It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth that technology saves time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: crowdedskies

originally posted by: toysforadults
I don't think technology is necessarily making life easier or better anymore

Everyone seems pretty stressed out all the time and everyone is a little crazy

That's very true.

I sometimes wonder how it is like in the Hamish community. Without television and outside interference and with horse-drawn carriages, I suspect the pace is much slower and consequently time must seems to pass much slower.

I just had a vision of a load of Scots in tall hats

Thanks a lot. It was a spelling mistake . I meant Amish community in the US (not Hamish )

Talking about the Scottish Jock, I am currently trying to buy land on the north coast of Scotland. I might become one of those tall hat "Hamish"

I know, it happens to us all, it just made me laugh is all.
Wait until post Brexit, Scotland will be cheap as chips to buy land in then as most of them will have jumped off the Forth bridge

Let's hope it does not get that bad and not too many jump off the Forth bridge.

All I can say is that I am endearing myself to that northernly outpost and its strange customs. Hopefully , the wickerman tradition has subsided as this is where I am heading.

edit on 14-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
on topic.
I can build a shed from bits of wood in a day using a table saw, rip saw, drill and nail gun.
Would take me a week with a hand plane, crosscut saw and a hammer.

I think sometimes technology opens up new tasks rather than serving existing needs, like twitter, say. Originally, you think it was to provide access to information you might want, then it turns into finding gossip on celebs and posting rubbish to get likes off followers and before you know it, you have wasted 20 minutes on nothing.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

I sometimes fantasize about living on one of the islands up there, gorgeous part of the world if you don't mind some cold and a bit of rain.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I sometimes fantasize about living on one of the islands up there, gorgeous part of the world if you don't mind some cold and a bit of rain.

The islands were my first choice but I did not want to be at the mercy of ferries and be stranded in bad weather. Therefore , now opting to be on the coastal mainland.

All very relevant to this OP. Aim is to make time run slower when spending time there.

edit on 14-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies look up the books by Neil Hawkesford (a foolish voyage and a foolish odyssey) about how he lived on a little, 17 foot yacht when younger, then, into his fifties he went and built a big catamaran to go live on and escape the rat race and grind of modern life.
Really good reads, both of them.

Might give you some ideas about trading off things to achieve your dream.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

a reply to: crowdedskies look up the books by Neil Hawkesford (a foolish voyage and a foolish odyssey) about how he lived on a little, 17 foot yacht when younger, then, into his fifties he went and built a big catamaran to go live on and escape the rat race and grind of modern life.
Really good reads, both of them.

Might give you some ideas about trading off things to achieve your dream.

Thanks. The books seems to have all the elements that matter - Adventure, The Ocean, The unknown and how to cope. I will certainly give it a read.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Technology is a child, Nature the parent.

Technology - being a child - constantly defies Nature, and Nature is usually a patient parent. It scolds us when we fall out of bounds but we don't listen until she says "Ok, go to your room."

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Man's endeavour to save time through technology has only had the opposite effect. People wonder why time flies ; a year goes by so quickly now - not as it used to be before. Was the first Starwars film really made 41 years ago ? It only seems like a few years ago. Was "Hotel California" really written 41 years ago? Where has the time gone ?

Well, there is no mystery here. Our ability to do things quicker and travel faster is what's behind our apparent shortened lifespan.

It is interesting how slow-moving animals live longer, as in the case of the tortoise (lifespan between 30 -255 years depending on species). I am not using this as evidence but more as a metaphor or analogy.

What I have noticed is that , for example , flying to another country may appear to save time compared to sailing. However, when you combine the "quick" flight ; the cell phone that keeps you close to the ones you left behind; the email and cloud access that keeps your nose in different pies at the same time, you end up wondering where the time has gone. You 2-week stay abroad was spent in a flash and you are already back to work as if you had never gone anywhere. Not so if you were sailing for two weeks with minimal technology around you. Then, you will really feel the full 2 weeks and enjoy it. You would probably not even age as much as you would if going the technological way.

I am convinced that those , who are unable to pull away from that whirlpool that is caused by rapid advancing technology, will find that their whole life becomes as that of a butterfly and we know how long a butterfly lives.

To rephrase: Tech micromanages your life in a smaller, faster frame...therefore..saving time.

Walk from New York to L.A....and then fly the same route. Time was saved by days or weeks by flight tech.

Your thread here was sent worlwide in an instant by tech. What if you hand delivered it to each of 300,000+ ATS members across continents and oceans?

You could not do it manually. Yet by technology...in an instant? You did....
edit on 14-10-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

In the olden days before internet, if I wanted to find the answer to a question I would have to go to the library, which would entail travel, then referencing the topic, then searching for the materials, then reading extensively hoping that I would find the answer. Now I can have a question answered within seconds using the information highway. I'm good with that.

Time passes so slowly if you are unaware of it and so quickly if you are aware of it. Marc Bolan

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I have heard that argument many times before and I do not think we should assume its validity.

Ask anyone who is a grandpa or older. They will tell you the same thing.

There appears to be stress and worry among young people.

