It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-mas is 98 days away and stores don't have enough workers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Dont worry.
All the seats workers losing their jobs will fill the empty spaces

What are "seats workers"?

I've read your comment 3 times and i can't figure it out.

Sorry, auto correct....

Sears not seats....

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm prepping my Louisville Slugger by wrapping barbed wire around the head so I can seal-club anyone who gets in the way of me trying to obtain more cheap, unnecessary, consumerist junk.

I will Negan your friggin noggin if you get in my way.

You big puffy girls blouse..

I dip my bat in 17 days old cute baby hamster dribble first...

Call yourself a Mason...
edit on 18-9-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling and sunlight and whatever!?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
After fifty plus years of shopping. My moto is to give money. It is always appreciated, fits, never has to be returned, and is always in style, no matter how small the amount. The giver actually gets a break from the whole hassle of shopping and returning. My kids spend it on exactly what they need or save it. Then nothing is wasted, thrown out, stored forever in the closet, given to good will, or re gifted. I buy stocking stuffers like food, a Christmas ornament, school spirit colored tooth brushes, school coasters, cosmetics, etc. I made my mind up about this when my husband was buying me electric mouse traps, personal shavers, and other weird crap I had to return. I would rather have a weekend trip to a city nearby and ethnic unusual food dinner. Car repairs, or something on the house fixed.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: frugal

An electric mouse trap?? and you're still married???

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
So they've got 98 days to hire more workers.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sotomar

No one wants to work during the holidays The angriest time of year in retail and food service...

All that money ends up in a therapists hands anyway

Stop complaining, therapists have to eat too...thats why the DSM keeps growing with conditions to treat.

You have "work-avoidance season affective disorder" that'll be 10 sessions in Jan/Feb 2019, cash only.

How else will the economy survive?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

What is funny, the places that I go on a regular basis the waitresses give me a discount, and often some free food

hmmm...so because they like you they steal off their boss. OK

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I keeping hoping that to be true, but I rarely see it in action. The companies that have competitive decent pay were on the ball already.

The companies that pay base workers low are still doing so despite every incentive to pay more. You can have a company that has thousands of locations struggling to find workers because pay is minimum wage.

Yet, despite tax breaks, stressed managers, and high employee turnover, they still refuse to up the wage.

The company I work for recently changed their hiring strategy to "interview and hire anyone at base level".

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
A shortage is a gpod thing. The reason there is a shortage is because there are better alternatives. Retailers will need to raise wages to get the help they need.

This is how economics works.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

no worries, I guess there will be some politicans, journalists and ex-agency members available, if they don´t go to jail first...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Aw, Chris†mas™ the time where We celebrate the birth of Jesus The Chris†, by acting the exact opposite for what He stood for by going out a killing a perfectly, fine Yew and then decorating same with flashy lights and shimmering dangles. Then many head out and treat others with little or no respect, shove; cut-off; others in the pursuit of ¢ommer¢ial good$ that the recipient will just return on the 26th for a 'Gift Card'...

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
None of the major stores have enough staff to handle the season . Thus they hire a LOT of temporary help. Call it seasonal
Been that way for as long as I can remember .
To clue you in , I got a seasonal job with Grants doing layaways

Does anyone remember Grants ?

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I doubt it's going to be the lack of seasonal workers that makes the season a difficult one in terms of sales, the tariff hikes are likely to do that. Based on expected tariff-based price hikes, I'm anticipating buying less, and we already limit gifts to a max of 4 store-bought per recipient anyway -- we usually end up staying at or below $400 total spent that way.

I think getting slapped with higher prices is going to make a bigger difference than people think, us early planners are already bracing for it and reducing accordingly. This is not going to help the economy during holiday sales any.
edit on 9/18/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
LOL

"Don't have enough workers" could be stated differently:

"Aren't willing to pay people enough to make it worth their time"

This is a labor demand market...they are going to have to start pushing wages up (finally) in response.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yep.

I'm seeing a lot of stores struggling to find people thinking it's still 2008.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I find the Christmas shopping season to be paradoxical. The idea is that you're supposed to take time off work to spend with your loved ones, yet many use it as an opportunity to pick up a second job and spend even less time at home. That's not something I've ever agreed with.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You are so right. The retailers that are smart will pay more (a lot more) and get to pick the best workers.
We'll see who those retailers are.

I know who they aren't:
Hobby Lobby
Walmart
Home Depot
Macys

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I want to be the psychedelic shaman Santa Claus, all dressed up like Amanita muscaria.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So... the stores need 98 day slaves to push their cheap crap.

Know what I say? Tough *luck*, retail! They can go suck a bug.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You are so right. The retailers that are smart will pay more (a lot more) and get to pick the best workers.
We'll see who those retailers are.

I know who they aren't:
Hobby Lobby
Walmart
Home Depot
Macys

So right about that. As an associate at Wally-world, we're already hurting for employees in a big way. Every team in the store is short people so that day to day functioning is becoming a joke. We should have 12 people on ours. We have 5 to cover 2 shifts from 8 am to 10 pm, 7 days a week. Every new person they've hired recently has quit within 2-3 weeks after the stress got to them and they realized just how bad it can get.

Halloween is coming quick. Then Black Friday shopping. Then Christmas and Boxing Day and we're going to be in serious trouble. You know it's bad when people from the accounting office are being pulled back to the back to help unload trucks. Geez.

People are stressed, sore, and so burnt out. Some changes have to be made. Can't run a major retail store like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join