It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stinky fish challenge. Surstromming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: ketsuko
Durian is supposed to taste all right if you can get past the smell.

I'm not sure there's any excuse for balut ... except starvation.

there is an asian market in cleveland that sells them for like 75 cents a piece

from what i understand certain people feel it is quite the tasty snack

gross

edible birds nest is another one i cant do

en.wikipedia.org...

Edible bird's nests are bird nests created by edible-nest swiftlets, Indian swiftlets, and other swiftlets using solidified saliva, which are harvested for human consumption. They are particularly prized in Chinese culture due to their rarity, supposedly high nutritional value, and flavour. Edible bird's nests are among the most expensive animal products consumed by humans,[1] with nests being sold at prices up to about US$3,000 per pound, depending on grading

wont eat that but i would love to try civet coffee

go figure

You are fortunate to have an Asian market!

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

pittsburg right?

no little chinatown around those parts?

most bigish cities have a little something

the one in cleveland is not fantastic but it works

i get congee there a lot

thats some good #'

www.amazon.com...=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=congee

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I've eaten that before, it came in plastic kegs when I was a kid. My father and uncles would buy it occasionally, I did not eat much of it but did eat it to try to fit in. Worcestershire sauce has rotted fish juice in it, you do not hear people complain like these people about that. I know the taste of rotted fish well from when I was a kid. Ummami.

It sure took that guy a long time to open that can of fish.
edit on 13-10-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

pittsburg right?

no little chinatown around those parts?

most bigish cities have a little something

the one in cleveland is not fantastic but it works

i get congee there a lot

thats some good #'

www.amazon.com...=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=congee

Yea, too far for me man. I get weird if I am in a car for more than 15, 20 minutes!

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I nearly bought some a couple of years ago and realised it'd be a very, very, very, very stupid move. Two fingers down the throat and sniffing a can of old tuna will do the same thing for free.

I've got a saliva build-up at the back of my throat from watching the video - it's like sympathetic retching. How on Earth did that stuff catch on? It's basically like carrion in a can. He had a brave go and his oldest kid barely flinched; the stench didn't bother her at all like with the other three. Could be a future champion eater of surstromming.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

wow, that avatar though.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well she was going to get a new bike! If someone told me that I may get a mongoose just like the one back in the day I would suffer through just about anything. But it has to have those sweet pegs!
Man I miss trying to show off but yet sucking ass at the same time.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Hey I remember the Mongoose! A friend had one and then got sponsored by Torker (sp?). One of childhood's big sigh moments when your mate is brilliant at something and you're barely average.

Sitting next to someone eating rancid fish for a free bike would have been a sweet deal. The kid still had a strong stomach or had her sense of smell removed at birth.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

what bike? nobody is talking about bike

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

What I meant is that things like balut and surstromming get into a culture's food vocabulary through starvation. At some point, people were desperate for something to eat, and that was what they had, so they ate it, decided it wasn't that bad after they didn't die from it ... and after that, it became part of the diet.

It's the only way I can figure a lot of things like ackee or hakarl, for example. It's poisonous unless you prepare it correctly. So at some point, people had to be desperate enough to eat to keep risking poisoning to try to eat it in order to figure out how to do it safely.
edit on 14-10-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join