It's called "life" my friend, and it affects all ages, not just the youngsters.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior

As you get older, time goes by faster.

Remember when you were a kid? And getting out for school for the summer made it seem like the summer lasted a year? Hell, now I’m forty something and the years are going by faster and faster.

I don’t think it’s texhnologies fault, just part of the human condition called “getting old”.

I think time went by slower when we were younger because we had less information in our minds. Less things to think about and less things to worry about. Poor kids today are stressed out in the virtual world as well as the real world.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I thought I would add a few more observations.

I briefly mentioned in the OP the relationship of movement and time ; where , as you increase the pace, time moves faster. As we do things faster time passes faster. Technology increases the pace of everything we do.

Imagine how a day would be shorter if the sun moved across the sky faster; i.e. the earth rotated a weeny bit faster. By the same token, the faster we physically move and the faster we achieve something must mean that time too is moving faster.

I am not going into the theory of relativity or any advances physics. I am just saying that our metabolism is getting into turbo mode making us age more quickly. Have no fear though, you can still step off the fast train.

In short, I want to reinterate the notion that slowing down does create time .

Speed and movements and their effect on the mind and consequently matter have never been properly studied.

For those who have done sports involving precision movements such as gymnastics, diving from 3m or 10m, highjump, pole vault, etc you will know how it is possible to slow time to allow for all the necessary manoeuvres to be performed. The question is : do you slow time or do you slow your movement ? Answer : Movement and time are the same. How do you do it ? It is done through the mind - the ultimate interface between body and environment. Using the old cliche, it is the old Mind over Matter thingy.

I remember an interesting experience I had as a teenager. We were on a family holiday in the italian part of Switzerland ( I think it was near Lugano). My parents were going out with their friends and had taken us along to a nice restaurant with live rock music. When we went back to the car a few hours later and turned on the car cassette player, the music played very fast. It was like a 33 LP playing at 45 speed. All of us noticed that and it kept playing at that very fast speed for more than an hour. We concluded that the band in the restaurant must have been playing every song at a slower tempo than normal and our brain has got used to the slower tempo which became the new norm. Good old italians they do know how to live.

The lesson of the above is that time, sound, movement , colour , temperature and much more are interwoven and it is no surprise that manipulating any of these elements can bring about changes in environment.

Similarly, a near death experience or emergence from a very uncomfortable physical predicament can suddently open all senses and play havoc with time as we suddenly recalibrate and enjoy the full power of the experience.

[
edit on 15-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Does the fact that the moon is moving away from the Earth have anything to do with time slowing or speeding up?

The Moon continues to spin away from the Earth, at the rate of 3.78cm (1.48in) per year. That's about the same rate at which your fingernails grow.

It may be nothing, but it also may be something to look at; gravitational field dilation, maybe?

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I briefly mentioned in the OP the relationship of movement and time ; where , as you increase the pace, time moves faster. As we do things faster time passes faster. Technology increases the pace of everything we do.

That relationship is your perception.

Now an example to show the opposite that you can increase speed but still make a minute feel longer than it should.

and then another also increasing speed but a minute feels like just a moment and it sall due to your focus and perception.

Get in a train, as it starts to take off you are speeding up, while its doing that watch and wait for a digital clock to tick over from 1 minute to then next and then another.

That minute wont feel quicker because you are accelerating.

Now get in V8 powered car and plant your foot so the back end kicks out and you are drifting all over the place,

have a stop watch count down a minute and set off an alarm after a minute.

That minute will feel very quick because you are not focused on the time but on staying alive and keeping control of the car, where as on the train you are focused on the time and the same minute while you are also speeding up drags on forever.

Speed and movements and their effect on the mind and consequently matter have never been properly studied.

The effects of speed and moving objects and their interactions with matter and the human mind are very well studied.

Basic motor functions and how motion and our mind works are very well known about.

For those who have done sports involving precision movements such as gymnastics, diving from 3m or 10m, highjump, pole vault, etc you will know how it is possible to slow time to allow for all the necessary manoeuvres to be performed. The question is : do you slow time or do you slow your movement ? Answer : Movement and time are the same. How do you do it ? It is done through the mind - the ultimate interface between body and environment. Using the old cliche, it is the old Mind over Matter thingy.

So after disagreeing with a few that point out its simply our perception, you go and give a very good example how it is our perception that changes based on what we are doing and focused on.

I guess.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

You have not really provided practical examples. The V8 engine example is about the same as telling someone to carry out an experience with time by jumping off a tall building.

Your concluding paragraph fails to acknowledge that the gymnast is able to pull a stunt which is physical . It is not a perception stunt. The intergration of the mind to the environment is the source of all magic and achievement of seemingly impossible feats.

I started talking about the link between time and movement . As we all know time on the clock exists only because the earth rotates and one turn has been arbitrarily divided into 24 hours. In the OP I turned the concept of time a little bit on its head. I presented the notion that moving faster and and doing things faster made time run faster too.

Rather than take on board the concept - temporarily at least, for the sake of discussion - I am getting the "it's all in the mind" response from some people. Did not realise this has become a Psychology forum.

