fly past rapidly and it directly reduces the quality of life of the rest of us.

This brings me to another consideration. Does water have a calming effect and a slowing-down effect ? I am thinking about people who leave near beaches and rivers.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

NEVER HEARD THIS MYTH BEFORE, SO MEANS NOTHING TO ME

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Well, there is no mystery here. Our ability to do things quicker and travel faster is what's behind our apparent shortened lifespan.

our life spans are increasing not decreasing.

Our perception of time moves quicker as we get older, the years go by quicker and quicker but only when we look back.

It is interesting how slow-moving animals live longer, as in the case of the tortoise (lifespan between 30 -255 years depending on species). I am not using this as evidence but more as a metaphor or analogy.

what about red worms?

these are slow moving animals and their life spans are 5 years max.

yes the analogy works with certain animals but you cannot say slow moving animals as my example shows that they can also have much shorter life spans.

However, when you combine the "quick" flight ; the cell phone that keeps you close to the ones you left behind; the email and cloud access that keeps your nose in different pies at the same time, you end up wondering where the time has gone. You 2-week stay abroad was spent in a flash and you are already back to work as if you had never gone anywhere.

yes nothing to do with technology but your perception.

You occupy yourself with many things and time goes by faster it seems.

Not so if you were sailing for two weeks with minimal technology around you. Then, you will really feel the full 2 weeks and enjoy it. You would probably not even age as much as you would if going the technological way.

But this is a different holiday than the one where you fly to another country so how can it compare.

If you were to sail to the other country and have the same holiday then it would take much much longer sailing.

Technology occupies our time much more hence time going by faster.

But its only your perception that is being tricked into thinking its taken less or more time to do something because of how focused you were on the situation at hand.

Sit there watching a digital clock, minutes feel much longer waiting for them tick by.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You'd expect that we could create more spare time. Yet it is the opposite that happens.

I can create as much spare time as I need.

Its maybe the opposite for you.

I have heard that argument many times before and I do not think we should assume its validity.

Its not an argument.

time is relative to the observer.

depending on how and with what the observer is occupied with their perception of time can vary quite a bit.

There appears to be stress and worry among young people. Some are looking for grey hair even in their early 20s; others are putting on their running shoes as they see the objectives of having a career, a home and a family to be an almost impossible achievement given the limited time scale.

This is because of an abundance of options that are flooding the minds of the younger generations.

Yes, technology is the contributing factor that creates this confusion in many.

Therefore , in my view it is correct to say that technology causes time to fly past rapidly and it directly reduces the quality of life of the rest of us.

what technology is there when there are 2 kids with a football?

They imagine they are their football hero's and go to the park to play kick to kick.

Time flies when you are having fun, no technology involved there, just a park and a ball.

This brings me to another consideration. Does water have a calming effect and a slowing-down effect ? I am thinking about people who leave near beaches and rivers.

Yes water does have a calming and relaxing effect on the human mind.

Hearing waves crash, a river run, rain fall are soothing sounds.

Its why so many holiday resorts are on tropical beaches.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

And yet you would not be able to communicate in the manner you are now doing so without advanced technologies.

Technology allows humanity to outwit nature to a fashion and is the reason we are able to use tools in the manner that we do thus allow us to maintain the luxury of being an apex predator at the top of the food chain.

Without technology, Man is simply a bald monkey and prey to rather a few of the other inhabitants of our world.

Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

depending on how and with what the observer is occupied with their perception of time can vary quite a bit.

Whichever way you look at it. Whether a question of Perception; a subjective experience; a variation between each one of us as to how the mind intergrates with the environment; or any which way, the fact remains that many people will one day snap out of their life of tweeting, Facebook upload, texting , gaming and and reality TV and realise that 60 years of their lives have gone by and they have hardly experienced any of it.

That, for me, reinforces the notion that technology never ever saved anybody time.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

What about assembly lines and mass production?

What about air travel and mass transit which allow us to cross the continents and even from one continent to another in hours.

Those technologies save a modicum of time, do they not?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

originally posted by: InhaleExhale

Whichever way you look at it. Whether a question of Perception; a subjective experience; a variation between each one of us as to how the mind intergrates with the environment; or any which way, the fact remains that many people will one day snap out of their life of tweeting, Facebook upload, texting , gaming and and reality TV and realise that 60 years of their lives have gone by and they have hardly experienced any of it.

That, for me, reinforces the notion that technology never ever saved anybody time.

Projecting?

You spend to much time using tech but cannot find a way to take steps back?

You did say this which is telling

I think if affects the whole community. Everyone's perspective is changed and we all get drawn into the "rush" mode. You'd expect that we could create more spare time. Yet it is the opposite that happens.

Yes, it was said in the thread that time does kill time but just as much as it saves time.

I fully agree.

The things you list that are to dull the mind or keep you preoccupied with social or other playtime things do waste time and when you look back yes it will seem like its been wasted.

But these dull things can also have the opposite effect every now and then to certain individuals.

meaning a post on facebook can have a lot of meaning to an individual and the time spent on facebook that day wont be looked at as a waste of time but will be remembered like time slowed because its was memorable.

This is an individuals issue and how they value what they have done.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

And yet you would not be able to communicate in the manner you are now doing so without advanced technologies.

Technology allows humanity to outwit nature to a fashion and is the reason we are able to use tools in the manner that we do thus allow us to maintain the luxury of being an apex predator at the top of the food chain.

Without technology, Man is simply a bald monkey and prey to rather a few of the other inhabitants of our world.

Just a thought.

It is a waste of time to post on ATS in any case. So, I am well aware that I have wasted time. At least I recognise it but I cannot help occasionally sending some signals that there are still humans among us.

I don't think we are able to outwit nature, except destroy it. The evidence shows that we have deforrested a large chuck of the planet and wildlife is hanging by its teeth.

The OP was not about technology but the realisation that we are letting it steal our lives.

Having said that , I think I should pick up my guitar or go out and make the most of this morning's rain and sow some grass seeds to maintain the lawn.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Perspective being the key i imagine as one mans garbage is another's treasure.

Meaningfulness i suppose is where one finds it.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

You are already outwitting nature via our conversation by using technology.

Yes the planet is changing, but without technology, we will stand zero chance of surviving said changes nor ever be able to depart the place in any kind of meaningful manner.

As to time, well that subjective really, but for all intents and purpose part of the reality, we think we experience.

Guitar idea sounds like a plan all the same.

edit on 14-10-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

That's very true.

I sometimes wonder how it is like in the Hamish community. Without television and outside interference and with horse-drawn carriages, I suspect the pace is much slower and consequently time must seems to pass much slower.

I just had a vision of a load of Scots in tall hats

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

That's very true.

Thanks a lot. It was a spelling mistake . I meant Amish community in the US (not Hamish )

Talking about the Scottish Jock, I am currently trying to buy land on the north coast of Scotland. I might become one of those tall hat "Hamish"

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

That's very true.

Thanks a lot. It was a spelling mistake . I meant Amish community in the US (not Hamish )

Talking about the Scottish Jock, I am currently trying to buy land on the north coast of Scotland. I might become one of those tall hat "Hamish"

I know, it happens to us all, it just made me laugh is all.
Wait until post Brexit, Scotland will be cheap as chips to buy land in then as most of them will have jumped off the Forth bridge

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   

The Amish in my experience are much happier than the average American. They are also nicer people.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join