It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Talk while on Vacation in Italy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
O-M-G.
My wife and I are on Holiday in Italy. We are doing a self-catering deal in a little place near Todi, having a brilliant time. We decide to go to Assisi for the day which is where the Monk Francesco started his order. Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we are sitting in this fab bar, enjoying the view when a couple asks if I am American. I say, yes and the 60 something white dude immediately asks, "whatcha think of Trump?" My wife(a Brit) gives me the evil eye, so I just say I dont do politics on Holiday. This fool proceeds to say that he fears to go back to the US so he may stay in Italy. Come to find out, they are teachers from the San Fran Bay area. I did not mention the drugs/poo/Hep A problems, nor that San Fran is labeled as the "best City to Never go Back Too". But the cheek of acting like an infantile child on what is one of the most beautiful places in the world just pissed me off. I wanted to throw them both off the cliff we were dining near.

I did get in that the flyover states were tired of the left/right coasts trying to run/ruin everything, which is why they elected the Tman.

Seriously folks....leave your freakin politics at home. You are embarrassing.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Yea politics doesn't mix well with
Holidays and vacations.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: VividestSum93

Yea politics doesn't mix well with
Holidays and vacations.

Or family dinners.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah that too.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I did get in that the flyover states were tired of the left/right coasts trying to run/ruin everything, which is why they elected the Tman.

You’ve touched on something here. To make the electoral college more equal maybe there needs to be a mass exodus of liberals from both coasts into middle America? You know, to even things up a little bit.

I’m going to bring this up at next weeks Communist Party meeting. Right after the spirit cooking and the orphan auction.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Who does that!? I could see it at Disneyworld....but in the heart of christianity! Jeezus the world is awash in fools.

a reply to: VividestSum93

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I guess some people are obsessed with Politics.
I remember a few times The media was encouraging people to discuss certain
Political topics during holiday season
Last year.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Who does that!? I could see it at Disneyworld....but in the heart of christianity! Jeezus the world is awash in fools.

HeHe..
The "Heart of Christianity" ain't in Italy, Sweet Pea.

Edit:
Sorry. That was off-topic. It was just the first thought that popped up.

As far as discussing Politics when on vacation, Try this:

Give them two (2, deux, zwei) sentences before you decide. Then you can pretty much tell whether you should continue, or just smile, nod semi-agreeingly, and bail...

Looks like you should have bailed!

Joke.

I'm not actually an a$$hole in real life, but I do play one on ATS.

edit on 11-10-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

OK, enlighten me SourPuss.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Just wanted to pimp slap the guy and say, look around you! He did get in that he lived on the Bay several times. I mentioned that I was retired military and he went all talking to the blebs mode. I kept me cool though. Not gonna be "that" guy, that cannot carry on a civil conversation.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Easy remedy: learn the language and try to speak Italian where ever you go. This way no one knows what you are or where you're from.

When I go it's usually by myself so I try to blend in as much as possible. Plus it's fun when the American tourists come up to you with their translation books and try to ask questions in Italian. The reaction is priceless when I answer them in English and tell them I'm from Philadelphia.

On a side note, I'd love to hear a recap of your trip. I'm thinking about going back next year.

Ciao e buon vacanze.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

Wish I knew how to post pics.
Day 1.... Todi.
Day 2 ....Florence
Day 3...San Gemeni(along with Roman ruins nearby)
Day 4...Rome
Day 5...Assisi
Day 6...Polleta

We stayed in Izzalini. The road works sucked!!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

No worries. I don't really care if peeps know where I am from. In the old days back on the 90's it got me a lot of free pints from the ole WW2 boys in the UK. Honestly, though, you get a lot of rich pricks with more money than sense trying to belittle you with their superiority complex. It's just to much for me to let that go. Luckily my wife has the "eye" which keeps me in check!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
As a member of one of those “fly over states”, we do not want those ass holes, from either coast.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

OK, enlighten me SourPuss.

1. Catholicism ain't Christianity

2. wiki ...."the five countries with the largest number of Catholics are, in decreasing order of Catholic population, Brazil, Mexico, the Philippines, the United States, and Italy."

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Looks like a nice place you holiday'd at.

They are teachers from the San Fran area who you describe as left leaning and yet you have no problem displaying the same characteristics as them in accepting freebies from "rich pricks"

hmmmm

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
As a member of one of those “fly over states”, we do not want those ass holes, from either coast.
Hey man I’m a transplant from Cali, not all of us are crazy. 😤😋

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Huh? Accepted freebies? You lost me there.

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Meh...they are al the same to me. Same god...different names. Build pretty buildings with slave labor. Ironic thing is watching the beggars work in the shadow of these great jesus loving palaces. Untold wealth inside with untold poor just inches away. But I digress.

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Can I come with you next time, pleeze? Promise no political talk. I like Italian food.
edit on 11-10-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join