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Only perception can change time..so it is with the perceptions we have of tools that guides our time!

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

The V8 engine example is about the same as telling someone to carry out an experience with time by jumping off a tall building.

Driving a car fast and jumping off a building is the same experience to you?

You really don't get the example?

One is a train where you are not in control and can watch the time tick by,

the other is,

you are in control of the vehicle and cannot focus on the time so it seems "perceptually" to go by quicker than when you are not focused on controlling the vehicle and can focus on watching the minutes or seconds tick by which can seem like forever.

Your concluding paragraph fails to acknowledge that the gymnast is able to pull a stunt which is physical .

I specifically addressed that because you say it is perception by what you post.

Does time slow down for the spectators or just the athlete in that case?

I have both played high level sports, state level basketball in Australia and watched a lots of sports.

I know exactly the sensation you are talking about about time slowing down.

Sometimes it goes even beyond time slowing when playing a team sport in my experience where you can see the play moments before it happens, you are in the moment, when it happens it happens in slow motion for you and maybe your team mates involved will also be in the moment but not the spectators, this is why televised sports used the instant replay moments so often because spectators are focused on the game and can have a lot emotion running through them but they aren't experiencing what the actual players are.

Its happened when I have lost control of my car and regained control as well, that is why I used the car example.

as any race car driver about those moments, ask them about a crash that seems to make time slow as its happening yet its split second shock for spectators that need to see an instant replay to really capture the moment, the driver doesn't need the instant replay as chances are they experienced a slowing of time due to the extreme stress of the moment.

Your mind sharpens to the moment at hand, the more intense the more focused your mind gets and makes your perception of that moment feel like time has slowed.

I started talking about the link between time and movement . As we all know time on the clock exists only because the earth rotates and one turn has been arbitrarily divided into 24 hours. In the OP I turned the concept of time a little bit on its head. I presented the notion that moving faster and and doing things faster made time run faster too.

Yes and I gave you an example that shows that it can work both ways because its about our perception not time actually speeding up or slowing down.

Rather than take on board the concept - temporarily at least, for the sake of discussion - I am getting the "it's all in the mind" response from some people. Did not realise this has become a Psychology forum.

No you are getting discussion, some posters are trying to explain their opinions about things and examples you posted.

That is taking your concept on board and showing that what you presenting is a concept based on our perception.

The examples you provide about the athletes makes it clear enough that its perception.

edit on 17-10-2018 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Technology has made our lives easier. Ketsuko and I both work 35+ miles from our home. Our son goes to school 2 miles away from the house. We are both able to see him in the morning, go to work, put in a day, and come home to see him at night. Meanwhile Ketsuko and I can email/text each other for plans that night for dinner, karate practice, dtop by the store to pick something up, etc. Even better, I can work from home (telecommute) at least once a week so I can stay home for my son to see him off and be home, plus not need to travel while doing my work. That is an enormous amount of travel (aka distance) and settled communication (aka time) that can be save relative to what people had even 20 years ago, let alone 50 or 100.

As far as I'm concerned technology isn't making time go faster, our lack of time management is. That, and as other people have said - an year to a 40 year old is less a percentage of their life as it is to 4 year old, it's all about perception. If we could live to 500+ years, how would we perceive a month or an hour?

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

I will not quote what you are saying as you have explained yourself very clearly and I and most here can follow your argument. In any case your latest post is almost just above this post.

However, I would suggest that if we move away from the word perception it becomes easier to investigate the phenomenon of time manipulation.

If I can move twice as fast as my Kung Fu sparing partner , I have the advantage. I know the experience you mentioned about visualising the next moves, etc. I always used to do it when high Jumping. I ran through the motion mentally and saw myself clearing the bar then I did the real thing. Still, I need to stress that it is not a mind game and nor a perception exercise. There is real time manipulation happening in the background of all of this. In the case of the spectators and the performer , two separate times scales are in operation simutaneously; not two sets of perceptions. It is a paradox and within paradoxes lie many secrets.

I put it to you that it is a bit of magic; as if the audience froze and time stood still whilst the performer carried on moving.

But where does all this fit in with the OP which seems to be about the relationship between speed of doing things and the passing of time. Well, you can shift the axis from Speed affecting time to Time affecting speed. Going back to my Kung Fu example, if I switch to another faster time plane I am able to make movements so fast that nobody can see it coming. If it was filmed on slow-motion camera, the audience as well as my sparring partner would look frozen whilst I would be making a dozen wide , swinging movements.

edit on 17-10-2018 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
Technology has made our lives easier.

But may cause a lot of regret to our children. What memories will they have when they grow old. Will they ask : "where did my life go?"

As far as I'm concerned technology isn't making time go faster, our lack of time management is.

You may well understand the concept of time management. I do . When I was born personal computers did not exist . Neither did cell phones. But think about those poor children born today. They are already into reality TV from the womb. By the time they are 3 , they are already sucked in to the virtual world. What hope do they have of stepping out into the real world - something they have never known.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join